Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 8:36 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 521 Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:33 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

knightdominion wrote:
Diknak wrote:
thanks for the post. do you think three increased app space will be in your next build?

The increased app space and Apps2SD are at least 2 builds away. But, at the rate I am churning these out that should be by the end of the weekend. I am not sure though if I want/need both of them. With increased app space you don't need Apps2SD. With Apps2SD you don't need increased app space. I don't know much about Apps2SD but hopefully you can config it to let you choose if you want to install an app the the standard location OR the SD card. If you can pick I may slightly increase app space and put Apps2SD on there.

Also, what kind of app space are you all looking to have? Give me your thoughts so I can start to get a consensus.

If Apps2SD lets you choose where to install, I'd go with an app space that's double of what we have today.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:08 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Just wanted to say thanx, Sir Dom.
Install was a breeze, seems to be running perfectly. Seems faster than the original, too.

Waiting patiently for the increased app space version :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:16 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I just wanted to say thank you as well. The Android Market was huge for me! I feel alot better about my Archos 7 purchase now =P

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:07 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

500 mb of app space seems sufficient to me, but maybe some would like 1gb.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Does Apps2SD not have any issues with the way archos handles the SD card/internal storage? I dont always keep the sd card in when im using the tablet.

I think a few hundred MB should be enough. Is anyone likely to fill up a GB of app space anyway?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

500 mb is enough , i think impossible that we need more space , if we install a lot of apps to the tablet it could exploit..ha ha ha...

Regards ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:36 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I agree with the 500Mb for the app-space.
That should be enough :-)

I don't know if app2sd is the same as what is included in Android 2.2 (Froyo),
but I have read that on Froyo only a few applications can even be installed on the SD.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:04 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

KnightDomninion

I just wanted to say thank you so much. The Android Market was huge for me, and that alone is something I bow down to you for. Currently no issues to report regarding the firmware versions I have tried.

My vote is for increased internal app space - why? - Internal storage will help to keep all links stable without additonal problems with dynamic ones (such as app2sd). For size level 512mb or even 256mb seems to be a good number not sure if keeping things in power of 2 is necessary?!? versus 500mb. With that kind of room static on the tablet, this could help anyone who favor sd swapping with ease. I must also say that with an increased limit to such a number may introduce other issues as far as stability overall which may be simpler to address without the added and dynamic complexity of external storage

IMHO

jam78ilc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:24 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

jam78ilc wrote:
My vote is for increased internal app space

I agree. Internal storage of 256MB(would rather 500MB+) or more should be sufficient for anyone. I think apps2sd is great when necessary, but here I think it is not needed. Also, I think swapping sd cards is a real possibility for a lot of us, since the 32GB cards are still out of reach monetarily.

I wonder how many of these devices have 2GB internal? I bought mine directly from the archos site and didn't have the option. Thankfully it came as the 8GB version. How much interal app space would be reasonable to those people?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:28 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I may be wrong, but I haven't seen anyone post that they have a 2GB version, so I don't know if it was ever actually released.

But yes, I agree that 512 would make more sense than 500, but 256 would be sufficient for me as well. I just know with 8GB of storage, I just don't see that having 512 partitioned off just for apps would cause many problems (especially with the option of SD cards).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:34 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

iplaythisgame wrote:
jam78ilc wrote:
My vote is for increased internal app space

I agree. Internal storage of 256MB(would rather 500MB+) or more should be sufficient for anyone. I think apps2sd is great when necessary, but here I think it is not needed. Also, I think swapping sd cards is a real possibility for a lot of us, since the 32GB cards are still out of reach monetarily.

