Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:21 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:10 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi All

I have had great success in installing Windows 7 Enterprise and Ultimate (everything works just fine).

I experimented with Windows XP and found this is much faster and works great however one piece of hardware doesn't work. The Broadcom Combo Wifi/Bluetooth doesn't function correctly. The bluetooth works great, but Wifi won't start. I've selected the correct XP all-in-one package from Broadcom for their driver and it installs as a Broadcom 802.11g device but won't start.

A few things to note.........

1. With Windows 7 Enterprise on I found the windows on-screen keyboard much better.
2. Window 7 Enterprise / Ultimate allows the press-hold to give a RIGHT-MOUSE click which i find much better
3. You do not need to install XP Tablet edition (XP Pro + SP3 works just fine). This is due to the all-in-one package for the touch screen taking control of the functionality. The only issue with using vanilla XP Pro is you don't get the hand writing / on-screen keyboard benefits as with Tablet edition (on normal XP just use the Archos keyboard setup but you can't install the hand writing Tablet Tools as with Tablet Ed.).
4. Like I say everything works EXCEPT the wifi network device on XP Tablet / XP Pro

I found that using a 3G stick I could use XP and this is a useable workaround for me, but I'd really like to get the wifi sorted out, any one else managed this?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Bliztspear,

Thank you for this - can you just confirm for me that Windows 7 Enterprise/Ultimate worked just fine and that all drivers worked - the Wi-Fi capability is important so I would not wish to lose that - I have assumed this has only happened under with Windows XP and not Windows 7?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:28 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I installed Windows 7 professional and the WiFi worked fine.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:34 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

is the performance even more sluggish than it is reported to be on Windows 7 Starter?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:03 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Lets get something straight, this is not a desktop or even any laptop it is simply a net book with the added bonus of not carrying around a keyboard.

It is not very powerful, it will play your music, play your movies allow you to surf the web, run an office application, MSN and similar applications, start doing more than three or four things at a time you are going to suffer.

If you expect it to perform on equal par with $500/£300 laptop you are going to be disappointed.

For me it is great I can check my e-mails with a good size screen, run most of my software that I would need to run if I was away from the office, keeping contact and solve problems when needed. With the added bonus of not having to run non-standard software.

It is not fast, but it does the job.

Going from Windows 7 starter to Windows 7 professional I have not noticed any significant impact on performance.

It even runs Windows Aero!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Stevember,

Bravo! My thoughts exactly as some of my other posts will testify. It very depressing to note the many knocks when, actually, in the 2 weeks I have had the Archos 9, it has done exactly as is said on the box - will probably now upgrade to Home Premium since that suits my needs/price. Only (minor, niggly) issue remaining for me is activating the ┬ú80 AMC discount ÔǪ but I am loosing no sleep over it - still await Archos to get back to me but will be patient on that.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:05 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

the only reason I thrown professional on is because that is the version I I bought for my desktop when it was discounted to £80, I figured I would throw it on for 30 days until I needed to activate, if it worked well I would then go to premium.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:36 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Are these 32-bit versions of win 7 pro/ultimate you are installing? I would have expected 1 gig of ram for win 7 ultimate to not go over so well. Would be surprise it would even let you install it.

But since you mentioned its running aero than I guess it must be the 64 bit version.

How much hard disk space is left?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:42 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

32 bit as it is not 64 bit CPU.

Professional uses max 6gb space.

The majority of features that are added to home premium, professional and ultimate will not make a difference to running speed of the Archos, it is only when you need them features.

You can also easily disable anything you want.

Again, if you are after a mobile powerhouse do not buy this it is not designed for that. You will be waiting at least two years!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:50 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

If you install the FULL Windows 7 and choose to format C:\ does this remove the Security Center or is this program part of the BIOS? I ask because if I can still access the service center screen I can still restore the FULL backup from D:\ if anything goes wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:30 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

You lose the Security centre if you format.

