Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon May 25, 2020 9:41 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 736 Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:42 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I love it, it works flawlessly.

Unfortunately, the App I use most is only available through the MARKET, (Shelves movie and CD, etc Database). It is updated regularly and I cannot get it without MARKET.

Sorry, greatest FW yet, even better if it had Market, IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Went the same way, flashed it but found the lack of market quite frustrating.

Didnt solve the problem with some installers either, but gave different errors this time. Looking forward to trying the next build if it has the market.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:25 am 
Archos User
Archos User

You folks should try: http://www.freewarelovers.com/android

you can directly download .apk files and then install (using the built-in browser on the 7HT) for many of the free apps in the market and there are many other [legal] ways to download apps without having to use market

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:54 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I am also very keen to get going with the version, unless somebody cracks the 1.6 version. But access to Google apps and Market are quite important. So "Himself" if you would be so kind, I would also like to vote for the Market.
FormerCEO I checkout the site and its very good but still I think for on the go installs Market is the best.

Himself - Thanks for your continued work.

A side question does anyone else feel a little robbed by Archos? I have had the A7HT for under 3 weeks and the little beasty was only released about 3 months ago and now it seriously out of date. Anyone involved with PC's knows the old expression "anything you buy will be out of date before it leaves the shop" but this is taking the michael... (no offense map002).

On the other hand I have got to give credit to Archos to having addressed almost all complaints so quickly (shame about no GPS) but it does make me think that they knew they were going to do this at least 4 months ago, which to me is seriously a case of ripping off the client, or put another way "what we all bought was out of date before it even reached the shop"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:00 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I used to have a professor who stated "the cheapest research is done in the library" - in our case meaning read the specs before buying! I have absolutely no buyer's remorse about my 7HT - the more I use it (and in particular, fine-tuned with himself's 0.015) the more it grows on me. But I knew going in that it was limited and I don't think Archos was trying to be deceptive in the least.

I have enough issues with their lack of standardization without blaming them for the quick release of products - frankly, I don't see them surviving very long after the onslaught of new tablets. Their reputation is lousy and they haven't done much about it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:22 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I would not count Archos out yet. The initial release of the A5A was a disaster - reviewers and users agreed. The ArchosFans.com Support Forum for the A5A made all the difference. We spoke and Archos developers listened, "nz" has a number of posts on the A5A forum. The end result being a very stable tablet.

The 7HT was marketed to naive Home users and Archos dropped the ball by not doing the Quality Assurance testing to eliminate the Major Flaws they allowed, and still haven't addressed, out of the gate. Again, the ArchosFans forums came through. Everyone here helping each other to get the most out of the 7HT possible.

Miracle after miracle has continued Archos's survival, and there may well be a number of miracles left.

I hope so.

Allen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:44 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Don't get me wrong - I surely hope Archos survives, but in my own experiences as a CEO of several companies, both public and private, I see them creating issues for themselves by a lack of focus - a lesson that i learned the hard way.

I believe that the A5IT represents the high point of their endeavors and they have failed to capitalize on its "goodness" by not continuing its development.

And I agree that without this forum, they would be long gone. But now they are just offering a lackluster series of devices without any kind of differentiation from the rest of the herd - of course, Crohas is probably under the gun to show a profit but IMHO he's going about it backwards.

End of rant

another old geek

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:33 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Hi,

I am working on doing something similar to market4archos, that doesn't work because it is based on 1.6 unfortunately. If I am correct it should just involve copying the correct files over and rebooting. I would be nice to have the option to install market or not.

Thanks for the continued interest.. :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:52 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Great update. I slided the power switch to the right and left it there overnight for around 7 hours. I believed it has not been waked up because the battery is still 92% left. Which means if I need to take it out of the house, I can just slide the switch to suspend and have it immediately when I need it.

Google market and google calendar synchronization are the other thing that may be useful for the next update.

However, I find the time on the taskbar does not synchronize. Does anyone get the same problem?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:43 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Himself,
With a new version (increased app space) if the need arise can i return back to original?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:12 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Also, there is another ROM that popped up that has AD-HOC working. I would love to tether my Droid to the A7HT over WiFi. But A7HT doesn't recognize AD-HOC WiFi. Take a look at viewtopic.php?f=59&t=36728.

Thanks for the hard work.

-Robert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:41 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

after reading his thread i am unsure what to to...

question:

I have Sir Doms "0.21" an my Archos7HT.

Now i want to test V.015 from Himself... WHAT i have to so ?? How to update ??

(What does that point in changelog mean: "0.12 Tested new offsets to match up with SirDom's 0.21.")

Are there disadvantages to 0.21 ??

Is here in this version Original Google Apps MarketPlace open ??

