Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon May 25, 2020 9:16 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 636 Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:30 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Allen:

Thanks for the lucid explanation - perfectly clear now and I can't wait until himself produces the aforementioned image. Turns out, that for the $, the 7HT is quite a nice gadget - will tide me over until a good Windows tablet emerges.

oldest geek!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:00 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hi Former CEO,

You're very welcome. After researching Windows Tablets and seeing the price drop on the Archos 9, from $550 to $400. I took the plunge. I'm glad I did. I'll replace it as soon as a better tablet comes out. The same as replacing the 7HT.

For now I'm very satisfied with the A9. Thursday, my new jwin bluetooth stereo headphones came in and it works with my A5A, my iPad and my A9. Nice!!!

I'm running Win7 Starter Edition on the A9 and won't change any time soon. The A9, for me, is a great intro tablet for Windows tablets. Kinda like the way I see the 7HT as a great intro to Android tablets, at least when it first came out.

Allen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:35 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Are there any Google apps in this ROM? My 7HT will be here today and I am trying to decide which ROM would be best for me. I have to have GMail, Google Cal and contacts. I am torn between:

* Operation Unbrickable: The quest for Google Apps, v 3.0
* Operation "I still haven't bricked this?: The quest for root, v 2.0 (version 2.1 installation seems a little harder and unsure if Google apps are included in the ROM)
* Yet Another Root'd update.img available, v 0.04

I would like to have the market, but since I am new to the 7HT, I really don't know what to expect and if it is really needed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Robert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:37 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Quick question:
Is possible to have Google market without additional things like gmail etc...
Because after I installed SirDom firmware (the one with just gmarket) my archos started to wake up more often than it was before...
It seems like all "additional" google "services" wake ups it...
But gmarket is cool :) ....

I'm thinking about returning to original one... But this seems to be fine (it has NFS preinstalled to watch video)...

Dmitry.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

realsol wrote:
Are there any Google apps in this ROM? My 7HT will be here today and I am trying to decide which ROM would be best for me. I have to have GMail, Google Cal and contacts. I am torn between:

* Operation Unbrickable: The quest for Google Apps, v 3.0
* Operation "I still haven't bricked this?: The quest for root, v 2.0 (version 2.1 installation seems a little harder and unsure if Google apps are included in the ROM)
* Yet Another Root'd update.img available, v 0.04

I would like to have the market, but since I am new to the 7HT, I really don't know what to expect and if it is really needed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Robert

Hey Robert,
I you don't need "root" and increased app space (default about 30mb) go with The quest for Google Apps, v 3.0 - it works well and install quickly... I have it, works without any problems :).

Yet Another Root'd update.img available, v 0.04 - does not have gmarket yet...

The quest for root - it's not harder ... it's just contains to stages :).

Dmitry.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:36 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks DMitry;

With the "The quest for root", v2.0, it looks like it has the Google Apps. Doesn't mention if it has the Market or not. Does it? Does version 2.1 of this ROM still have the Google Apps and Market?

Thanks for your help. UPS should be here anytime. Broke my Ankle on Tuesday, so I have plenty of time this weekend to play.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:27 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

UPDATE:

Still more testing to do, everything works fine when it overwrites itself, it is going from stock rom or from some other rom that I have to make sure of and from a blank /flash. Nothing worse than releasing some software and having a million people saying they are having problems, that happens anyway, but I can try to minimize it. :) I have the wifi mod included, and it does preserve wifi settings between flashes, extra apk files get copied over to flash/Apps. I have various scripts available in the recovery image to avoid typing cat /proc/mtd followed by a reference to /dev/block/mtdblockX over and over again, instead it's format.sh cache or mount.sh userdata.

App size will be slightly less to accommodate another system partition and keep the same offsets as Sirdom's 0.21 rom. If this becomes a problem we can go with another offset for /flash. I am working with the theory that it is the size and not the offset that causes issues with partitions, I have tried various sizes, but multiples of 0x1E000 seem to work better than random values. I have run multiple tests with the badblocks utility and it always returns clean results unless the partition is off in the numbers, having 2048 bad blocks seems suspicious to me, 193 or 5893 something maybe, not a binary border.

I did up a wakelog application to log how long the tablet sleeps at a time. It will be included, but you can check it out HERE.

As for market, with the system read write you can add that after flashing, so perhaps some markethack file ala the 5 inch internet tablet would work with it so it could just be another add in under /flash/Apps. I too would prefer just the market and not all of Google's API's, but not sure that is possible.

I would recommend people get familiar with ADB in case things go wrong, you can get it by installing the Android SDK for either windows or linux, I am using ubuntu 10.04 on a netbook right now, I had it installed under Windows XP as well. Trick is to add the a7ht 0x0e79 device id to usb_adb.ini under ~/.android for linux and under documents and settings/username/whatever/.android under windows.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:14 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Aloha Himself,

Thanks for the update. Exciting stuff.

Allen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:56 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

realsol wrote:
With the "The quest for root", v2.0, it looks like it has the Google Apps. Doesn't mention if it has the Market or not. Does it? Does version 2.1 of this ROM still have the Google Apps and Market?

I think yes. Since it was done by SirDom after Quest for google apps, so I'm pretty sure there are all google apps package inside including gmarket...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:12 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Hi,

I left my tablet on all last night and WakeLog, see above, reports that it didn't wake up once. It was just suspended, no lock on, wifi was enabled, and AppsLib is installed.

388 minutes, 6 seconds. Whatever that is in hours..

So, my guess is that short of installing something that wakes up the tablet, it's fine.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:54 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Himself wrote:
Hi,

I left my tablet on all last night and WakeLog, see above, reports that it didn't wake up once. It was just suspended, no lock on, wifi was enabled, and AppsLib is installed.

388 minutes, 6 seconds. Whatever that is in hours..

So, my guess is that short of installing something that wakes up the tablet, it's fine.

Cheers!

WOW, even more reason to say..."can't wait for you update.img"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:52 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Uhm, check the first post of this thread? :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:10 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Wow, that was quick.

Thanks to Himself, I'm downloading as I type and will report back.

Again thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:48 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Finished downloading and now flashing.

Been through Red Smoke twice and now on Grey Smoke Gears.

Looking good.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Could you please include ad-hoc support? See patches from other threat. Thanks in advance
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=36728

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:55 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Finished.

Worked perfectly.

SDCard Mounted straight away.

App Space=140Mb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:00 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Thanks for the report ViPaSoft! Seems like Himself has done a great job.

Allen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:07 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Avenger 2.0 wrote:
Could you please include ad-hoc support? See patches from other threat. Thanks in advance
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=36728

Hi,

Just use the scripts in that thread, I already made the changes to boot.img for that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:12 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

No Market is the only fault, (fault in the liberal term). Anyone know of a market app? I've tried MARKET4ARCHOS and it doesn't install

What is the size of the new wallpaper. I only have 800x480 installed. Does the movable wallpaper work with any.

Works really smoothly.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:39 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Just installed V0.15 - very nice indeed and showing 133 Mb out of 157 Mb in AppManager 0.5. Had a few force closes with Archos' music app otherwise nothing else seems wrong. Very smooth.

BTW, does anyone know where android music player stores playlists? I can't seem to find them - I prefer the Google app over the Archos music app (although both are cumbersome). Can anyone recommend a good mp3 player app - I have absolutely no need for getting stuff online - I just want to use mp3's on my SD Card.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 636 Next