Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:31 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:39 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

As promised, here we go. Standard disclaimer follows:

Disclaimer:
I have not had any issues with this build but that does not mean that there are no issues. I will not be held responsible for any bad things that happen if YOU install this on YOUR device.

All my builds are currently for the 8GB version. If you have a 2GB version take EXTRA caution and be sure you want to be the first to try this.

Now that that's out of the way, lets begin. Below is the link for a rooted version of my ROM and also includes Google Apps as seen in "Operation Unbrickable: The quest for Google Apps". Let me explain what "rooted" means. The the best of what I have been able to find, rooted allows apps to run as superuser or "su" or sudo, all of which means that they are running as the root user. This can play havoc on your device if you aren't VERY careful and pay attention to what apps are asking for what permission. To help fight illicit apps asking for su I included the superuser app in this build. This app will pop-up when ever an app asks for su permissions and you can allow or deny and there is also an option to always allow or always deny the app.

This build also has the contacts.apk file pre-installed but you will still need to reinstall the contactsprovider.apk file in order to get Google contacts to sync properly.

The good:
- All Google Apps work
- Apps that require root work!!!
- ADB SU works (after typing su in ADB be sure you click accept in the superuser app pop-up on the device)

The not so good:
- Still need to reinstall googlecontactsprovider.apk to get contacts sync to work

The bad:
- None that I know of (prepares to put foot in mouth)

Still to come:
- Increased app space
- Apps2SD

Added files not in standard Archos build:
- All the files for the market and apps
- SuperUser.apk
- special su file in system/bin chmod'd to 06755
- edited su file in system/xbin chmod'd to 755 and chown'd to root:root

I haven't had too much time to play with this other then initial testing so this is released as a BETA build.

As always, PLEASE let me know of any issues or additional things you would like to see in the general build that are not already on the "Still to come" list.

If you would like to donate:
DONATE

Download version 0.2 img here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/2oliyzznmqo/update.img

Download GoogleContactsProvider.apk here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/zyj3yzztj ... ovider.apk

Version 0.2.1 with increased app space
This version is still in the works but I wanted to get it out. The difference between this and 0.2 is that this image contains a 290MB app space so you can install 5 x the apps. The down side is the install process. This is not for everyone! I do not have a new device to test this on. My drive was partitioned several different times several different ways before I got a working image for me so I can only HOPE this will work for you. Only do this if you know how to use the RockChip flasher until you hear that it works for other folks.

Other changes to this image:
- usb debugging is enabled by default
- new default background matching the boot screen thanks to pmarin

***WARNING***
You WILL lose everything on your device that isnt in an SDHC card.

Windows Instructions:
1. flash device with updated image as per normal procedure
2. when the device boots up, insert usb cable and mount the drive. If you are in windows, you should get a message saying that the drive needs to be formatted before it can be used. Go ahead and format it with default settings (fat32).
3. wait 45 minutes
4. flash device again with same 0.2.1 image.
5. report back here any issues.

*nix Instructions (thanks quindo):
same as windows except for format procedure below
- Use 'dmesg' to find out which devices are added to your system (in my case sdb and sdc)
- Format the second device (sdc in my case) with the command: mkfs.vfat -F 32 -I /dev/sdc

Download version 0.2.1 img here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?y5zy2hwotilhjmq

HUGE thanks to pmarin for the custom splash screen and background image. I love it and I am sure you will to.

Last edited by knightdominion on Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:23 am, edited 15 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:51 am 
Archos User
Archos User

knightdominion wrote:

Edit: The third time I loaded this I got the shutdown message that would not go away. Shutting down resulted in not being able to start back up. I used the pin hole reset on the back and everything has been fine since (still rooted).

[Ive not installed this root yet but...] Ive been tracking this shutdown issue with my tablet and I noticed it happens only right after (or a while after) you plug in your charger while the unit is OFF and/or right after (or a while after) you plug in your charger while the unit is in Standby/Suspend mode with the switch. I stopped turning my tablet off and it didn't happend again for more than a week, then It happened again and I noticed I had plugged in the charger while the unit was in suspend mode... kinda like if was off... so I guess... maybe I'm wrong, I hope not... Just sharing a bit of my experience maybe could be useful... and keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:20 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Installed as soon as you posted. Working great.

Just a problem, I'm trying to pull some files through adb to configure adhoc networking but it says permission denied, any clues?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:48 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Ah Sir Dom,

May your miracles never cease!!!

Allen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:02 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I managed to edit the file /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf using root explorer, the problem now is to locate the file to enable adhoc connections because the a7ht doesn't have a TI wlan (it has a Samsung SWL-2480 which uses a Marvell 8686 chipset)

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:09 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Congrats.

Excellent work. Everything works just fine.

The only thing I noticed: the AppsLibs is still there. Why?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:27 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

archosfans_nando wrote:
knightdominion wrote:

Edit: The third time I loaded this I got the shutdown message that would not go away. Shutting down resulted in not being able to start back up. I used the pin hole reset on the back and everything has been fine since (still rooted).

