Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 9:46 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 721 Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:58 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

So I was sitting in a meeting earlier and had an epiphany about this partition size issue. Yes, the meeting was boring. Anyways, I thought that maybe the /user (/flash) partition wasnt mounting because after resizing/moving it the system doesnt know how to mount it without formatting. So, I ran home during lunch, rewrote the files and flashed. I then plugged in the usb, mounted the device so that I could format it and windows told me right away that I needed to format it. I formatted and checked with ADB and sure enough, there was my /flash. However, /data was still the same size. Epiphany #2 comes along and whispers in my ear "reflash again". So I flash again and sure enough, I now have a 116MB app space vice the standard 58MB space. I am going to look at the order in which the partitions are mounted in the boot.img and hopefully get it so we dont have to flash twice.

Long story short, I was mad at myself for not being able to do this even though what I had done was working.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:03 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

great, I'm glad you got it working. I'm excited to see it in action.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:56 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I think there would be quite a few people happy to see a new rom with 200% improvement in app space :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:11 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Since the HT has low RAM for running Apps, using a task killer such as ATMF, Advanced Task Manager Free, becomes even more important.

Allen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:53 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

AllenPapapetrou wrote:
Since the HT has low RAM for running Apps, using a task killer such as ATMF, Advanced Task Manager Free, becomes even more important.

Allen

Very good point Allen. I saw that and said to myself "ohhhhh, there is a cache partition, I can increase that to help with lack of memory". Did some research and it looks like the cache partition is only for OTA updates... that we dont get.... so why is it there.....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:02 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Quote:
Subtitles in movies:
Just a thought here, but does anyone know if the A5IT allows for subtitles? If so, maybe I can rip apart their image and see how they are doing it.

I have both A5IT & A7HT.
Yes A5IT can play movie with subtitles but A7HT cannot.
Sometimes I use A7HT mvideoplayer to play movie with subtitles but it would be great if the A7HT player can play movie with subtitles too. So I can get rid off mvideoplayer and reserve more space for other apps.

Thanks a lot dom for the 0.2v rom...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:42 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

knightdominion wrote:
AllenPapapetrou wrote:

Allen

Very good point Allen. I saw that and said to myself "ohhhhh, there is a cache partition, I can increase that to help with lack of memory". Did some research and it looks like the cache partition is only for OTA updates... that we dont get.... so why is it there.....

Aloha Sir Dom,

I'm not willing now to delve into Android internals, so maybe you could answer these questions for me.

How is the cache partition used?

How, if at all, does "cache" relate to "swap"?

Thanks,

Allen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:29 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

AllenPapapetrou wrote:
Aloha Sir Dom,

I'm not willing now to delve into Android internals, so maybe you could answer these questions for me.

How is the cache partition used?

How, if at all, does "cache" relate to "swap"?

Thanks,

Allen

After further research last night, it looks like the cache partition is used for Gmail attachment previews, browser image cache and DRM downloads, Market downloads, and OTA updates and from what I am reading it is so large (60MB or so) because of the fact it is used for OTA updates. Apparently Archos just threw together this build (I can confirm based on the left overs in some files that do nothing but yet aren't commented out or removed) and really could have made the cache partition smaller because we don't need/receive OTA updates. When I first saw "cache" my first thought was that it would act like a swap file for the whole system but apparently not.

Hope that answers your question.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:16 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

knightdominion wrote:
So I was sitting in a meeting earlier and had an epiphany about this partition size issue. Yes, the meeting was boring. Anyways, I thought that maybe the /user (/flash) partition wasnt mounting because after resizing/moving it the system doesnt know how to mount it without formatting. So, I ran home during lunch, rewrote the files and flashed. I then plugged in the usb, mounted the device so that I could format it and windows told me right away that I needed to format it. I formatted and checked with ADB and sure enough, there was my /flash. However, /data was still the same size. Epiphany #2 comes along and whispers in my ear "reflash again". So I flash again and sure enough, I now have a 116MB app space vice the standard 58MB space. I am going to look at the order in which the partitions are mounted in the boot.img and hopefully get it so we dont have to flash twice.

Long story short, I was mad at myself for not being able to do this even though what I had done was working.

I now have just under a 300MB apps partition but even after changing mount order and messing with other files I still need to flash the device twice for it to be fully functional. If I cant figure it out tonight I will post it as is because I will be away from my main PC wed-sun.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

knightdominion wrote:
I now have just under a 300MB apps partition but even after changing mount order and messing with other files I still need to flash the device twice for it to be fully functional. If I cant figure it out tonight I will post it as is because I will be away from my main PC wed-sun.

I would love that, even if it takes two flashes LOL not really a concern, I love bricking my toys hehe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:20 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

If you do need to flash twice in a row, might I suggest pausing for 45 minutes or so between flashes?

The flashing process involves an overvoltage to the NAND chips and it prolongs their service life if you don't repeat that in rapid succession.

Just a suggestion.

Michael

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:55 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

map002 wrote:
If you do need to flash twice in a row, might I suggest pausing for 45 minutes or so between flashes?

The flashing process involves an overvoltage to the NAND chips and it prolongs their service life if you don't repeat that in rapid succession.

Just a suggestion.

Michael

I will add that into the instructions. Thanks for the info. Wonder how much operational time I took off my A7HT during testing :o

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:36 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Sir Dom, praises to you!

I'm not sure how cache partition is used on archos, but I have a feeling that part of the unstabilities come from filling that up, or pre-allocating it, or fragmenting it. Also, where goes data from dictionary downloads, media library thumbs, Google maps, etc?

I know 60 Mb's quite a lot for this, but who knows. Or, maybe the partition is 60 Mb, but the archos can access only part of it.... obviously it's easy to mess the XML files, and archos engineers are probably humans, too.

There must be a way to check the status of caches, but I can't find it. The data from Application Management looks wrong to me... For example, Google Mail Storage is 600 kb with all my mail, 450 after Clear data is pressed... doesn't look right.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:07 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

added link, changes and instructions for 0.2.1 image with increased app space on first post.

I will be out of town for next few days but will be reading and small posting from phone.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:09 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Location: Most popular lie on internet - "I searched and I could not find."
Invalid or Deleted File

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:13 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

may wrote:
Invalid or Deleted File

Very wierd. They gave me a bad link. Had to get new one. Updated.

Also, the reason this is 0.2.1 and not 0.3 or RC1 is because of the double flash. I will look into that when I get back

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:50 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Location: Most popular lie on internet - "I searched and I could not find."
Update complete !
Everything went like in Instruction.
Thank You Once More DOM !

Last edited by may on Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:56 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

may wrote:
Update complete !
Everything went like in Instruction.
Thank You Ones More DOM !

That was a fast 45 minutes you waited :) Glad it works for you.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:04 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thank you again Sir Dom.

After double reflashing - 238MB available for apps.

BTW: I did not wait 45 min. Quick format do the job.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:06 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

map002 wrote:

Just a suggestion.

Michael

The wait 45 minutes is as per above.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 721 Next