Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:20 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:44 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

This was a rather simple upgrade from the stock Toshiba HDD. I used this link viewtopic.php?f=50&t=29872&hilit=open to find the proper way to open the case. Thanks Gandalf28!

The new drive came with foam pads that I did not use. The rubber edge liner from the Toshiba fit perfectly. Did not have to install in any unusual way just oriented the same way as the original with the connector facing up. There is a tiny black rail that must be lifted to release the cable and pressed down to lock. Just be sure the cable is properly seated and do not force it into the connector.

One very important step. Before even opening up my A9 I downloaded the latest trial version of Macrium Reflect (v5). This software allows HD cloning. Just install the SSD into the provided case (just don't install the cover). Connect via USB and confirm that the computer can see it via Computer Management. Then start Macrium and follow the directions. It took 57 minutes to complete the cloning stage. After its done you can use Explorer to see if it looks like your original drive.

After this crucial step was complete it was a simple matter to open the case, replace the drive, install old drive in the provided Renice case for future use as a 60GB auxiliary drive. Before buttoning up the A9 I taped (and held) the battery to the back of the unit and started it up to confirm it was working. I let it cycle through installing the Renice drivers (Internet required) and then shut down properly. Then I put the case back together. Be sure to watch for the piece of plastic on the Port Replicator connector. Mine fell off and I found it when I had half the screws back in. Its not going back any time soon. One last thing. Keep the screw from behind the kickstand separate and there are 2 screws in the battery area that are smaller so keep tabs on them too.

I purchased the drive from mydigitaldiscount.com. They had a slight problem getting the last batch of drives in through customs but once that cleared I had it in a day. They are very responsive to phone calls and questions. I highly recommend them and will make future purchases when I need more SSDs. They also carry other memory products like a 32GB Micro SD for $20 cheaper than I paid on Amazon. Oh well.

Currently running the WEI assessment to see where it winds up. Will post back later.

Now I have an A9 that has no moving parts, a Z515 processor and a larger SSD than the new A9s coming out. Too bad for the 1GB ram but it works very well for what it is.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:18 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Nice but expensive..

Now lets add that new skin!
http://www.istyles.com/archos-archos-c- ... ge=0#49509

;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:54 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

ebsbow wrote:
Nice but expensive..

Now lets add that new skin!
http://www.istyles.com/archos-archos-c- ... ge=0#49509

;)

I have to say, I like the Leopard skin and the dark burlwood...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I tried with this SSD just like you describe and it would not boot! Did you format/s the SSD prior to the clone?? You had no issues with booting?? Macrium clone then you just swapped drives and it worked?? FAIL!!!!! When I look at the image I don't see the system, boot, page file, crash dump listed under staus in the drive management screen. All it shows for the cloned drive is E: active, primary partition!! So the cloning is not copying the disk completely. How did you not have this issue?? HELP!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:50 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

rmarks61 wrote:
I tried with this SSD just like you describe and it would not boot! Did you format/s the SSD prior to the clone?? You had no issues with booting?? Macrium clone then you just swapped drives and it worked?? FAIL!!!!! When I look at the image I don't see the system, boot, page file, crash dump listed under staus in the drive management screen. All it shows for the cloned drive is E: active, primary partition!! So the cloning is not copying the disk completely. How did you not have this issue?? HELP!!

Hi,
I started by mounting the Renice into its provided USB enclosure. You must carefully release the tiny black clamp with a fingernail. This allows the cable to slip into the slot on the edge of the drive. I then confirmed via Windows Disk Management that the drive was available. If you can't see a DISK 1 then there is a problem with the cable connection in the enclosure. Also the little red light should be on indicating that it is working.
With the TRIAL VERSION of Macrium installed, clone the entire A9 drive to the Renice SSD.
When installing the Renice SSD into the A9 the connector should be fully visible and not under the drive. Be VERY CAREFUL inserting the cable into the connector and be sure the tiny clamp is released, then locked. If you pulled the cable out without releasing the clamp it might be damaged, but I don;t know if that is even possible. I think the most important part of the project is to be sure that the cable is properly installed. Do not force it.
Good luck working on it.

ON EDIT>> Make sure you have the correct version of Macruim. It sounds like you did not drag over both partitions that are located on the original hard drive. There are 2 and you need both in the correct order.