Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:18 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:05 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The new touchscreen kernel routines make a BIG difference. It seems to me, that the whole system is more responsive, too. And i noticed some changes in battery management. Indicator is more precise during loading and the device does not get so hot anymore. I am VERY satisfied with this version. Hopefully they release sources, too.

One other thing: After fiddeling around with it last weekend, i got google market working. Only had to add some files from Sir Doms/Himselfs image, and it worked. Atm i am test-running but no problems so far.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:22 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

vdelf wrote:
One other thing: After fiddeling around with it last weekend, i got google market working. Only had to add some files from Sir Doms/Himselfs image, and it worked. Atm i am test-running but no problems so far.

If Market works out for you, can you let us know how you did it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:08 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

vdelf wrote:
The new touchscreen kernel routines make a BIG difference. It seems to me, that the whole system is more responsive, too. And i noticed some changes in battery management. Indicator is more precise during loading and the device does not get so hot anymore. I am VERY satisfied with this version. Hopefully they release sources, too.

Can you post your custom firmware??

Ty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:12 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Hiruko wrote:

Ty

I think he is talking about the latest official build from Archos.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:19 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hiruko wrote:
vdelf wrote:

Ty

sounds promising! Please let us have some instructions on how to get Market on the new firmware!

Thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:16 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I will upload the update.img on weekend. And as soon as i find some time, i will add some instructions to the wiki about what is changed.

Does anyone know some webspace for uploading? rapidshare only allows 10 downloads, and i dont now about all the others... please pm me any tips.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:29 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

vdelf wrote:
I will upload the update.img on weekend. And as soon as i find some time, i will add some instructions to the wiki about what is changed.

Does anyone know some webspace for uploading? rapidshare only allows 10 downloads, and i dont now about all the others... please pm me any tips.

Hi vdelf, i can host the file if you want, send me a pm if you still need where to put the file

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:00 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

vdelf wrote:

I can add it to www.a7ht.co.cc and host to you as well.

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:05 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

i uploaded the image to
http://www.mediafire.com/?y811m1tvdus59xd

I also pm'ed pmarin and pettipiere to host it, too.

To get market working, i added the following files to system.img
  • /etc/permissions/com.google.android.gtalkservice.xml
  • /etc/permissions/com.google.android.maps.xml (this may be not necessary)
  • /framework/com.google.android.gtalkservice.jar
  • /framework/com.google.android.maps.jar (this may be not necessary)
  • /system/GoogleApps.apk
  • /system/gtalkservice.apk
  • /system/ImProvider.apk
  • /system/SetupWizard.apk
  • /system/Vending.apk

One modification in boot.img:
added the line ro.setupwizard.mode=EMULATOR to the file default.prop. Otherwise we would be stuck in the setup wizard, because wlan is not set up but to complete the initial google config we need internet access. And for some reason there is no way to skip it. With this option the setup wizard will start if you want to access the market.

thats it.

None of this was discovered by me. All credits go to knightdominion and Himself, i only adapted their work to the archos update. All files were taken from knightdominion's 0.2.1 image. I hope this update.img works for you as well as it workes for me :-)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:23 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Thanks vdelf,

I'm downloading now. When I get around to trying your firmware, I'll report back.

Just one quick question, does this have the standard app space or larger space?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:04 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

vdelf wrote:
i uploaded the image to
http://www.mediafire.com/?y811m1tvdus59xd

I also pm'ed pmarin and pettipiere to host it, too.

To get market working, i added the following files to system.img
  • /etc/permissions/com.google.android.gtalkservice.xml
  • /etc/permissions/com.google.android.maps.xml (this may be not necessary)
  • /framework/com.google.android.gtalkservice.jar
  • /framework/com.google.android.maps.jar (this may be not necessary)
  • /system/GoogleApps.apk
  • /system/gtalkservice.apk
  • /system/ImProvider.apk
  • /system/SetupWizard.apk
  • /system/Vending.apk

One modification in boot.img:
added the line ro.setupwizard.mode=EMULATOR to the file default.prop. Otherwise we would be stuck in the setup wizard, because wlan is not set up but to complete the initial google config we need internet access. And for some reason there is no way to skip it. With this option the setup wizard will start if you want to access the market.

thats it.