I made that mistake, I am myself wondering if there is a way of getting it back.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:03 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Having read the various threads, I have taken the gamble and have just installed Windows 7 Home Premium on my Archos 9 PC through the Anytime Upgrade facility (cost ┬ú70 though I noted you can get a similar package from PC world for ┬ú65 via a CD ÔÇô I did my online with no problem). Upgrade installed with no problem (thought it took about 30 minutes rather than the 10 it says it can take) - all settings transferred just fine and associated devices are operating correctly. Even better, Windows Journal and One Note now recognise my handwriting (as per a standard Tablet PC) which is I know what quite a few like ÔÇô the Windows Keyboard also now appears automatically (having set this up in the Control Panel) ÔÇô this means I have been able to uninstall the Hot Virtual Keyboard trial edition which would have cost me ~┬ú25 in a week or so once the trial version had expired. Windows 7 Home Premium also comes with additional games, all of which operate acceptably. Have not seen any reduction in processor performance or in battery life this far ÔÇô in fact, I reckon the PC is starting quicker than it had done. So far, I am content with the decision I have made.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:06 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Does it play itunes video?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:31 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have a copy of windows home premium on a bootable USB flash drive but when I try and install it I get the message saying I must upgrade via the windows anytime upgrade procedure. Is there any way round this as I don't want to spend more on the upgrade when I already have a copy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Drunken Max

Reference itunes video - sorry - but do not use this but have had no problems playing others.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:30 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

@dieseldog I'm pretty sure you have to opt for a clean install rather than the upgrade option. Unfortunately, this means formatting the main partition. It seems like most have had good luck getting the drivers and Archos s/w working fine, but some have had problems with the touchscreen drivers. Anytime upgrade seems like a safer option but will cost you some of your respective currency. If you go with a clean install, make sure you have all your drivers and s/w loaded to your USB drive along with your OS. I can't speak from experience (I don't have my A9 yet), but you'll likely need a hub to plug in a USB mouse and keyboard to make the process go smoother for you (at least until you get the touchscreen driver installed). Boysie123 can give you more insight, he (or she, maybe) has done a couple different installs that I know of.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:39 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I just installed Home Basic on my Archos 9. Clean install..

The only drivers I've installed are the video, sound and touch.

All works fine. Wifi, touch, the win7 keyboard is a little nicer than the touch one.

Can't make a shortcut to the keyboard with the Archos Keyboard Button, but just placed shortcut in the taskbar. Works nice. The Hot Virtual Keyboard seems a little nicer, but don't have it installed right now.

Removed the D drive, and maked my on own backup with Acronis Backup, so now my C drive has some more space....:)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:57 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

tureby wrote:
I just installed Home Basic on my Archos 9. Clean install..

The only drivers I've installed are the video, sound and touch.

All works fine. Wifi, touch, the win7 keyboard is a little nicer than the touch one.

Can't make a shortcut to the keyboard with the Archos Keyboard Button, but just placed shortcut in the taskbar. Works nice. The Hot Virtual Keyboard seems a little nicer, but don't have it installed right now.

Removed the D drive, and maked my on own backup with Acronis Backup, so now my C drive has some more space....:)

Regarding the back up. can you not just create a restore point in windows 7 once you've done a fresh install so if you have any problems you can go back to that date and time? rather than using something like Acronis?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:50 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Does upgrading from Win7 starter to one of the better versions actually require installing bits from a external CD or other device? I've read in a magazine that all Windows 7 versions include all necessary code on the HDD, entering the upgrade windows key will enable it. All versions of Win7 should be more or less the same size on disk.

Nb it could be that this is only valid for the non Win7 starter versions.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:47 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

lintweaker wrote:
Does upgrading from Win7 starter to one of the better versions actually require installing bits from a external CD or other device? I've read in a magazine that all Windows 7 versions include all necessary code on the HDD, entering the upgrade windows key will enable it. All versions of Win7 should be more or less the same size on disk.

Nb it could be that this is only valid for the non Win7 starter versions.

yes you can enable via Windows Anytime that is included in the software for a price of minimum £60.00 but some people already have copies and don't want to pay again so look for other ways of doing the install.