Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:19 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:19 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

When I bought my a5a (500gb) I was really tossing up at the time between it and the A9. Now I face similar decision when looking to replace my a5a. The a5a was fantastic and I loved it's portability but would be willing to trade this off against win7 funtionality of the 9. Thing that bothers me though is the low capacity (32gb) of today's device.

I suppose could get around this by upgrading hard drive in time but these ssd's are still quite expensive. However, portable hard drives should connect ok shouldn't they in terms of movie files etc on the go?

Question for you 9 users out there...If you could have your time over would you still get one? and - is there decent ebook readers that can be used with the a9?

I've got an over supply of win7 laptop's and desktops at home but really looking for replacement portable device for my much loved a5a...

Thanks for any advice offered.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:18 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Andrew,

I like my A9. I have the z515 (1.2GHz) model and just upgraded the harddrive to a Renice 60GB ($140 Mydigitaldiscount). I posted here about the install. Running Win7HP, it works well but it is still not super fast. The part I find annoying is that the touch screen doesn't scroll very smoothly. I am using an add-on in Firefox for this. One other thing I just did a few days ago was to make the scroll bars wider so thay are easier to control with a fingernail or stylus.

I have to say, though that I don't use it much since I got an ASUS 1015PN dual core Netbook. I just prefer a real keyboard over the resistive touch screen keyboard. The A9 is actually heavier too. If you need a tablet PC for sketching and note taking then the A9 is a great choice. I understand capacitive screens are not as accurate but I think the user experience of a cap screen is better (I prefer the touch screen of my A70).

Maybe you could get a used one cheaper and upgrade the drive to SSD.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:38 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Appreciate your advice Steve. Since my main interest is with media/ebooks etc I think I will have a crack at replacing the hard drive in my a5a (smaller, lighter and more portable). The additional capabilities over those of android for the 9 are nice to have's but probably overkill in my case.

Thanks for your opinion - I will still keep an eye on these going forward because as far as I can see, nothing I can find around today comes close for the price (for a win7 tablet)..

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:56 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

NO