[Ive not installed this root yet but...] Ive been tracking this shutdown issue with my tablet and I noticed it happens only right after (or a while after) you plug in your charger while the unit is OFF and/or right after (or a while after) you plug in your charger while the unit is in Standby/Suspend mode with the switch. I stopped turning my tablet off and it didn't happend again for more than a week, then It happened again and I noticed I had plugged in the charger while the unit was in suspend mode... kinda like if was off... so I guess... maybe I'm wrong, I hope not... Just sharing a bit of my experience maybe could be useful... and keep up the good work.

Although the system says to plug in the device while it is flashing new firmware I never do. In fact, it hadn't been plugged in for at least 6 hours prior to loading this and getting the error. I really wish I could figure out what it was. Its almost like a core file occasionally doesn't get its permissions set right or has trouble accessing a file. I REALLY dont think the shutdown bug I got was something I did (otherwise I would have seen it in the previous 2 flashes of this version) but it still concerns me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:33 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Location: Most popular lie on internet - "I searched and I could not find."
I've got it few times on stock ROM, so i don't think it's a problem with Yours.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:35 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

oguie wrote:
Installed as soon as you posted. Working great.

Just a problem, I'm trying to pull some files through adb to configure adhoc networking but it says permission denied, any clues?

I'm an idiot might be the problem. And in this case, when I say "I'm" I am really referring to me. I guess forgot to set su permissions to allow execution of su from xbin (where adb pulls it from). I will implement, test and post that tonight hopefully. Edited first post to reflect such.

oguie wrote:
I managed to edit the file /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf using root explorer, the problem now is to locate the file to enable adhoc connections because the a7ht doesn't have a TI wlan (it has a Samsung SWL-2480 which uses a Marvell 8686 chipset)

Any ideas?

None yet. I looked into this briefly but put it on the back burner. I think the tiwlan.conf is needed regaurdless of what kind of chipset it uses. Not sure though. I need to find a copy of the file somewhere and see what it looks like. We will get there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:09 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

great job! :)

Question: how to see the ad hoc wireless networks?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:31 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

amstramgram wrote:
great job! :)

Question: how to see the ad hoc wireless networks?

See the post just above yours....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:36 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

deltalink wrote:
Congrats.

Excellent work. Everything works just fine.

The only thing I noticed: the AppsLibs is still there. Why?

The AppsLibs app provides specific builds of apps that are "more" compatible with the archos. Since the archos has the menu bar at the top at all times(which normal android doesn't) some programs have issues from the market.

An example of this is the Aldiko program. If you install the program from the market, you can have pages break so that you can only see half of the last line of text on a page. This is because the Market version doesn't expect the menu bar to always be there. The AppsLibs version doesn't do this.

That is why it is important to keep AppsLibs in the rom.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:53 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

thanks for the post. do you think three increased app space will be in your next build?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

very goood we love u ....

can u add the (app to SD) to update?

chinese man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:25 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

iplaythisgame wrote:
The AppsLibs app provides specific builds of apps that are "more" compatible with the archos. Since the archos has the menu bar at the top at all times(which normal android doesn't) some programs have issues from the market.

An example of this is the Aldiko program. If you install the program from the market, you can have pages break so that you can only see half of the last line of text on a page. This is because the Market version doesn't expect the menu bar to always be there. The AppsLibs version doesn't do this.

That is why it is important to keep AppsLibs in the rom.

AppsLibs is a pain in the ass.
Yesterday appslib announce me a 1000 times a new version Daily book, which fails to install.
If there is no dependencies in the rooted version I don't understand why appslib is included in preinstalled apps.
You can always install archos version of aldiko.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:32 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Diknak wrote:
thanks for the post. do you think three increased app space will be in your next build?

The increased app space and Apps2SD are at least 2 builds away. But, at the rate I am churning these out that should be by the end of the weekend. I am not sure though if I want/need both of them. With increased app space you don't need Apps2SD. With Apps2SD you don't need increased app space. I don't know much about Apps2SD but hopefully you can config it to let you choose if you want to install an app the the standard location OR the SD card. If you can pick I may slightly increase app space and put Apps2SD on there.

Also, what kind of app space are you all looking to have? Give me your thoughts so I can start to get a consensus.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:39 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

man

How to delete the software inside?
I want to install more space to install other software

thank u `

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:51 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

onesee wrote:
man

How to delete the software inside?
I want to install more space to install other software

thank u `

You can either wait for me to get adb su to work and uninstall it yourself, build your own ROM or you can go back to the original archos firmware. For the near future I will not be removing any of the apps that are in my ROM.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:57 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

ok... GOOD

WAIT FOR U NEXT ROM...

thank u .

chinese man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:27 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Location: Most popular lie on internet - "I searched and I could not find."
knightdominion wrote:
Also, what kind of app space are you all looking to have? Give me your thoughts so I can start to get a consensus.

Tablet size: 8GB
App Space (yes/no/size): yes 512mB
App2SD(yes/no): no
SDHC(yes/no/size): yes 8GB

Last edited by may on Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next