Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:54 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have managed to get ad-hoc working on my archos 7.
All I had to do was change/add some lines in init.rk28board.rc
This way the wifi application will look for the wpa_supplicant.conf file in /flash/wifi/ which is read/write
This way you can edit this file anyway and anytime you want and just turn the wifi off and on for the changes to take effect

While creating this ad-hoc enabled image I used knightdominion v0.2 custom firmware.

Procedure
*Download the update.img and do the usual
*Next connect your archos to your pc. there should be a wifi folder there.
*extract the contents of adhoc configuration files.zip to this directory
* edit wpa_supplicant.adhoc.conf and put the name of your adhoc connection after ssid. (for now I do not use passwords for my connection, maybe I will try to see how it works in the future)
*u can use whatever program you like(I use SUFBS) to browse to the scripts directory in /flash/wifi and run the script files
*start-ahhoc.sh will will save the current configuration file with all your normal wifi connections to wpa_supplicant.wifi.conf then it will delete the current wpa_supplicant.conf file and put wpa_supplicant.adhoc.conf in its place.
*start-wifi.sh will just delete the current wpa_supplicant.conf and replace it with the backed up wpa_supplicant.wifi.conf
*when you are done running the script just turn off your wifi and turn it on again.
* your wifi should start trying to connect to your adhoc connection

I Hope these instructions are clear. Else I will edit it as the questions arrive.

Update.img
http://www.mediafire.com/?banu9wwhiza0735

Configuration files
http://www.mediafire.com/?wqjw1gk9lbexiwa

Update.img sir dom's firmware v0.21
http://www.mediafire.com/?wy94tflsb09tcss

Last edited by taniman on Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:56 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I am going to try tonight (GMT -6), just one suggestion, why dont you post instructions to modify an existing installation (with no need to update image)?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:33 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

oguie wrote:
I am going to try tonight (GMT -6), just one suggestion, why dont you post instructions to modify an existing installation (with no need to update image)?

I don't think there is a way to modify an existing installation. The normal installation has a read-only filesystem which makes it impossible to modify or delete the wpa_supplicant.conf in /data/misc/wifi or /system/wifi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:09 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi, I just test your solution and it works perfectly.

Just one question, Would be possible to make a new image for rooted v2.1? I have been looking your img with NewTuxFlash, but I cannot find the /data/misc/wifi or /system/wifi directories, nor read-only directories in original image (rooted v2). Probably because NewTuxFlash is in german, and because I have not idea about Android roms :-p

Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:25 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

bbaixauli wrote:

Just one question, Would be possible to make a new image for rooted v2.1? I have been looking your img with NewTuxFlash, but I cannot find the /data/misc/wifi or /system/wifi directories, nor read-only directories in original image (rooted v2). Probably because NewTuxFlash is in german, and because I have not idea about Android roms :-p

Thank you!

You should be looking in your boot.img -> init.rk28board.rc
in the system.img you should look in /etc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf.

I will take a look at rooted v2.1 and see if I can change that version to incorporate the wifi functionality.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:30 am 
Archos User
Archos User

taniman wrote:
bbaixauli wrote:

Thank you!

You should be looking in your boot.img -> init.rk28board.rc
in the system.img you should look in /etc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf.

I will take a look at rooted v2.1 and see if I can change that version to incorporate the wifi functionality.

That would be great!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:19 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I am waiting for your new version of rooted V2.1. I think it will be something exciting.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:23 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

+ 1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:33 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello Taniman,
Why did you use actually knightdominion v0.2 custom firmware instead of v0.21 ?
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

samHT7 wrote:
Hello Taniman,
Why did you use actually knightdominion v0.2 custom firmware instead of v0.21 ?
Sam

I user version 0.2 because I didn't want to go through the whole proces of flashin and then reflashing. and because that's the firmware I was using.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I Just got the time to take a look at firmware version 0.21 from sir dom. I changed it so it also can have access to adhoc wireless. I have not tested the firmware because like I already said I didn't want to go through the trouble of flashing and reflashing. But it should work perfectly as I only changed the boot.img the same way as I did change the other image.

I edited the first post to include link to the download.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:01 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi taniman,
Thank you very much. That's great !
I think there would be quite a few people happy to see knightdominion v0.21 with ad hoc wifi :)
Sam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:44 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello and thank you for the use of adhoc.i currently have sirdoms 0.21 installed do i need to reflash with the image you provide then browse for the wifi folder and run the scripts.i really need the use of adhoc but am a bit confused about the process.sorry about the n00b question

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:28 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

ok.i have flashed the device with the update.img and found wifi folder in sd .i edited the adhoc file for my router name.then i ran the scripts and turned wifi on and off.at first it searched for it but i rebooted the archos and wifi wont start now it says it is unable to start.did i do something wrong here.the file in the sys folder did not change it is still reading normal as it did before the flash.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:51 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Genius.works great with wm wifi router on my pda.i was trying to edit the sys file but that was read only my mistake i edit the flash folder files and it worked great.thank you man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:49 am 
Archos User
Archos User

It does not work for me. Using a phone with windows mobile 6.1 with ad hoc network created with http://www.wmwifirouter.com/ 2.0. The ad hoc network works fine with other devices.
I think I'm doing everything right.
The archos sees the ad hoc network, and says it is connected, but no pages load in the browser or email works. The connection does not work for me.

:_(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:25 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

reset your wmwifi i too am using 2.0 then make sure you leave the password blank.in the script folder in flash/wifi take note of the size of the 3 files.when ad-hoc script is run the wifi config file changes to that size and when wifi script is run it goes back to whatever size that was.i also got that error.wmwifi router will show the archos i.p adress when its connected.
my problem is when i power of the device the wifi wont turn back on i have to mount the drive and copy the flash wifi again but with all settings saved.when i disconect the cable the media updates from the internal drive which turns fixs the wifi.could this be a bug with the .021

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:29 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hello all, I have my 7HT and I am a rookie, I want to connect to ad hoc networks, someone could explain me more detail, forgive my English

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:17 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

No way, I can not connect. The archos sees the network and says it is connected (also shows the connected icon), and WMWifiRouter says the archos is connected and gives an ip. But it does not work. No network really.

Also I lose my stored normal wifi password every time I run the scripts.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:43 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hey guys, tell me choose my ip address, throws a while and puts me in error, I think I'm doing all the steps well, any ideas?