Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:49 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Archos 9 Network Issues
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:23 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I received my Archos 9 just 2 days ago, and immediately started testing it out. Immediately I started experiencing a locking up on the device where it would hang and I would have to hard power-down the device.

I read many of the posts from other users who have experienced lockups and tried everything from updating video and other drivers to trying to update to Windows 7 Ultimate (failed at 38% as many have experienced after taking 3 hours to attempt) and finally I installed Windows XP on the device instead to see if that would resolve the issue. Unfortunately none of these resolved the issue.

The tablet was intended not only for use as a media center device but mainly also to view security cameras remotely over the internet (streaming video). It appears after 48 hours of extensive frustration and testing, that the cause of my lockups are due to a problem with the wireless network card built into the device. Even running a constant ping to google.com I get returns on less than 1/2 of the packets that are sent. If I just use the box for surfing the internet or my latest test - playing a digital copy movie, the Archos 9 performs well. But as soon as I start consuming higher bandwidth it crashes and locks regardless of the OS being used.

My question: Has anyone else experienced problems with streaming high amounts of data - Copying large files over the network or streaming video over the internet?

I like the size/shape and feel of the Archos 9, but if the problem is a design defect instead of a simple failed part, then I might just return it instead of exchanging it for another of the same.

Any feedback appreciated!
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Update: Definitely a network issue. Played 2 full length Digital copy movies with no problems (network card off and disabled in windows). Then enabled the network card, connected to Wifi and began streaming a TV show from Hulu. Not even 10 minutes in, full lockup.

I only post this because there probably aren't too many streaming security cameras, so I wanted a test that was duplicable. I'm sure there are a few out there streaming from hulu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:12 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Update Windows first then update the 9's drivers from their site. Turn off all power saving schemes, hibernation too. Only allow your keyboard to run on startup. After all this flush the registry and try your HULU test again. I have no issues with HULU streaming except for a poor WiFi connection or when on a network that is configured incorrectly. Have you tried a WiFi session and get the same results? Your using the Archos port replicator?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well if you can stream without any problem, then there is still hope for this device...just not this one.

Finally got the windows logs to toss some errors and they were internal Hardware Wireless Network Card errors, so I hope that the issue is just that. Sending it in to exchange it today, so I will have to see.

I tried most of those same steps...only thing was I could never even get the windows updates to download to the device, because it wouldn't keep a network connection steady enough (Wifi still showed great signal, just had issues actually communicating). Wish I had a port replicator to test it with, but it seemed silly at the time I purchased it.

I hope that I can get this device working properly, I really do like it when it works.

Thank you for the input.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:42 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well took a month to get a replacement for the defective 9 but the good news is that it was a hardware issue with the network Card. The new unit works perfectly under all situations. With afresh install of I pro and some of the hibernate and Touch fixes from this forum. this is now my favorite toy. Even streaming High def Cameras the 9 holds up like a champ!