Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:41 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:38 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have just bought a Archos 9, with the latest Atom processor and 32GB SSD for 140GBP, 215USD,165EUR which I thought was a very good price.

I dont want to mess around with it too much, but what can you suggest I do to optimize performance, etc?

Many thanks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:00 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hi and welcome to the forum. I have an Archos 9 that I purchased in October of 2010. It has the Atom 515 1.2 Ghz processor. I installed a 60GB SSD in an effort to make it run faster. I can not say that it really improved performance but it works well. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium so that I could take advantage of touch capabilities in Win7. You could stay with Win7 Starter, though as I do no believe there is any performance advantage. I tried Ubuntu Linux but it just does not completely integrate with the A9 hardware. What's the point or having the buttons on the computer if they don't work?

One thing you could do is to use the auto log-on feature so that the computer boot all the way to your desktop. While this is not good for security, it takes some of the delay out of boot-up. Next, you could let the computer do all of its Windows updates immediately before attempting to play with it. While this may take some time, it will be faster if left alone to complete the task. After completely done updating, turn off automatic updates so you won't get stuck in an update cycle while trying to do some important task. Just do manual updates at the end of each month to keep your system up to date. For security I prefer to use MS Security Essentials. I have found that some third party programs bog the system down to almost unusable.

The A9 is a neat device and will run almost any program that can be run on a regular computer (within reason). The RAM is NOT upgradeable so it is stuck at 1GB. I have successfully run an older version of a CAD program on my A9. Movies are great on it too. Extra batteries in standard and high capacity are also available.

For user input you can use a Bluetooth keyboard or mouse. I prefer a small USB hub with USB keyboard and mouse because it makes it faster to answer emails or navigate programs. The touch screen is good if you don't feel like carrying the extra accessories. USE A STYLUS FOR THE MOST ACCURATE TOUCH SCREEN EXPERIENCE.

One last thing. This is not an iPad and it will not perform like one. It is a different animal and is very useful for its intended purpose but the screen UI is nowhere near like an iPad.

Enjoy your new Windows Tablet PC.