Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:42 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:41 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I bought an archos 9 pc tablet. my first archos product. i bought it by impulse in hong kong. Im not impressed so far. Anyway, I was wondering, when i take away the external power supply my archos immediately shuts down. The battery light indicates fully charged, but without the external supply it will not boot. Sounds like a bad battery to me, but i bought it from a reputable dealer in hong kong. Is it common for unused batteries to become unusable without any visual damage? Also, that piece at the top, the long horizontal wavy thin piece... what is it and can or should i take it off, its sort of flimsy and it bothers me. I would like to eventually load a different OS than windows 7 starter, such as Android or even XP. I bought this for 340$ in hong kong and id be happy just to get 200 of that money back, its virtually worthless to me right now. anyways, if you have any suggestions and or mods that can help please write back. thanks

happy thanksgiving day

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hey guys, so i ordered a new battery from amazon, ill let you know how it goes...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:23 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Not much action here like there was a year ago. Hopefully your new battery fixes your A9. I found that my A9 is heavier than my Asus netbook so it stays at home now for business trips. It was ok when I did use it but slow and clunky using the on screen keyboard.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:26 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

new battery came in, works now. next big thing is to get rid of this windows starter edition. i'd like to try to run android maybe i will...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:37 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

You can do what you want but the A9 runs best on Win7. Anyone that says anything else is lying to themselves. This is just NOT a fast machine (even with the 1.2 CPU) but everything pretty much works without issue. A fresh install is best to get rid of bloatware. I tried out Ubuntu 10.04 and it worked but the hardware buttons do not work, then for some reason it stopped playing videos. It also was a week long effort to get everything set up and to get the speakers and microphone to work. A lot of searching the internet and reading the Ubuntu thread here. Skype sucked also. I really doubt you would get any extra mileage out of Android. I've tried it on other x86 machines and its not ready for prime time.
If you feel the need to upgrade do a simple Windows 7 Home Premium. It gets you better touch screen options and user definable wallpaper. I don't think its any faster than Starter though. It will run just about any PC program you can throw at it. One last thing (you didn't ask, but) I installed an SSD drive in my A9. It works but it is really no faster than the old drive. At least not "blow your socks off" fast. It was not really worth 134USD change (but I had to try it).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:56 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

thanks, the one i bought is actually the ssd version with the forementioned 1.2 processor and boy am i disappointed lol. but i figure in a year or whenever i get bored with it, i can dismantle it and use it for parts. im sure there must be something useful inside. archos kind of failed on this product, it had such great potential. screw ipad and steve jobs

*edit-
what about chromium OS? ever tried it? i want an exceptionally "lite" version of 7. hows the 8 beta? i have been off the grid for a lil while now and i find it overwhelming all new stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:57 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I have to say, if you wanted an iPad substitute, this is not it.
It is a decent portable computer and I think it could find use in some industral applications. But as far as alternate OS my opinion stands. I doubt anything would fully work like Win7, BUT, it would not hurt to try. It looks like Win8 has limited success. See other thread for info. JMHO...