I wonder how many of these devices have 2GB internal? I bought mine directly from the archos site and didn't have the option. Thankfully it came as the 8GB version. How much interal app space would be reasonable to those people?

iplaythisgame,

I cant answer that since my tablet size is a 8gb, not sure if a 512mb would be too much for someone with a 2GB Tablet??? Maybe a better way would be to post their opinions like:

Tablet size: 8GB
App Space (yes/no/size): yes 256 - 512mB
App2SD(yes/no): no
SDHC(yes/no/size): yes 16GB

This would probably give Dom a better idea of what he should put at the top of the list

jam78ilc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:00 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Tablet size: 8GB
App2SD(yes/no): no
SDHC(yes/no/size): yes 16GB

;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:47 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Tablet size: 2GB
App2SD(yes/no): yes
SDHC(yes/no/size): yes 4GB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:53 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Diknak wrote:
I may be wrong, but I haven't seen anyone post that they have a 2GB version, so I don't know if it was ever actually released.

Yes, it's actually released. I have one.
I know a lot of people who have one of this version.

In europe http://www.mediamarkt.com/ (a store similar to wal mart in USA ) has sold a lot of the 2GB version.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:20 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

kunta kinte wrote:
Diknak wrote:

In europe http://www.mediamarkt.com/ (a store similar to wal mart in USA ) has sold a lot of the 2GB version.

Hmmmm.... well, as I only have the 8GB version I have no way of testing to ensure my stuff works/fits on a 2GB version. Adding a warning to the main posts now. I REALLY don't feel like maintaining a separate set of code for a 2GB version and an 8GB version. I guess I will if I have to though. Here's to hoping my stuff continues to work on your models.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:42 am 
Archos User
Archos User

knightdominion wrote:
kunta kinte wrote:
Diknak wrote:

Hmmmm.... well, as I only have the 8GB version I have no way of testing to ensure my stuff works/fits on a 2GB version. Adding a warning to the main posts now. I REALLY don't feel like maintaining a separate set of code for a 2GB version and an 8GB version. I guess I will if I have to though. Here's to hoping my stuff continues to work on your models.

I haven't test the root version yet, but versions V1,
V2 and contacts aplications works fine in the the 2gb
version.

Maybe the most problematic version will be the version with different App Space. But if this version gives problems, maybe a version with only App2SD could work.

but I hope the next version works. I pray for this...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:13 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

There are already almost 70 dowloads of my V0.1 rooted image. I want to make sure everyone knows that when I say this is a beta, I mean that the is a beta. Don't just install this and HOPE it works. Install it only if you know how to use the RockChip flasher to recover in case anything goes wrong. I am doing minimal testing (yup, it boots lets move on) to try to get as much done before I leave again for a few days mid next week. I say rooted and people think I say cookie and jump all over it. :)

Just posted version 0.2 of my rooted firmware. Two changes were put into this build:
- ADB su works (after typing su in ADB be sure to hit accept on the superuser app on your device)
- After doing lots of searching, several iterations of trying to figure out the right formats and me being indecisive, pmarin made me a SWEET splash screen and that is now in there. Thanks for all your time and effort. It looks great!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:52 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

knightdominion wrote:
There are already almost 70 dowloads of my V0.1 rooted image. I want to make sure everyone knows that when I say this is a beta, I mean that the is a beta. Don't just install this and HOPE it works. Install it only if you know how to use the RockChip flasher to recover in case anything goes wrong. I am doing minimal testing (yup, it boots lets move on) to try to get as much done before I leave again for a few days mid next week. I say rooted and people think I say cookie and jump all over it. :)

Just posted version 0.2 of my rooted firmware. Two changes were put into this build:
- ADB su works (after typing su in ADB be sure to hit accept on the superuser app on your device)
- After doing lots of searching, several iterations of trying to figure out the right formats and me being indecisive, pmarin made me a SWEET splash screen and that is now in there. Thanks for all your time and effort. It looks great!!!

You're welcome, it is allways great to help back someone who has done so much for us! Hope everyone here likes it and tries to help knightdominion with other stuff in the ROM!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:36 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

respect for your work!
I find it normal that your work is rewarded, what do the other forum?
that would be a thank you?
a big thank you to you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:26 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I've made small PayPal donations when the developer (and sometimes the testers) have PayPal accounts.

So, Sir Dom, do you have a PayPal account?

Allen

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 521 Next