Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:13 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:06 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I just got Archos 7 HT 8 Gig refurb from TigerDirect, it is V1 version. and operating system is 1.5!
but I remember that in TigerDirect website they said operating system is 2.1!
I am so angry now~... for lots of software can't be setup in 1.5 system...

I just found you guys also have been cheated by TigerDirect~ and someone said that it can be returned in 30days...

So now I want to know whether the Archos 7 HT V1 can install the custom ROM to update its system to 2.1,or 2.2? and which one is stable?
How to install new operating system? is there any tutorial for this?

if it is too much trouble , i will return it...

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:56 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I wrote a thread concerning the different ROMs available in the forum so far.
Showing here.

I would recommend the 2.1 Beta 3 with 290 MB application space.
The only negative thing might be, that it does not play video (yet).

For the installation of the ROM please take look here.
But I intend to write a tut with pictures as it is one of the most frequent questions . (Bottom of thread)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:01 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Same thing happened to me. I ordered the Archos 7 from tigerdirect. In the add at the time, they said that it was android 2.1. Now they have changed the add, and it readers "OS Android 1.6. Very unprofessional. Can you let me know if your attempt to return is successful?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

currently waiting for delivery on mine, its sad that thy changed the description after I ordered but I think Im just going to try to make the best of it.it now says with 1.6 and Im hoping to put himself's .028 on it and work with that until a stable working 2.1 or 2.2 is ready. really just want it to check email and play videos anyhow.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:03 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thank you asgarond!

I update the firmware yestoday puting the img files in the MicroSD card~ And the img files which I used is update_2.3alpha2_mem290.img(version 2.3)

I found that,Firstly, the Archos 7 using Andriod 2.3 is so slow... and I want to try other Rom...

Then another the problem came up! In this Firmware, I found that the Archos 7 can not recognize the MicroSD... and Now I don't know how to update it by other Rom for the without the available MIcroSD...

SO help me! Thanks!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:59 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

anyone here´╝ƒ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:13 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Just take a look here on how to do the flashing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:47 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I did it too. I jumped on the price thinking it would be a reasonable machine to learn on.

Called Archos to register product and about updaes, tech support said you need a faster chip and can't update. V1.5 is the highest version for that model (ARCHOS 7 HT v1)

Tiger Direct "TD" support blamed everything on ARCHOS!!! They said ARCHOS ship them the wrong product. If it's true, TD could get ARCHOS to make good on it. But they, TD, won't do a thing about. They have to be lying. I believe it's just false advertising.

Have an attorney friend, may try to get enough people for a class action lawsuit.

Just very angry, don't like being taken advantage of.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:01 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I don't know if dealing directly with TD vs their CompUSA subsidiary makes any difference, but on the CU site, the updated description (now stating Android 1.5 in the title vs this past Sunday) still states it has the "30 day Guarantee", and that states it can returned within 30 days (in same condition - do NOT mess with it) for ANY reason, so do it.
http://www.compusa.com/sectors/ironclad/index.asp

There are over a dozen reviews with the description indicating buyers are doing just that, as I did yesterday right after I got it and realized that it really was a V1 unit. Play the game their way, and see if they abide by their "guarantee". Then raise aitch if they do not, or try to stick you with a restocking fee (or not pay the return shipping charge).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:05 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I've been on the phone several times a day with tigerdirect, since receiving my order the 15th
got an email from TD just after the UPS guy picked it up for return talking about possible restocking fees

So I called and they said if everything was received by them as sent and nothing was missing or damaged they would credit me for the device less the original shipping and handling fees but NOT the restocking fee which the guy said STARTS at 15% and goes to 25%

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:14 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

stoutfella wrote:
I've been on the phone several times a day with tigerdirect, since receiving my order the 15th
got an email from TD just after the UPS guy picked it up for return talking about possible restocking fees

So I called and they said if everything was received by them as sent and nothing was missing or damaged they would credit me for the device less the original shipping and handling fees but NOT the restocking fee which the guy said STARTS at 15% and goes to 25%

"shipping and handling" for THEIR misrepresentation! Nervy!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:31 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I just received mine and its a v2 O_O

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

OK - so here's the scoop....

I bought this just as an extra techie-toy to have on hand. I am not really too concerned about the newest version. I ordered mine last week, and during that time their ad at Tiger Direct MAGICALLY changed on me as well from 2.1 to 1.6 Android. Oh well, I decided to live with it. It arrived here at my office late yesterday afternoon.

After installing the YouTube.apk and finding that it works perfectly fine, I decided I would be fine with it.

NOW - HERE IS THE CRAZY PART - - I have had this for LESS THAN 24 HOURS, and I am at my office right now. This thing has never left my desk. I turned it on, and ACROSS THE SCREEN is a BRIGHT HORIZONTAL LINE OF WHITE-HOT WHITE PIXELS. CRAP! So this screen is crap apparently, and now less than 24 hours I have a dead pixel issue. I mean literally, a solid white line going across the screen horizontally about 1/3 of the way up.

