Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:46 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

oguie wrote:
I "upgraded" (more like downgraded) from Himself 0.15 and apparently RKandroid is a must.

I first applied the first update and then I followed the official instructions and applied this update.

First the obvious, two new apps, Skeet and CineShowTime. AppsLib seems to be upgraded.

The not-so-obvious, I can confirm that the keyboard feels more accurate.

Will report on other issues like the wake-ups as I continue using it.

What happend to the market and the aditional space after the update?? from himself /sir doom firmware??
Did you loose the aditional extra space for apps??
Android market stay alive or loss??

Ty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:14 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

They are gone.

Remember two things: 1. you are flashing a new image, which means everytning in the non-data folder is lost; 2. the extended partition size is non standard, and since you are applying the official image, the system and data partition have to be resized, ergo you lose the data folder too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:48 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

W'll I took the plunge and put it on my machine, it looks like they fixed the wakeup every-so-often.

Or at least, leaving the machine 'on hold' for the night reduced the power by only a few percent it looks like.

(just one night of testing, but this does look promising)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:09 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

ViPaSoft wrote:
Has this Firmware got the same small App Partition or have Archos seen sense and increased it.

Thanks in advance.

Archos has maintained their sensible low Apps Partition Space of 58M. However a number of System Apps are now optional installs which means there is more Available Space left from the 58M total after the image update.

If you need more Apps Partition Space you might want to stay with the community FW.

Allen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:12 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

frblckstr wrote:
W'll I took the plunge and put it on my machine, it looks like they fixed the wakeup every-so-often.

Or at least, leaving the machine 'on hold' for the night reduced the power by only a few percent it looks like.

(just one night of testing, but this does look promising)

After I applied the update I installed some Apps from the update's System/Apps/Common/ folder including the new paid Apps AppsLib.

I'm getting Unexpected Wakeups at around the 1h30min mark. Still more testing to do tomorrow.

Allen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:16 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Cheers Allen.

Appreciate the response. Think I may stick with Himselfs FW for now, though the enhanced calibration and keyboard sensitivity is appealing.

I no longer need Market as I have all the apps I need from their and the one I use the most is soon to end Android 1.5 support, but as I'm considering an A101 thats not really an issue.

Also, do I need all the Apps Space anyway. You can easily install and uninstall apps and they are small enough to keep on the SD Card, (extrernal memory).

I need to think, (and that makes my brain hurt...)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:51 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

i think the new archos update is better than the factory one, this one is a lot faster and stable, i think it's the best one from all the the other firmwares i used, it boots faster than the other ones and screen calibration is really improved. Gracias.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:02 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I flashed Knightdominion's V3 rom instead of his rooted version cos I didn't want to mess with "unrooting" my A7HT.
I'm now thinking of updating to the latest official FW for the improved touchscreen driver. The main difference I see from V3 is that I will lose access to Marketplace.

Can anyone share whether the touchscreen experience (and better keyboard accuracy) of the latest official FW is really an improvement over V3 and worth switching over to at the expense of access to Marketplace?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:11 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

ywk69 wrote:
I flashed Knightdominion's V3 rom instead of his rooted version cos I didn't want to mess with "unrooting" my A7HT.
I'm now thinking of updating to the latest official FW for the improved touchscreen driver. The main difference I see from V3 is that I will lose access to Marketplace.

Can anyone share whether the touchscreen experience (and better keyboard accuracy) of the latest official FW is really an improvement over V3 and worth switching over to at the expense of access to Marketplace?

The touchscreen experience is like night and day. Haven't used my stylus since I upgraded. GREAT improvement, though not having Market is a bummer.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:46 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Anyone know if Himself or Sirdoom , goin to release a Market/More space version of the new Firmware???

Ty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:10 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Tunker wrote:
The touchscreen experience is like night and day. Haven't used my stylus since I upgraded. GREAT improvement, though not having Market is a bummer.

I agree. My A7HD came with the new firmware (got it last week). I've since installed Himself's .15.

I love having the market and root access but the touchscreen is now sooo annoying. I had to pull the stylus out of an old HTC I had lying around...

Himself said that he would release a new rom based on the latest Archos firmware. Can't wait for that :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:16 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hiruko wrote:
Anyone know if Himself or Sirdoom , goin to release a Market/More space version of the new Firmware???

Ty

It seems that SirDom has flown the nest, but Himself is putting a lot of work in to bring us better, more stable FW.

People should visit his site and if you like what he's doing, maybe donate on his first page.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:27 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I tried this new firmware yesterday. I found the screen to be a bit too sensitive, trying to scroll down lists was a pain.
However the main problem with it was that it didn't like my lovingly re-encoded video files. These didn't play well any more with all sorts of brightness changes and weird mosiac effects.
I've gone back to a previous firmware now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The new touch screen is awsome. It makes up for the lack of App space for me. I do not have alot of apps after installing everything I need I only have 10 megs left, but that is OK. The touch screen requires you relearn how to swipe and scroll lists but you get used to it after a couple of days. The best part is I can actually type with out having to many screw ups. The touch screen was my biggest gripe about the device. (Yes I knew when I bought it the screen was resistive) But it is now comparable to most of the other resistive touch devices out there. I can't wait for the new FW with increased app space. Hopefully wellworth it and praises to anyone who works on it because I do not have the knowledge nor time to do it myself. I am more of a Network guy rather than a software.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:43 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have to agree that the new touchscreen experience is well worth the sacrifice of not having Marketplace on the device. The short list of apps that I have installed is sufficient for what I usually use the A7HT for. In any case, Android 1.5 places a natural limitation on the apps that can be installed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:27 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I can't help myself but install the latest firmware. I used himself 0.15 custom firmware with android market and liked it very much. It's the first time that happened to me the stuck at Archos logo at boot up. You really need the RKandroid tool mentioned in this thread to reflashed with the original firmware then the latest firmware. This really is good, browsing is a breeze, the keyboard rocks, no need for firm presses, the touch experience really improved.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I do have to agree about app to reinstall firmware I got stuck at the logo as well ciming from SIR DOMS firmware but figured it out because someone else mentioned the flasher.
Was easy enough and I flashed directly to the updated ROM from ARCHOS.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:47 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi all,
considering upgrading from V3, can someone who upgraded tell me if there's support with hebrew fonts?

thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:30 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I do not know about hebrew fonts is there a way to check? If so tell me how and I will try to help you out. If the original Archos FW did I would think ths one would.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:14 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well, it didn't.
I tried to get that fixed myself and worked my ass off, unsuccessfully.
I guess the easiest way is to try a Hebrew site like- haaretz.co.il or ynet.co.il
Or change language settings to Hebrew (the option was there on the old FW, that's why i got it... silly me) and see if you get a Hebrew keyboard.