Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:34 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:40 am 

Hiya
Well my new 3 arrived today and ive been playing with it non stop.
The machine is the sort of quality build you expect from archos, very good.
the screen is beautiful tbh, video on the screen is small in comparison to the 5 but still very watchable and enjoyable.
Touch screen is very positive (sorry peeps its resistive not capacitive), the virtual scroll wheel is an funny idea but works once you get the knack, a bit quirky though.
The machine is very pocket friendly in comparison to its bigger brothers.
The codecs it supports is excellent, no plugins needed - RMVB out of the box!!!
Boot time is quick, from power button to operation its about 4 seconds.
The built in FM transmitter is very very good, in the past ive not had much luck with these and thought the 3 wouldnt be any better, i was suprised with the results it produced. You have to make sure you plug in earphones as these act as an ariel. the sound is of normal FM standard, i had to move the leads around a bit to get rid of white noise but then it worked well over a 100mile journey, no stations managed to cut accross the signal!!.
The sound quality is very good, i think but havent actually tested yet but i think its actually louder than the 605 and 5. i will keep you posted on that.
STANDARD usb connections again!!!!! thank you archos.

there are a couple of areas that ive found that could do with some tlc.
the screen lock works but when you touch the screen it will still light up!?!? the point of this is well your guess is as good as mine, i was hoping it would de activate the screen to save on the battery life.
It has an excellent range of playable codecs, what happened to AAC?, it a very popular codec but seems to be ommited from this model.
No DRM support (ok imho its not a bad thing as i hate drm but i do like to occasionally download a proggie of bbc iplayer - oh well).
No bookmark feature - this is another thing i use constantly on my other players. it does have a resume though on video and music (unlike the 2 it will resume to where you left off).
No expansion slot, not a big deal tbh, you purchase a 8gb player you get an 8gb player. I find 8gb ideal for a days work, i put what i want on there and thats enough for that day or two at work. But 8gb would fall short for me if i was away on holiday etc.
TV out cable NOT INCLUDED. Ive got dozens of these knocking around from previous models so its not a big deal for me, but i think archos should really have included the leads, leave out the earphones and put in the tv leads would have won over a lot of people.
Cant be read when connected to an 5 using the mini dock. I find this strangely amusing that an archos brand machine cannot be viewed from another archos machine. this is a first for me, all my other machines going back to jmb20 can be read when connected to the 5.
No playlist or search mode options??!!

Some of those things can be solved with a firmware update others cant. But overall, if you need or want basic small player that is an excellent video viewer as well then this machine is ideal. Ive used it now for it now for 14hrs flat and the machine has been rock solid, total crashes - a big hairy ZERO!!!
I wish i had never purchased the 2 now, ive used that once and put it into a draw, but i think that this 3 will now take place of my 5 for every day use.

Battery life, well it has been commented on other sites that the battery life is bad, well from one days usage i wouldnt say it was bad at all. i watched a 1hr 45 min movie, and played an audio book at about 70% volume for a good 12 hrs on one charge (the other 2hrs it was on FM transmitter, 1hr of it on the way into work it was charging but not on the way home). checking now its still showing 2 bars. BUT this battery hasnt yet been properlly calibrated so i will re access this in a weeks time.

I will put some pics up tommorow comparing it with the 5, 605, 405, 2 and 105 so you can get a better idea of dimensions etc.
laters
roy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:50 pm 

a little tip.
if your not planning to watch any movies on your machine on the tv, recode them to rmvb
it dosent take long and the result is an file size MUCH smaller than the original and hardly noticeable on the 3" screen, which equals more movies on the machine!!!
the most capable program ive found and the quickest is
real easy media producer 1.94 - google will find this for you.
if your pc has plenty under its bonnet then it wont take long to recode the files.
roy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:25 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Thank you for the review Roy!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This sounds awesome!

Yup, hopefully they'll fix a few things in a firmware update, like add playlists, bookmarks support and not turn the screen on when it's locked and I guess a few more things.

I wonder if the 480x272 DivX resolution limit and 800kbit/s bitrate limit is really true or if those are just "recommended" or something as for recommending how to encode to save as much space as possible while full DVD resolution might still be compatible. As in recommended as well cause downscaling higher resolution DivX to fit on the screen might require an extra battery power like 20%, 30% or more extra. If full DVD resolution DivX is compatible, then I wonder if b-frames is supported for that. DVD resolution DivX/XviD support with b-frames would mean 95% of pirated BitTorrent movies and TV shows would work without re-encoding.

If you don't mind, I posted your review at http://archosfans.com/2009/08/30/archos ... ylovelock/

We can update the post with pictures and youtube videos if you want to take the time to post some showing the device in action!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:38 am 

no problem mate.
here is a video
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xaby86 ... ision_tech
roy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:26 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Awesome video! I posted it at http://archosfans.com/2009/08/31/archos ... ylovelock/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This thread is now linked to by http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/31/arch ... am-review/

Don't worry about the shaky cam and out of aspect ratio comments. (if you re-upload another aspect ratio version of the video, please do not delete your previous video in either ways, since sites like Engadget are now embedding it). I think your video is cool and showing well how the product feels in terms of size, user interface and to have a good idea of the features and it's overall value in the market.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:49 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I missed the post. Saw this from engadget, how funny. :p Roy, you are famous now on engadget. :)

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/31/arch ... am-review/

How come engadget keeps on posting Archos 3 with MicroSDHC? :roll:

Good review. Great player. Can't wait to put my hand on one of those. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:47 am 

Thanks guys,
engadget is incorrect saying there is a expansion slot, maybe they got a pre release version that could have had a sdhc slot, or are confusing it with the archos 2 (vision) who knows.
Im sorry about the aspect, blooming windows movie maker dosent want to make it correct for some reason, im given up on that program in the future, i hadnt realised it was out until charbax told me, i done the video after work in the very small hours and uploaded it before heading to bed, gone to work and realised im on engadget!. I was pretty suprised as that was my first video review.
Anyways i will try do do a bit more on that with my wife holding the cam this time!! and keep it under 10mins so utube can HD the copy.
thanks again
roy