Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:59 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:45 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I've been following Android and tablet devices for some time. I just wanted to give you guys a heads up that the Rockchip SDK has been leaked on Slatedroid.com (http://slatedroid.com/index.php?topic=341.0) for download. The software is in Chinese and runs only on Windows XP, but allows you to flash any .img files and perform maintenance on the firmwares of the device. The apad on Slatedroid is based on the same Rockchip platform as the Archos 7 HT.

Adb Drivers: rk28usb-new
The adb drivers for Windows XP should also be inside the pack, but I do not have a device to find out myself.

Flash tool is in RKAndroidTool

The RKAmdroidTool may not work until you modify the settings.ini to match VID and PID of your A7HT.

Refer to my translated .ini file for help with flashing in this post: http://slatedroid.com/index.php?topic=3 ... 36#msg3336
You need to save this as English.ini beside Chinese.ini under the Language folder, then change the display language in setting.ini

There's also instructions on slatedroid in the download section. I know Chinese so I can translate more of the manual too if you want.

The offsets for your device might be different than that of the SDK toolkit as well. So be aware of that.

Making your own update.img
You need to have the appropriate files under /rockdev/Image
Then just run mkupdate.bat and update.img will be generated.

About .img files located under rockdev/image
These contain data to be flashed to your device.

The .img files are cramfs and can be unpacked in Linux, modified and repacked. The toolkit should give you everything you need to create your own ROMs.

There are some .img files located in this SDK kit probably are not compatible with your Archos 7 HT, as they are intended for this so called MD01 device, which is probably a SDK device that the Apad is identical to.

Root ideas
To get root, you likely need to somehow modify your default.prop to say:
ro.secure=0

Just unpack your update.img using AFPTool, creating a folder 'updatefolder' first:
AFPTool.exe -unpack update.img updatefolder

Now go modify boot.img.

To make an update.img, use mkbootimg.bat and modify the bat file so it points to your modified folderpath.

You will now have a pre-rooted update.img pack.

Hopefully adb is enabled already. Anyways then you need the su binaries to be pushed to bin and xbin, chmodded. Finally push a Cupcake compatible Superuser.apk. You can also find that on slatedroid.

Warnings
I do not have an Android tablet myself, as an owner of a HTC Dream G1 who has been frequenting xda developers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:18 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hi xaueious,

Thanks for the info. Hopefully this will assist some of our devs and hackers.

Allen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:01 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Afptool allows for unpack and repacking of images. I can post the links up later, but all the information devs need right now for ROM cooking is already on slatedroid under apad. For now there needs to be enough interest. It's actually pretty easy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:28 am 
Archos User
Archos User

This is awesome, great post, thank you very much!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:03 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

New SDK download link via: http://www.hiapad.com/

http://www.hiapad.com/?p=53&lang=en

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:04 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Once you have extracted update.img using AFPTool.exe, you can extract things like system.img using cygwin/cramfsck.exe. They are using compressed ROM FS, or cramfs.

Having a quick look at /etc/firmware on the apad update and the Archos update, the rk28* files are identical in size. Ditto with the sd8686 files.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:34 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

only boot.img, recovery.img and system.img are cramfs images.

kernel.img is some odd format I haven't figured out yet (it might simply be a binary image of the kernel with the ELF header stripped off, thinking about it), no idea what misc.img and misc_data.img are for the moment. Rock28Boot(L).bin appears to be a binary dump of the bootloader.

looking at 'strings' output from /bin/recovery, it appears to be (at least based on) the standard android "recovery". That might help.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:34 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hope someone can help me as I have search and search up and down and comes to nothing except your post in this forum.
I have some update from the seller and they send me MydroidDevTool_v1.0 along with a Chinese manual and some images
boot.img
kernel.img
misc.img,
recovery.img
system.img

I have no idea how to use the RK SDK to update these images. There is little and almost none. Also the manual is in Chinese. Is there any step by step on how to update these images using MydroidDevTool? This post is great but there is not enough steps for me to follow thru.

Anyone can show me?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:10 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Are you sure those images are for A7HT? It's not just any RK28, it has no hardware buttons and needs those toolbar shortcuts, etc. If you are sure about the images, just press the highlighted button.

If you want to check and edit the content of system.img, you'll need 2 Linux tools: cramfsck & mkcramfs. If on windows ÔÇö you can use Cygwin (not the full pack, just enought to run those two). Here's how to unpack and then pack back system.img:
Code:
cramfsck -x foldername system.img
mkcramfs foldername/ system.img

After changing what you want there, pack the update.img back:
Code:
AFPTool.exe -pack ./ Image\update.img

or run mkupdate.bat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:55 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Many thanks notgood!

Now I understand what to do.
I tried to download/install Cygwin, but there are too many package to install. Which package do I install? The only package that is close to the 2 package are
Devel>cramfs
X11>mkcfm

However, when I installed only these 2, it tell me there are certain required files I need to install else it won't run. (Doesn't mention which to install and did not automatically install the necessary package)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:20 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

You need only the cramfs package, it contains both cramfsck.exe and mkcramfs.exe. So just select it and click ┬½Next┬╗. You don't need most of other tools, but if you are not limited in space, it might be easier just to install as it is, the default + cramfs Ôëê 67 Mb, if I remember correctly.

Again, that's for manual editing of the system.img content, so make sure you know what you are doing. And don't use it on boot.img.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:29 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Will the SDK be useful when the Archos 7 is not booting. My device dot stuck diring a image update and I am now trying to recover.