Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:34 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: ques for review?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:35 am 

clipper is on the way 2 me. i can entertain your questions here except about battery life, since bleeding it flat may be harmful.

Post subject: Re: ques for review?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:01 pm 

I got a 2gb one. Looks like it does the job of giving basic audio functionality in a small ultralight package that clips anywhere unobtrusively. Plays mp3 and wma. Can navigate by folders, such as advancing forward or back by track or folder, which I like better than that tag nonsense. A slightly fragile feel is unsurprising with it's low price and weight.

One thing I'm having trouble with is the center button that does off/on (long hold) pause/resume (no hold) randomize/sequence (hold 2 sec). For one thing the button is awfully small, but mainly is overloaded in function. How on earth can you shut it off without doing a randomize, which is disasterous for audio books? There is a one-beep / 2 beep feedback from holding, but could mean a variety things not mentioned in the included brochure (anyone know?).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:45 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

viking wrote:
One thing I'm having trouble with is the center button that does off/on (long hold) pause/resume (no hold) randomize/sequence (hold 2 sec). How on earth can you shut it off without doing a randomize, which is disasterous for audio books? There is a one-beep / 2 beep feedback from holding, but could mean a variety things not mentioned in the included brochure (anyone know?).

If you hold the button long enough to shut it down it doesn't randomize.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

viking wrote:
I got a 2gb one. Looks like it does the job of giving basic audio functionality in a small ultralight package that clips anywhere unobtrusively. Plays mp3 and wma. Can navigate by folders, such as advancing forward or back by track or folder, which I like better than that tag nonsense. A slightly fragile feel is unsurprising with it's low price and weight.

Yeah, the Clipper is exactly what I was looking for.

Hate iTunes.

MP3 is the only format I need.

Mostly listen to albums and prefer simple folders to tags.

It's smaller than a cellphone or the Sansa Clip, perfect for working out.

I don't have to worry about it getting stolen as it's so cheap that I wouldn't really care that much.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:56 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Only complaint so far: Not always loud enough :-/

I'm not an EU citizen, so please ARCHOS, let me blow my eardrums when listening to "Killing in the Name"!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:34 pm 

90180360 wrote:
If you hold the button long enough to shut it down it doesn't randomize.

Oh, thanks. Also I seemed to find that the clipper charger/earbud plug is compatible with one of the old generation apple shuffles. So apparently you can share that usb port for both kinds, esp when using the archos usb pigtail.

Yeah, the clipper is good for not being under the prison warden of itunes (erasing any mp3 it can't recognize) and not having to have those tags meticulously set in order to play. I just make a folder of each of several song genres, plus a couple audio book folders, and it's easy to navigate among them.

P.S I wonder if it plays other undocumented formats, beyond mp3 and wma.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:05 am 

90180360 wrote:
Only complaint so far: Not always loud enough :-/

I'm not an EU citizen, so please ARCHOS, let me blow my eardrums when listening to "Killing in the Name"!

Arrgh, that's so true. Can't hear my audiobook at all when walking along a busy street or in a gym with piped music. Now I realize it probably won't be audible in an airplane, even with my noise canceling earbuds!

I didn't expect a lot at this price, but would have gladly have paid more. I just wanted shuffle-like size without the apple constraints. Can't use it in a country that doesn't enforce muffler laws.