Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:35 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:25 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Aloha Everyone,

I've added a Wiki page, Archos 7HT List of Applications.

The page is a very rough first draft to get us started. The page has a section for Apps Archos includes in the Firmware and a section for Apps not included.

If you know of an App which is not available from the Google Market (or any other Android repository) via normal Download please request that App in this topic.

This applies to Free Apps only. We cannot provide illegal downloads of Paid Apps.

For Paid Apps we can provide a Purchase link.

Update 25 May: I added a section for Non-working Apps. Popular Apps tested not to work on the 7HT.

Thanks,

Allen

Last edited by AllenPapapetrou on Tue May 25, 2010 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Very nice idea...
I have got a very good browser with Videoplayback... I'm not sure its a free app. But the Downloadlink seems from developers Page
Called "Skyfire 2.0"
http://get.skyfire.com/m/tracking_redir ... pe=android

Youtube and Vimeo working fine... Pr0n sites not ;-)

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:41 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Aloha SierraX,

I've seen reference to Skyfire on the 5IT forum. I've DLed it and will test it on my 5IT. If we get any more requests and it works on the 7HT I'll put it in the Wiki.

Thanks,

Allen

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:38 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I like to get "Screen Orientation Lock" I've seen references to it, but it seems that it's only freely available on Android Market.

http://twittown.com/mobile/android/android-applications/tools/orientation-lock-widget

binford

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:36 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Aloha Binford,

I hope it's a widget so its easy to get to. I'd put it on every home screen. If someone else doesn't come forward first I'll DL it and check it out when I get my 7HT next week.

Allen

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:02 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'd like to test the Citrix Receiver for Android v.1.0

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:47 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Aloha Y'all,

I added a section "Non-working Apps" to the List of Applications wiki page. You might want to check it out before you make a request. Also, if you try an App which won't install or doesn't work correctly on the 7HT you might add it to the list.

Thanks,

Allen
Smilie Campaign:
Smilies, Meant To Image Beyond Punctuation! {:D ~ Blah}

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:17 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I would like to see Google Maps and Google Earth!

I have to say that Swype is a MUST HAVE application for all users. I am so glad that this application works on the 7HT without a hitch. It sure beats pecking at the keyboard.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:27 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

long time lurker first time poster,

I installed Swype yesterday and couldn't really tell if it took over as my main keyboard or not, is there a way to tell which keyboard actually comes up? Any way to get rid of apps that are preloaded that you do not want?

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:54 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

It is a pain in the ass to actually make it take over. In the settings menu, there is something for Swype specifically where you can configure specific options. You have to enable Swype there. Then, you have to go into the system input screen and change that from Android Keyboard to Swype. It is not just a simple install and it is working, so you have to play with the settings a bit. But well worth the initial headache! You will know when it is working. To test, I just opened up the note app and started a new note to see which keyboard came up.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

OK, that was a pain in the ass to do and again it was worth the hassle to get it to work, you would think they would make it a tad easier but what can you do,

Thanks for the point in the right direction

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:06 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Installed iHeartRadio yesterday, seems to work fine. Interestingly enough, it runs in portrait mode and moves the top interface bar and options bar as well.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:50 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Would like Sports Tap or Live Scores, would love to have either of the apps available on the 7HIT. I use Sports Tap all the time on my Iphone and love it, wanna get good use out of it via Android :)

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:50 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Omg swype is amazing i just used it to type this ! Fap fap fap lol

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:21 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

To all,

I have stayed up later than I should have testing/using the Archos 7HT especially with some of the rapidfire comments and ideas I have seen on the forum within the past couple days. I guess you can say I am elated XD

So far I am totally impressed about the Archos 7HT. So far it is being quite responsive and staying that way especially with ATMF to help free up resources.

For browsers I have tried a total of three including the stock version, keep in mind that this is based on my own opinion.

Archos 7HT Standard Browser: Works great really gets the job done for browsing. Very easy to navigate with and the buttons/locations are quite predictable and over all I think for general purpose browsing very user friendly. One key factor that I like is that you can mag out to view the entire page, which enables literally a magnified box to quickly pan to any area of the page you desire, then will mag back up to an approprate zoom level to make it readable. I have also installed the youtube.apk file and the stock browser works with it as expected (although the youtube.apk file is hi-res it doesnt screen fill). The browser is quick and speedy although not too smooth when scrolling and reading simultaneously.

Opera Mini Web Browser: Works even better for browsing. Very easy to navigate with and the buttons/locations take a little to get used to but very straight forward and large. This browser tends to have a few more options and settings to dig through for security/customization. One key factor that I like is that when you drag and pan the window around the frame rate is surprisingly fast enough to make it easy to read while scrolling/panning. This type of response makes this browser feel very responsive and snappy, although load times per page between 7HT Browser and this one is only within seconds of each other. I have also installed the youtube.apk file and the browser works with it as expected (although the youtube.apk file is hi-res it doesnt screen fill). The browser is quick and speedy similar to 7HT Standard Browser.

Skyfire 2.0 Web Browser: Works with Archos 7HT for browsing. The software stability as some other forum members mentioned is a bit off but very usable. personally I really didnt like the interface and seemed to be a space and memory hog. The operation of the browser overall felt laggy compared to the previous browsers used. The browser is also fixed in portrait mode, which I guess for some users would be a good option to use. Button locations and finding settings for the browser proved to be difficult for me. After testing the other two browsers I really didnt see much benefit using Skyfire. I have also installed the youtube.apk file and the browser didnt work with it all the time(not sure what to say about that?!?). The browser page loads seemed satisfactory but loading pages with lots of graphics made the browser feel slower compared to the other browsers used.

I haven't tried Dolphin browser but will be on the to do list. I am a guy who tends to stick to what works and what works well. I am tied between the Archos 7HT standard browser and the Opera Mini (so far......)

Jam78ilc

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:49 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I often have a problem with Swype where when I click the backspace key, it types 'po po po' instead of deleting characters. What causes this?

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:56 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Diknak, what are the keys above the backspace key?

Allen

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:02 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

nothing is above it, but it is layed out like a qwerty keyboard, so p is to the left and the o is to the left of the p. I am not touching those because it highlights the key that you are pressing and those are not getting highlighted.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:21 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I was just thinking of the standard 7HT keyboard where "OP" are two rows above and mis-calibration plus a right to left swipe might get "po" instead.

Oh, well...

Allen

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:06 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Looking for a calendar app that runs locally on the Archos 7 but then syncs with Google calendar in the background. Any help?

Update, 05/30/2010 - Time 18:57 EST => I am using anCal which I downloaded from the andappstore (after downloading their appstore app).

The app itself is great and basically creates a MS Outlook-like environment on your A7HT. It does not sync with google, but minus that functionality it seems to be everything I would want in a calendar app.

For the time being, I am just going to have to replicate everything I enter in this app into my google calendar so that it shows up on my smartphones, which is what I had to do back in my iPhone days (had to entern appointments once in iCal and then again in MS Outlook or Google Calendar).
- Zeuxidamas..>>

Last edited by Zeuxidamas on Mon May 31, 2010 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.