Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:44 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous 130 31 32 33 3436 Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:04 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

7intTablet wrote:
Thank you - this thread is under Home tablettes 7 and 8
What if I had 7 HT Version 2? or a 8 HT.

I wouldn't try this ;)

7intTablet wrote:
My battery life is 4 hours if I'm lucky. Device three months old. I imagine this rom would improve that performance?

Turn off the Wi-Fi.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:54 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for the 'turn off Wi-Fi' tip for saving battery. I remember reading that but had not done it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:56 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Ok, I'm using 7HT for reading ebooks ONLY. No wifi, video or mp3.
Since october 2010 for today, i've charged 7HT two times.
Yes it's true. :idea:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:21 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I know the genral rule of thumb here is before asking a question, look for it first. I have.
I'm looking for the rom update for my Archos 7HT V.1

On Tueday Aug 17, 2010 at 8:36pm, the very first post on this thread, 'Himself' gave us Version 0.28
Codename: Cletus YAR!
What I'm hoping someone can set me straight on, is, for which unit is this update intended for? This is an important bit of information and I can't seam to find it.
The only hint I can see is the heading this thread is under: Home tablettes 7 and 8
But that doesn't narrow it down as it includes six or seven units? sigh...

I've pm'ed 'Himself'. He tells me I can use it.
Coming from a guy like that I know I should just shut up and use it. But I hesitate still.
Sorry I don't mean to cluther this space unessasarily but I know If I use the wrong rom things can go south pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:17 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Hi,

Updated the title to indicate it's for V1 tablets. Also, there is a A7HT V2 forum now so things should be clearer on that front.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:37 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I applied the update I worked a charm. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:16 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Just updated V0.28 on my A7HT V1.
It went well.
I now have the smoky screen with the gears background; 189mb of free internal memory. that space is great. Don't know what they were thinking with just 20 mb.
The Guys at Archos are going 'Who's this Himself guy?
I can't wait to see how the battery will fair with this version. If i played a movie i'd get maybe four hours.
Could someone confirm the following for me?

It still shows as Version1.0.15 This is normal?

My first order of Buisness should be to.. download applib?
And in order to do that I must install Market.apk right?
Its bundled in the yar028 so I take the Market.APK, drop in the root of the internal memory and run it. (double click it or it auto launches like the firmware?)
I would now have access to the market and then I could proceed to download appslib
So the essentials would be.... appslib, Titanium backup, aldiko...?

thanks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

....d'love to know if having 1.0.15 still after a sucessful .028 update is normal or not.

Installed market (launched from sd card) and i have an internet connection...it says Installing Android Market....Copying files...
/app

After 45 minutes I rebooted the device and tried again= same.

*I can't get over the improvement on the battery.
If viewing a film I'd maybe get 4 hours. I watched a movie and afterwards I viewed the battery meter it was still in the high 90's. I was shocked.
Now this device may be getting in the vecinity of 17 hours that Archos claims.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:14 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Got it. It kicked into gear and completed install finally. (Market)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:58 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

i bought this week the A7HTv1 running on cupcake emboldened by the robust A7HT community support for this product. being a
noob and A7HT my first ever android and/or tablet, i researched and studied the firmwares, instructions, links and discussions found in this thread, and didn't have to look far in my endeavor to upgrade this tablet.

installed Himself's Cletus Yar 0.28 custom rom, appslib, google market.apk for 0.26, videotub (watch youtube and this is thus far the one that is working for me with search function to boot, albeit has some shortcomings like no full screen display), facebook mobile, photobucket etc.

gmail is working a-ok. at first google market seemed to have frozen during installation (market.apk copied to and installed from the sd card), what i did after 15 minutes was to reboot with no google apps showing, then toyed around with A7HT, turned it off, and dozed. next morning, turned on A7HT, and voila, market and concommitant apps such as gmail were installed, appearing and working on the A7HT.

count me in as one of the legion of voices heaping thanks and praise to the effort of Himself, other programmers and the Archos community, for without them, A7HTv1 would not have been such a beautiful piece of technology that it still is.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:16 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thank you Himself you've made this a very usable tablet for me. :) After coming back from testing 2.1 I realized how blazing fast this thing is with your rom.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:16 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Another newbie here and I hope I'm not being redundant but I cannot figure out what advantages or disadvantages I could expect from installing YAR .028 on my 7HT v1.

1) I can load marketplace?.

2) It will still play video but not in full screen? (no full screen at all?)

3) It will run faster?

This is my first experience with Android and while I really like my Home Tablet, (tigerdirect refurb.) and I paid only $90 for it, it is slow. I also wonder if getting the 7HT v2 would be that much of a different experience from that of the v1?.

I'm really just trying to figure out if YAR .028 would improve my 7HT enough to make it worthwhile or should I just be content with its shortcomings and upgrade to a better model in the future when I can afford it.

