Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:57 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:56 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Soooo....

I managed to install the latest Windows 8 Consumer Preview and got it working...sort of.

At first I tried doing a clean install but I couldn't get wifi working. So I reinstalled Win7 and installed all the drivers that worked with that. Then I did an upgrade install to Win8 and that kept the wifi working. Woohooo

I originally used the eGalax touch drivers but I couldn't swipe the tiles to view all the apps. So I deleted it and installed the HID beta touch drivers. NOW I CAN SWIPE!

Win8 is really slick however, you need to set your resolution to a minimum or 1024x768 to use any of the apps. This is not an ideal resolution for our A9's. Everything looks stretched. Win8 is also extremely sluggish, at least for me. To the point that is not really usable. I haven't upgraded my HD. I still have the original hard drive installed. An SSD might be better.

You also won't be able to use multi-finger gestures and accessing the charms and other hidden menus on the edges of the screen can be a pain.

Also I haven't been able to activate win8 or search/install updates.

Has anyone else tried installing Win8? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:58 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

i installed win8 and all windows features (IE, copy files,...) are much faster than in win7. but all 3rd party applications (firefox, chrome...) are slower
the metro design is awful and almost impossible to use with archos9, so i enabled the classic start menu.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:13 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Installed, got touchscreen working, wifi worked for a couple of updates but then now gives error 10, can't solve
graphic card give BSOD, trying to stabilise using windows 8 files of intel hd driver...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:07 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I've been running 8 smoothly for a couple weeks now. I love it and metro. I'm surprised to hear that other people don't :shock: I found that it's the anti-virus service is particularly hard on our little machines, constantly uses 90%+ of the io controllers resources, and it runs much smoother if you change the service to not run automatically. Just be more careful about what you do if you follow my advice.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:41 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I installed Windows 8 on my Archos 9 too. Upgraded it from Windows 7 to Windows 8. It works like a charm! :-)

if someone would be interested in a little hands-on video about it, let me know ;).
For people who want to get it working too: make sure you use the right drivers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:42 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I've tried to install Win8 on my Archos9, everything fine, GMA500 drivers installed under compatibility with win7 and soso, but metro apps only run at 1024x768, what's means that the pc has to use even more memory to support that resolution and also everything will look streched because the lcd of the archos is 1024x600, horrible for me.
So sad, that OS almost caught me, but well..
I'm on way back to XP...

Edit...
Here is a shot of mine before starting the downgrade to xp
With the native resolution of 1024x600, the metro blocks should be placed at the center of the screen but here are panned to down because the resolution is not enough