Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:54 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Win XP on Archos 9
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:01 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Thanks to Plouat and his thread at viewtopic.php?f=50&t=30489 I have my Archos 9 running Win XP Pro like a charm. I have not done any tweaks, other than removing some Windows applications like MSN Explorer, Outlook Express, Games, wallpapers and a few others. In a few days IÔÇÖll be performing some tweaks and will post them here.

In the meantime, if anyone has comments, questions or suggestions, please post.

Post subject: Re: Win XP on Archos 9
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:08 am 
Archos User
Archos User

So far I have installed a few programs; Comodo System Cleaner, Google Chrome, MagicDisc, PrimoPDF, Foxit Reader, Microsoft Security Essentials, 7-Zip and Microsoft Office 2003. Altogether, along with Win XP, drivers, etc. it came to 10.4 GB of hard drive space.

Also did a few tweaks: Disable most of the items under ÔÇ£Visual EffectsÔÇØexcept for Show shadows under menus, Smooth edges of screen fonts, Use a background image for each folder type and Use visual styles on windows and buttons. I also set Virtual memory to 3048 MB, both minimum and maximum.

One thing though, I used Speasy.com to check the internet speed on the Archos 9 and was getting about 2.6 Mbps, while my other PCs were getting about 10 Mbps. I ran TCP Optimizer (Download here: http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php), now IÔÇÖm getting about 16 Mbps on all PCs, including the Archos 9. IÔÇÖm supposed to get up to 18 Mbps, so 16 is not bad at all.

So far, I must say that Im impressed and everything is working just fine. My next step is to partition the HD and change Virtual Memory to a separate partitionlet see how that goes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:41 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Hi,

I don't think putting the swap in another partition will improve performances.

First partition begins at cylinder 0, at the outside of the disk. This is where the performances are the best. Other partitions, especially the little one which will be created for the swap at the end of the disk, will mecanically be the slowest.

Some tools can defrag and move a fixed swap at the beginning of the fisrt partition. I think this is the best solution.

Some of these optimizations became urban legends because lots of things have changed since Win98. I'm curious (and doubtfull) about the performance increase on the A9.

Bye

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:36 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

[email protected], you made some good points. It has been a while since I messed around with XP, but some of the old tricks do not work. I came around this article that has some good info on page file" and other tweaks: http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/memory-w ... ry-4.shtml

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:55 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Ok, so I did partition the HD creating three different ones: C-Drive, E-Data Drive and F-VirtuaMem Drive (D was taken by MagicDisc).

IÔÇÖm using the EÔÇôdrive for My Documents folder as itÔÇÖs always a good idea to separate your data from your OS. (Simply right-click My Documents folder, select Properties, Location tab, change drive letter.)

I used the F-drive to setup Virtual Memory (paging file). I went back and forth between the normal Win XP paging (automatic) file and custom setup. I didnÔÇÖt notice any changes in performance, positive or negative. Needless to say, I deleted the F-partition and merged the E-partition to it, increasing data drive space.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:31 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

oops just found the xp driver list but are all the "features" cross compatable?

like the PS2 touch screen, mouse wifi and cam? windows 7 was a bit flash for me and was a tiny sluggish with all thouse colours and shades and so on, but i have an XP SP3 disk lieing around so am considering it,

is it a standard instilation? ie if i get a portable usb dvd drive and do an instal with my xp disk everything will calobrate properly?

or did you do it a different way?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:16 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

should work properly, but as the graphics drivers aren't flash 10 optimized, flash videos will stutter when playing them.
(intel stopped developing drivers for the gma500 for winxp, so you won't find newer drivers in the future)

for me it was the reason to sell the device, as it is too slow for win7 (1 gig of ram doesn't seem enough, even when swap out the hdd for a ssd)

could have been a nice slate if you were given the possibility to add more ram

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=38161

meny thanks

simon :arrow: :arrow: :x :x