I think it is really great that people spend their time developing these ROM's and posting this information on forums like ArchosFans. Thank-you and sorry if this is redundant or the wrong place to post this.

c1tobor.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:00 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I was in the same boat as you c1tobor and tried different ROMs and came back to YAR .28.

1.) yes you can load market place
2.) Video play back is just like stock ROM at the least (maybe better?)
3.) Yes, as much as 2.1 was nice it was really slow on these v1's going back to YAR from that made this tablet feel like it was flying.

There are a few things that limit our functionality due to Android v1.5. You really have to hunt for older versions of the software in some cases. The wiki is a great place for some info on app like Youtube,etc.

It is still a semi slow tablet, but for the price I can listen to streaming shoutcast or pandora and surf web and/or read ebook at the same time and relatively descent speed so I'm content.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:36 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thank you hippie69.

For the price I paid I would really like to keep the v1 but would like to have the ability to play videos on it. Would I be correct to assume it could play/use Flash 10.1 with the YAR.028 upgrade? Also, should I strickly use a micro SD to install Cletus or can I drag and drop off my PC?

thanks again....c1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:02 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Theres the problem with our v1's. To get any video playback you need to stick with 1.5 (cupcake) based ROMs, YAR is 1.5 based.

If you move to any other ROMs that are 1.6-2.3 it breaks video playback. You need 2.1 for Flash 10.1 support.

There is the youtube app v1.3 that works good, and skyfire kinda played some flash stuff for me. But no angry birds on YAR .28.

Hope that helps you make your mind up on keeping or upgrading :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:25 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I installed the v 0.28 but what I don't understand is how to install the market.apk. I have read multiple pages and have not found a clear answer. Sorry for the noob question

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

aperk wrote:
I installed the v 0.28 but what I don't understand is how to install the market.apk. I have read multiple pages and have not found a clear answer. Sorry for the noob question

Hi
Copy the market.apk file into the data folder, disconnect from the usb, then from the archos use the files app, go to that directory and "click" on it

Post subject: I need some help
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:18 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I recently bought one of the version 1 refurbs from Tigerdirect.com. I am trying to instal the v.28, but I can't get it to work. After I copy the image file to the SD card and disconnect from my computer and the machine reboots, it keeps going to the recovery screen. At the bottom of the screen it says Can't open / sdcard/ update.img Failed (-3). And then in really bad english it says, " Can not found firmware image or invalid image. Update aborted". It then allows me to reboot and it goes back to the prior settings. Has anyone had a similar issue? Any ideas on how to proceed? Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:36 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

When your buying a tablette the battery autonomy is a big issue. It was like night and day for me after loading Himself's 0.28.
I was getting maybe fours hours before. now the battery well i don't even think about it anymore.
have the market (or a portion of it) and the added program space is sweet.

I'm not getting the full use out of my A7HT V1 though but am fully satisfied. Plenty of movies in my pocket. Any youtube videos. And videos from my Digi cam. One heck of a handy device. never had so much fun.
i capture something with my cam and the next minute its on the 7'' screen to show friends or anyone.
by the way. my cam records in H-264 MPG4. my tablette plays these home made videos of mine perfectly well....eh, untill I raise the resolution to 720.
320, 640 works fine but once i raise it 720, no can do. Sound plays but the first image only of the Vid fixes the screen.
this is true before and after updating Rom.
the specs on this tablette does claim to playback 720. anyone else having this issue with mpg4? I tried converting it to .avi once in that format, it plays (at 720).
if I keep it at its original format (H-264 MPG4) 720 won't play..

Post subject: Re: I need some help
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

SSTURN wrote:
I recently bought one of the version 1 refurbs from Tigerdirect.com. I am trying to instal the v.28, but I can't get it to work. After I copy the image file to the SD card and disconnect from my computer and the machine reboots, it keeps going to the recovery screen. At the bottom of the screen it says Can't open / sdcard/ update.img Failed (-3). And then in really bad english it says, " Can not found firmware image or invalid image. Update aborted". It then allows me to reboot and it goes back to the prior settings. Has anyone had a similar issue? Any ideas on how to proceed? Thanks in advance!

Disregard previous post. Instead of trying to drop v.28 into the sdcard, I used AKAndroid. I followed the directions from the Wiki http://wiki.archosfans.com/index.php?ti ... structions and it worked great. I have another question, is there a thread for just android 1.5 apps that users like and have tested? What is the best Youtube app to use with the v.28 configuration?

This thread is the perfect example of how powerful the internet is in bringing together people from all walks of life, and from all parts of the world, working together to achieve a common goal.
Many thanks to Himself for doing a phenominal job on coming up with the Root and for working out the bugs! Thanks also has to go out to Watkins77 for providing excellent details on how to use AKAndroid and load the new firmware! Thanks again!! :p

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous 130 31 32 33 3436 Next