Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:36 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: new user need guidance
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:06 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello.. i was just receiving my archos 9 today, join this forum. Currently typing with it, still getting use to it. Speed seems ok, touch screen kinda sluggish,but acceptable... Strangely windows update still in 0% after half hour. Is that normal? Any idea?
After reading this forum, i'm slight confused. Do you guys have any suggestion what should i do to increase performance? Step by step?
Appreciate it. Many thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:10 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Still in fear in modyfing anything.... Looking for backup solution. I see windows 7 has its own image backup.... Can i just use it? Or should i go for savepart or acronis?
Need comment guys....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:56 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

User activity is pretty low nowadays, ekafithra.
However, there is a lot of useful information if you can find it.
I know it's saved me a couple of times already. :lol:

I would suggest building a full hard drive image using an external backup software like the ones you mentioned. You'll notice threads related to restoring factory image is getting more popular as people are starting to sell their units... [-X

Slow is a relative term. Are you comparing the response to your iphone? It will never be that smooth. It is quick for what I expected it to be: something smaller than a netbook that has a full PC operating system on it.

I find the greatest improvement in response by turning off 'visual styles on windows and buttons'. Sure, it looks like you're running Windows95, but boy is it fast!

There are a number of other threads that profess to increase performance by disabling/removing drivers and such... I'm not a big subscriber to that.

I did pick up a small USB drive and use Readyboost. By my anecdotal account, it does improve performance somewhat.

Others have replaced their hard drives with SSDs (flash disks, basically a huge brick of memory).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:56 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Mine was slow as heck when I first got it, but it runs faster now. I did a clean installation of Win Home Basic though. I bought it because I wanted something that I could use to write documents while on th road, however, it will never replace my laptop. So far it's what I'm looking for, except for the speed. My hopes are to get either Android or Google Chrome OS to work without glitches on my Archos 9; these OS's won't be as demanding as Win 7, making it for a faster computing experience.