Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:29 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I've had my Archos 9 for about a month and have some tips that have sped it up. First get a good registry editor/cleaner, flush the registy after updates and program installs/removals. Second, limit startup programs to keep that 1 gig of ram to about 48% used. Third install a SSD of 64gig or bigger, this will make a big difference. Fourth run the frontside bus speed program, I have mine clocked so the cpu runs at 1.406 gighertz and it is stable. Fifth change the virtual memory manually to 4096 and set the Windows boot to use both processors. Doing all these things has increased my CrystalMark scores from stock 13000 to 18000+. Your mileage may vary. Also the battery life is still about the same because that SSD uses way less power. Didn't really notice if the thermal signature increased. Now my Win 7 Archos 9 boots faster than my friends 9 running XP by a good 10 seconds if this really matters. I have no issues with video playback. Try some or all of these tips and see for yourself. I'm still impressed with this real operating system slate. I will purchase another Archos 9 now that they are about to be discontinued. $400 is a bargin. I like my Ipad but I use the 9 more often go figure. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:13 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Aloha rmarks61,

Thanks for the tips. What SSD did you install? Where did you get it?

Allen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:45 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The SSD I installed is a RunCore IV 64gig ZIF. I also have a KingSpec 64 but the RunCore has better performance and it came with a USB drive bay/cloning software. Cloned the old drive. It took about 20 minutes to install (10 screws). MAJOR improvement! I've seen these SSD's on the auction sites for $150. With the Archos 9's lower price its well worth it for 64g or 128g.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:44 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Thanks for the product reference.

Allen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:16 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

rmarks61 wrote:
First get a good registry editor/cleaner, flush the registy after updates and program installs/removals

Could you recommend one? which one did you use?

rmarks61 wrote:
Third install a SSD of 64gig or bigger, this will make a big difference

Why 64gig or bigger? Would a 32gig SSD be OK?

Thanks

Guy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:54 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

64gig ssd is the same size as the existing drive so you can keep your recovery partition. 128gig just gives you more space of course. 32gig and you'll have to 86 the recovery partition to have any worth while space, but will work.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:49 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

rmarks61 wrote:
I've had my Archos 9 for about a month and have some tips that have sped it up. First get a good registry editor/cleaner, flush the registy after updates and program installs/removals. Second, limit startup programs to keep that 1 gig of ram to about 48% used. Third install a SSD of 64gig or bigger, this will make a big difference. Fourth run the frontside bus speed program, I have mine clocked so the cpu runs at 1.406 gighertz and it is stable. Fifth change the virtual memory manually to 4096 and set the Windows boot to use both processors. Doing all these things has increased my CrystalMark scores from stock 13000 to 18000+. Your mileage may vary. Also the battery life is still about the same because that SSD uses way less power. Didn't really notice if the thermal signature increased. Now my Win 7 Archos 9 boots faster than my friends 9 running XP by a good 10 seconds if this really matters. I have no issues with video playback. Try some or all of these tips and see for yourself. I'm still impressed with this real operating system slate. I will purchase another Archos 9 now that they are about to be discontinued. $400 is a bargin. I like my Ipad but I use the 9 more often go figure. Good luck!

Can you elaborate on step 4 & 5? I'd like to know what program you used and the customization you used.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello rmarks61,

can you tell me please which one of those two models
is the correct... "RunCore 64GB Pro IV 1.8" PATA-IDE SSD" OR "RunCore 64GB Pro IV 1.8" PATA-ZIF SSD" ?
Probably the "RunCore 64GB Pro IV 1.8" PATA-ZIF SSD" model, but we are talking for a PATA drive ?

Thanks,

John

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:57 am 
Archos User
Archos User

From everything I've seen it is going to be the ZIF.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:00 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

This one:
64GB RunCore Pro IV 1.8" 5mm PATA ZIF Solid State Disk SSD

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:11 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

tureby wrote:
This one:
64GB RunCore Pro IV 1.8" 5mm PATA ZIF Solid State Disk SSD

Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:02 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello,

I just bought a archos 9 and read about it a lot on this forum. I am not so technical and i have a question. Can somebody tell me how exactly i can change the CPU and set the windows boot to use both processors? I would appreciate any comment because i really don't know how to do so.

Thank you!

Regards,

Peter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:45 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Go to Start-Run and type MSCONFIG, enter

On the 2nd tab, go to Advanced and set the cores to 2. (Optional: "make this configuration permanent", I recommend this)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:43 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

erik wrote:
Go to Start-Run and type MSCONFIG, enter

On the 2nd tab, go to Advanced and set the cores to 2. (Optional: "make this configuration permanent", I recommend this)

Thanks mate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:39 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

ok so i got the 2 processors both on on start up vis MSCONFIG
now maybe i am missing something but can ANYONE, please tell me how the HECK
to Reduce the Partition? i have been trying forever, and reading everything on here and i cant Figure it out..
PLEASE HELP !!

and i could use any more tips on how to make my A9 more Efficient and or Run faster!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:50 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Performance
-----------
1) Enter BIOS and reduce video memory from 256 to 128 M, this gives you 868 free RAM instead of only 746 free RAM. (EDIT: it may break your 'Suspend' state, test it)
2) Disable Aero, or at least the majority of 'special effects' in Performance tab (Advanced System Settings).
3) Disable Cache of tumbnails in Folder Options
4) Do not run 50 programmes at once / Do not click like crazy all over the screen when it is not reacting as fast as you like. 1 click is enough to send orders.
5) Disable background programmes.
6) Do not visit 'warez', 'dirty' and bullshit internet sites because you WILL need to install an antivirus (i do not)
7) Copy your virus checked movies and software from your main computer instead.

At the beginning, check your performance graphs often to see WHEN/WHY performance is low sometimes.

Last edited by erik on Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:47 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Hi,

I'm used to fix the swap size (user defined : min = max). It was an old tip since Win98 in order to avoid the swap size to be recalculated and resized. I don't know if this is still usefull.

You can shutdown indexing and windows update services too (stop, and set it to "manual").

Bye

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:36 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

8) Use a USB2 pendrive to increase avaible RAM (Readyboost). Haven't seen a big improvement, but it's light is often blinking so it is working.

Nashaf: the swap size tech is completly different with win7. The most respectable techs say today: don't touch it.)

I also disabled Search (and some corporate network stuff), as I won't store documents on the a9 and Search is often active. Good one!

On the other hand, why for the love of all mothers would you disable Windows Update? It is not constantly active, just 1 minute once a day or however you schedule it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:29 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Making the above list yesterday, I made some changes myself, and this morning my archos9 would not come back to life from Suspend... Removed battery and I had to set Video memory back to 250 in the Bios... strange but maybe Windows needs to store the video cache in order to suspend properly.... :)