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:18 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks. This looks good, about 135mb available app space. And most important it does not wake up a lot from suspend. Unfortunately when I back up my apps, I forgot to transfer to sd card so its all gone, Im so excited I flash this firmware right away. Did'nt know it will delete everything on the tablet.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:42 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Alex1971 wrote:
after reading his thread i am unsure what to to...

question:

I have Sir Doms "0.21" an my Archos7HT.

Now i want to test V.015 from Himself... WHAT i have to so ?? How to update ??

(What does that point in changelog mean: "0.12 Tested new offsets to match up with SirDom's 0.21.")

Are there disadvantages to 0.21 ??

Is here in this version Original Google Apps MarketPlace open ??

If you have 0.21 installed then if you flash this one you won't lose content on /flash since it's located at the same offset for that partition. I don't advocate using this firmware over something that is already working for you, doesn't make sense. :) This is all highly experimental and subject to bugs, so you really need to know how to use ADB and RKAndroidTool to recover from problems.

Quote:
Himself,
With a new version (increased app space) if the need arise can i return back to original?

Yes, of course you can revert to any other version or firmware that you like, but if you change the partition sizes you have to do a few extra steps. More than likely you'd have to use RKAndroidTool to go back to stock, and you'd have to reformat "Archos 7" and reflash probably. I say probably because even though I've had to do it, I can't know what happens on other tablets, just mine.

Quote:
Thanks. This looks good, about 135mb available app space. And most important it does not wake up a lot from suspend. Unfortunately when I back up my apps, I forgot to transfer to sd card so its all gone, Im so excited I flash this firmware right away. Did'nt know it will delete everything on the tablet.

I'm sorry for your loss. If you are adventurous, you might be able to get your data back, just reflash to what you had before, the formatting commands are of the quick format variety, data, so it might still be there. I've gone to stock firmware, and back to my latest and wondered how wifi was still working, it was because all the files were still there from before.

UPDATE:

I have an app that copies over all the google api files to /flash in the various folders, just had to put in the code to remount /system read write and move the destination from /flash to /. Will keep you posted. :)

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:55 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

UPDATE:

I have proof of concept of market (Google APIs) working as an add-on instead of being built in. Market etc is working, just need to do an automatic permission setting and ownership changing of the files and remount system as readonly. Not sure what SirDom's rom is doing, just copied over the different files.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:00 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

You, sir, are a genius - thanks for making my 7HT a remarkable companion. Archos should fire their developers and hire you!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:39 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

formerceo wrote:
Archos should fire their developers and hire you!

I think you mean Rockchip, not Archos... ;D

Michael

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:03 am 
Archos User
Archos User

No, someone at Archos should have some accountability/responsibility that the company doesn't ship garbage. I find it hard to believe that Archos doesn't set some specs/guidelines, etc for their vendors - if not, they're even in worse shape than I thought.

Even Ford kicks the tires once in a while.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:09 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

{beginning of rant}

Hi ceo,

Just to clarify, Yes I did realise the limitations before buying, yes I love the little beasty (A7HT) warts 'n' all and use it daily - or as my wife says constantly, and to be honest with the exception of flash displaying in a webpage it does everything I require of it.

My point really is that Archos to release in October - If they have done any checks at all - i.e kicked the tyres, they would have known that this MASSIVE improvement was going to happen before the A7HT hit the shops. I know this from being a designer in electronics previously - below 6 months dev is not normal.

I do feel that the shipping of the A7HT was either clear the stock... or to be first on the market with an android tablet/slate (from a major Euro/USA producer). The other possibility is that Archos aren't even really designing these now - chinese designs with Euro manufacturing controls and marketing?

I did my research and decided against the Chinese versions on a build quality basis, the Chinese stuff can be hit and miss - Lastly I chose the A7HT due to the screen size over the A5IT considering I wanted it for email/internet and as an eBook (plus other uses)

I would like to see Archos try and come up with some way to update the OS to 1.6, and to be honest I would then call it fair play. The truth is they have announced a FAR superior device in under 4 months that doesn't make me really trust them with my money in the future.

But as I say - research done
Happiness - 90% attained - give me flash I will be 100%
Trust level in Archos - 10%
Buyers remorse - 0%
Would I recommend Archos to a Client/friend - Unsure - I would at least warn them about the way Archos operate.

My purchase was based massively of the activity of this forum - in particular the work of Sir Dom and later Himself
I consider that I bought hardware from Archos and accepted given there reputation that support would be from Archosfans.

{/end of rant}

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:10 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

formerceo wrote:
No, someone at Archos should have some accountability/responsibility that the company doesn't ship garbage.

Yup. But that's not the Dev team, that's QA and middle (project) management.

Michael

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 736 Next