Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 1:07 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 536 Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:30 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Ok. Will Market be intregated to your firmware ? I'll install it if I can have an access to the Market.
Thanks a lot for your work
PS : I apologize for my poor english, I'm french.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:00 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I probably will eventually, I was using Sir Dom's 0.21, wasn't using the market much.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:39 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hmm ok. Good luck for the future. And why not a mutual aid between you and Sir Dom's ? :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:37 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I could just copy over the files that differ between mine and his and have market, but it would be his rom then, and it already exists. I will do it if it's trivial to figure out, not right now.

I have posted in his thread already and gave some suggestions, I think he must be busy elsewhere.

Anyway, current status is that I now I have a rom that seems ok with a read write system but it requires adb to set up. I am using it in read-only mode but at least the file system can be remounted as read-write.

So far, using a read-write system partition does make it feel a touch snappier to unzipping to access files, so that's good. I'm sure there was a reason for doing all this beyond that, but I seem to have forgot.. lol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:17 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Awesome work - thank you himself - followed instructions and worked perfectly after installation. I did not see Andexplorer so I installed Linda File Manager.

I surely don't regret buying the A7HT - particularly after comparison to the (now returned) Pandigital Novel and Augen Gentouch.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:14 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

"Titanium, andexplorer and shootme are not preinstalled." ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:19 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

UPDATE:

I have a working firmware that doesn't require adb to install system as read write, or flashing twice to get increased app space, just sitting on it to make sure it's fully hatched.

Any requests before I release it? Things to test? Apps to add? So far it's rooted, system is ext3 instead of cramfs so it can be remounted read-write, and has increased app space.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:10 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Quote:
Any requests before I release it? Things to test? Apps to add?

Yes, Could you add the hack for ad-hoc wifi? the post is at http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=36728

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:47 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Market?

And on my a7ht with sirdoms 0.2.1, I've found that AppsLib keeps waking it up every 10 mins or so, is it possible to remove appslib if Market can be added.

I'm fairly sure its appslib because I've cleared memory completely and left it and when I switch it back on later, the only other thing running is appslib. in my case both the old and new version as I also installed the v2 from Archos.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:53 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Hi,

I can't say I've noticed any random wake-ups of any duration lately. Perhaps I can do up an app to log when the screen comes on and when it turns off.

Hack for ad-hoc, from what I read it's just reading a config file from /flash instead of /data, easy enough to do. One good thing from that would be not having to setup wifi between flashes.

Going to set it up so that the same offset is used for /flash as SirDom's 0.21, that way no data will be lost going from one to the other.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:28 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I would like to echo removal of appslib because

1. I also see it seems to start at odd times and suck up resources

2. The apps are available at many other places, and the most valuable ones are on the Archosfans Wiki and/or the regular Market.

In fact when I was hacking my (now returned) Gentouch and Pandigital Novel I was able to use Root Explorer to remove unwanted apps. Do you envision that we will be able to use Root Explorer on your new img file (mounted as R?W of course) - if so maybe appslib does not need to be removed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:49 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I Do Not want the AppsLib removed completely nor any other Systems App. What I would like to see is a directory containing all the Archos 7HT/8HT System Apps so that folks who install the FW can chose which Archos System Apps they want to install.

Thus I Do Not want any non-Widget System Apps installed. I want them all in an easily found (documented) directory. I would like all the Widget System Apps installed.

What I'm calling non-Widget System Apps are all the Apps you see in the Apps Menu out of the box from Archos. My understanding is that Archos calls these System Apps and I've followed that terminology.

Allen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:30 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Hi,

It is trivial to move the Archos .apk files to another folder in /system and copy them to /flash/Archos during boot. Will do.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:11 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Allen's suggestion is a good one - do you mean by "it is trivial...." that when installing your new update.img file the user will have the choice of which Archos apps to install? I don't get the part about "copy them to flash during boot, etc.."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:52 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Aloha Himself and Former CEO,

Himself is saying that we will be able to get to all the Archos out of the box System Apps via an app like Files in "Internal memory", the directory (or folder) "Archos".

And, yes, this is trivial - maybe 20 to 30 minutes of setting up and testing - or less.

There are a few System Apps Android requires and that do not show up in the Apps Menu which FW hackers must include. Also they must include Settings and, unless they install a replacement, they must include Files.

There may be some other requirements which Himself and others are more aware of than I.

Allen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:23 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Not to belabor a point, but I believe that if an app like "appslib" is installed, then it may exhibit the "self-starting" behavior no matter in which folder it resides.

I'm thinking more like having it as an installable AK and so I ask if this is possible? That is why I do not want appslib to install on boot.

I usually keep loads of apk's on my external SD card and install when and if I want

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:39 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Aloha Former CEO,

What I proposed, and what Himself agreed to, would not install any Archos System Apps. The installation .apk files would resided in: Internal Memory/Archos/ which is what Files shows. AndExplorer reveals the actual location is root:flash/Archos/

They would not "automagically" install. The "Archos" folder would just be a repository. Each user of the FW would decide for themselves which System Apps to install. A benefit of this approach is that each System App in the Archos folder can installed and uninstalled as many times as the user wants.

The ability to uninstall means tracking bugs becomes a lot easier.

I always want AppsLib installed on my Archos Android tablets. You don't. So after flashing the FW Himself provides: I install AppsLib from flash/Archos/ and you don't. I have AppsLib installed and you don't.

Does this clear it up for you?

Allen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:47 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I'm getting quite excited.

The thought of a new A101 in a few months and also the ability to update the FW on my A7HT with himself's CFW. I'm currently using SirDoms, but will be changing to this one.

Any rough ideas when we will be able to try it?

Thanks in advance...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:51 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

In the word of the immortal Jerry Pournelle: Real Soon Now!

Translations:
1. Who know?
2. Whenever he gets it done?
3. One of the above?
4. All of the above?
5. None of the above?

I gather you're ready for it yesterday?

Allen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:02 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

AllenPapapetrou wrote:
In the word of the immortal Jerry Pournelle: Real Soon Now!

Translations:
1. Who know?
2. Whenever he gets it done?
3. One of the above?
4. All of the above?
5. None of the above?

I gather you're ready for it yesterday?

Allen

Not really, tomorrow will do...;)

Any idea of the size of the app-space created, and will I be able to install apps over 5mb without the 'Out of space' message I get at the moment.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 536 Next