Now, Tiger Direct says NO to any return and refers me to Archos for falling under the warranty. And Archos says no problem, I can send it in for an RMA Repair - and of course I have to pay all shipping to get it there to be fixed! What?

CRAP service, CRAP product. THANK GOD I only paid $99 - that is practically nothing for a device like this and a great bargain IF IT WORKED.

I am not very happy right now. Just my 2 cents..... which is about all this device is worth. I have had my iPad new since it first came out and have never had a problem with it. But I really wanted an Android device to play with, and this seemed the perfect solution to get some basic Android exposure without sinking hundreds into a Galaxy or something like that......

Thanks for letting me vent,

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

mcampellone wrote:
OK - so here's the scoop....

I bought this just as an extra techie-toy to have on hand. I am not really too concerned about the newest version. I ordered mine last week, and during that time their ad at Tiger Direct MAGICALLY changed on me as well from 2.1 to 1.6 Android. Oh well, I decided to live with it. It arrived here at my office late yesterday afternoon.

After installing the YouTube.apk and finding that it works perfectly fine, I decided I would be fine with it.

NOW - HERE IS THE CRAZY PART - - I have had this for LESS THAN 24 HOURS, and I am at my office right now. This thing has never left my desk. I turned it on, and ACROSS THE SCREEN is a BRIGHT HORIZONTAL LINE OF WHITE-HOT WHITE PIXELS. CRAP! So this screen is crap apparently, and now less than 24 hours I have a dead pixel issue. I mean literally, a solid white line going across the screen horizontally about 1/3 of the way up.

Now, Tiger Direct says NO to any return and refers me to Archos for falling under the warranty. And Archos says no problem, I can send it in for an RMA Repair - and of course I have to pay all shipping to get it there to be fixed! What?

CRAP service, CRAP product. THANK GOD I only paid $99 - that is practically nothing for a device like this and a great bargain IF IT WORKED.

I am not very happy right now. Just my 2 cents..... which is about all this device is worth. I have had my iPad new since it first came out and have never had a problem with it. But I really wanted an Android device to play with, and this seemed the perfect solution to get some basic Android exposure without sinking hundreds into a Galaxy or something like that......

Thanks for letting me vent,

Mike

Well, if you still want a $100 Android table to mess with, and with little risk, get a Craig from CVS Pharmacy (if any in your area). It is about the best "$100 Android" tablet out there with 2.1/Eclair, USB host ability, and a dead simple root/market update from "Shad" of XDAdevelopers. A number have been defective, but no hassles from CVS for exchange/refund.

Check this thread:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showth ... p?t=123208

HTH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:06 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

So this Archos 7 purchased from Tiger for $99 is not able to be updated at all???

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:22 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Oh my god, it's such a piece of crap. Update! After time spent on the phone this evening, Tiger Direct is taking it back for a full refund. They even emailed me a prepaid ups label! It's already sent away. Whew!

I stopped at Verizon Wireless on my way home. I just added a $20 per month data plan to my account and I got thR amazing samsung Galaxy Tab for only $199 and I am very very happy!

So I wish you all the best of luck. I hope that your experience with Archos was not like mine and that you enjoy your device and have no problems. Take care,

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:35 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

mcampellone wrote:
Oh my god, it's such a piece of crap. Update! After time spent on the phone this evening, Tiger Direct is taking it back for a full refund. They even emailed me a prepaid ups label! It's already sent away. Whew!

I stopped at Verizon Wireless on my way home. I just added a $20 per month data plan to my account and I got thR amazing samsung Galaxy Tab for only $199 and I am very very happy!

So I wish you all the best of luck. I hope that your experience with Archos was not like mine and that you enjoy your device and have no problems. Take care,

Mike

we are both bad luck...I returned it too... btw, whether the galaxy tab need 2 years contract for data plan?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I brought the Archos HT 7 from tigerDirect last week and found that it is V1 and android 1.5...
I tried to update it to a better rom, but most of them have different kinds of bugs...
so I have returned it...

But today I saw the TigerDirect webpage of the Archos HT 7 produce where I ordered it~
and I saw in the custom review, someone said that they got HT V2 version and the system is android 2.1...
I feel confuse that it seem that TigerDirect brought a crop of refurb Archos HT 7 from Archos company, and some is V1, some is V2...but TigerDirect don't make a division, then started to sell it together...

and then the lucky guys got V2 version...but some poor guys just like me ,got the V1 version...

so funny~~~

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi, yes the Galaxy required a 2 year contract, but it's just 20$ a month and that is for 1gb 3G so the few times when you are not near wifi then you are covered. A very good deal. And it's so fast!

Good luck to you my friend :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:46 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

are these other people actually getting a v2 unit or a v1 with 0s2.1 on it alreaady,these units are able to be updated i believe,i havent received mine yet,im not expecting much,i know its not an ipad so my question is,is the unit able to update to the latest os available,is it a beter idea to run a aftermarket firmware.for 99 im not expecting an ipad.i have a ipod touch and its amazing but it cost over double this thing does haha so im not expecting much,just wondering whats the best firmware for the unit from tiger direct,also hard to bash a company that returns products without much problem,its my first time dealing with them and they have been great so far,