None of this was discovered by me. All credits go to knightdominion and Himself, i only adapted their work to the archos update. All files were taken from knightdominion's 0.2.1 image. I hope this update.img works for you as well as it workes for me :-)

I'm uploading the file right now, I'll let you know when its up.

For what I've read, you'll need to install googlecontactsprovider.apk after flashing the ROM, to get Contacts Sync working. Dom did that because that file cant be installed by default (that's what I remember, but my memory sucks hehe)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:10 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The modification is as small as possible to get market working. Dont know whether contacts, calendar, ... works, i never tried it.

And i did not change any partition size so it is still the original (to) small app-space.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:13 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

the ad hoc working

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:56 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Ok guys, the update is up, you can get it here (in the Other ROMs section):
http://archoshacks.blogspot.com

One more thing, I made that site to host Dom's ROMs back in July, but time went by and we never posted it in the forums. If you want to get into modifying ROMs, you can read the Guides section, there you will find what you need to do to bake you own ROM. I added vdelf's instructions on how to make the market work.

The guide is based on the work done by Dom, all the credit goes to him.

Regards

Patrick

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for your works !!

@pmarin

maybe on http://archoshacks.blogspot.com you could decribe the procedue from 0.21 (with larger Toolspace)
back to "Original" Partitions a little more detailed with links to the tools ??

I think many peaple are waiting for a new Version from "himself" with same big partitionlayout, but can't wait to test the
updatet Image from Archos. So the have to format completly the Archos7HT ??

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:55 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Alex1971 wrote:
Thanks for your works !!

@pmarin

maybe on http://archoshacks.blogspot.com you could decribe the procedue from 0.21 (with larger Toolspace)
back to "Original" Partitions a little more detailed with links to the tools ??

I think many peaple are waiting for a new Version from "himself" with same big partitionlayout, but can't wait to test the
updatet Image from Archos. So the have to format completly the Archos7HT ??

Done :)

http://archoshacks.blogspot.com/p/frequ ... tions.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:57 am 
Archos User
Archos User

After unzipping the update zip file, I found along with the image file, there was a directory System. System contained the directory APK, which held directories BE, DE, FR, GB and COMMON. The directories BE, DE, FR and GB are the application Deezer in four different languages. I have no use for Deezer so I deleted them just to save the space. The directory COMMON holds the new applications for this image. Most, which I do not normally use. They were deleted, too. As an experiment, I placed in COMMON, applications (Advance Task Manager, etc.) that I used more often. I update the firmware and Yes, the applications in /System/APK/COMMON were installed as part of the updating process. This is a way of installing previously brought Android Market applications. They are available after the update image installation. This is a handy way of eliminating the need to re-install applications after updating the firmware. I hope Archos keeps it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:43 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Just a heads up....the newest vdelf ROM hosted on Archos Hacks: Other ROMs is not downloading completely. I have broadband, and have attempted to download it several times. The closest I got was 40MB. I had to go ahead and used the mediafire link instead.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:38 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

lakehousetech wrote:
Just a heads up....the newest vdelf ROM hosted on Archos Hacks: Other ROMs is not downloading completely. I have broadband, and have attempted to download it several times. The closest I got was 40MB. I had to go ahead and used the mediafire link instead.

Same here for the download.

After installing, I tried the Market: this fails for me, the download of s selected program does not start. It stays in the 'starting...' phase in the downloads overview.
(Yers I configured my WiFi network before trying and also rebooted just in case)
I also had a wackup after a few minutes with this version...

I went back to the stock Archos, for my usage (playing videos and some webaccess) it is enough anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:29 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

the Vdelf file is available from my site http://www.a7ht.co.cc.
As soon as I have a copy on my server I will be making the new Himself image available as well.

chris

Anybody who gets a problem PM me.