Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:08 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:30 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I just like to share my research I 've made the last couple of hours.

I have my Archos 9 for 14 months now and I am quite happy with it. Although I would really like at least a half giga of more RAM and just a tiny bit faster processor, this machine performs pretty well, even with Windows 7 Ultimate's Aero (my most recent re-install).

So the research has to do with the hard disk's replacement, with a faster counterpart. I consider a PATA SSD not an option. Not only because it is more expensive but also because it has less "compatibility".

I stumbled upon to some great compact flash cards, on ebay, with 32GB of capacity (or less, making them even cheaper) and with transfer rates of up to 600X (90 MB/s read, 60 MB/s write MAX).

I 've said about compatibility. First I plan to install a compact flash in my 8 years old laptop with a 2.5 ide to cf adaptor and then when I buy a new one in a couple of months the cf card will be transferred and installed in the Archos9 with a 1.8 ide to cf zif adaptor (the one advertised for ipod video).

And that's why I suggest using a CF, instead of an SSD disk.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:35 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi,

I'm just curious, did you ever get around to doing this? Was it hard to install and did it work?

I'm planning to upgrade my HD and I'm looking for a cheap alternative to the PATA ZIF SSD's

Thanks