Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:30 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:43 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Since I bought my A9 I had read many comments recomending to upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium or Ultimate edition for fast performance. After installing some editions of Windows 7 in my A9, I noticed that the speed (or performance) problem was not really with Windows 7 Starter edition. My conclusion is that Archos engineers installed the included Windows with other "shell" software that make it inefficient. So, how do i get better performance with Windows 7 Starter edition ? Just installed your OS from an original Windows installation disk. This is very simple. If you have a genuine Windows installation disk (any edition ) you can modified with notepad, the "ei.cfg" file included in your edition to change it from whatever it is, to "Starter" edition. To do that you will need to make a bootable USB and copy all your Windows Installation Disk software to it. After that, explore what is inside your USB and you will find the "ei.cfg" file inside the source file. Then you can installed and activate your A9 with a fresh version of W7 Starter. Just use the included license in the back of your A9. Your license will only be good for the "starter" edition. Remember to format your main "C" drive before installing it. After installing W7 Starter, you will need to installed "Intel graphics" and "Touch" drivers. The results would be amazing !!!

More information here :

http://windows7center.com/news/how-to-i ... windows-7/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:51 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I agree.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for sharing, but can you elaborate about the real benefits?

I mean, the Archos softwares can be uninstalled. Windows updates itself to the latest automatically. What more do you need?

As I say, thanks, but I need more facts. Did you notice/measure a faster OS ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:25 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Unistalling Archos software doesnt make any improvement. I beleived that the software is loaded but not visible, so it takes some resources from your CPU. Making a fresh installation from a recently format drive makes a hugh difference. My computer load W7 in about half the time, also high definition videos run smooth now, using Windows Media Player. I kept same codecs but installed "ac3filter_1_63b_lite"...