Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:20 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Cnet video-review
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:09 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Check it out: http://archosfans.com/2010/02/12/cnet-b ... and-intel/

Post subject: Re: Cnet video-review
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:10 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Not surprising. The reviewer got a sample to review, and no doubt without buying it. I believe there is a new FCC out there that states they have to reveal if bought or not. What didn't happen is any research before the purchase as to what it's specs were which would have told him everything to expect from the device. He expected it to perform like it had a better processor, faster hard drive, and so on. As far as I know you can't buy the device he expected it to be. You have to update the 9 to make it that. No reviewer is going to spend the money to do that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:20 am 
Archos User
Archos User

he is just too anoying to watch :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:30 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Why did his A9 look different to mine? His had a different screen surround, it looked like it was brushed metal, in fact he mentions that the A9 has a brushed metal body. My A9 is all plastic, what was he given to review?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:46 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have brushed metal model with me. Bought it from Amazon. I have a different model charger too. Its just one piece charger unlike 2 piece i saw on unboxing videos. I have no battery issues like others in the forums either!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:01 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

First thing I do with any tablet is increase the size of the UI elements using standard Windows WYSIWYG feature. With the close box, scroll bar, menu items task bar icons etc. all increased to a finger friendly size for my large finger, I find the Archos 9 easy to use via touchscreen. When booting, I also keep the smaller standard Windows keyboard available so I have my choice of the standard smaller keyboard with extra keys, or the large Archos keyboard.

I constantly hear about how hard it is to navigate with tablets particularly if flick scrolling is not available or slow. I suspect most reviewers forgot about the standard scroll bar navigation techniques that have been standard in many versions of Windows for years, heck they are standard in Pocket IE on my WM devices as well. If you quickly tap once in the scroll bar (which is much wider for your finger after you increase the size) below the thumb (aka scroll box, slider), the page advances one page down same as hitting a page down key on a physical keyboard. As expected, if you tap the scroll bar once above the thumb, you advance one page up. If you press and hold the scroll bar just below the upper arrow, you will quickly advance to the top of the page. If you press and hold your finger in the scroll bar just above the down arrow, you will quickly go to the bottom of the page. On a desktop, the same navigation techniques work with a mouse as well. These standard navigation techniques work in just about all applications, not just the browser.

Unfortunately, many tech reviewers are enamored with Apple, and Apple's way of doing things. When reviewing a non-Apple product, they usually dislike the different user interface, and do not take the time to discover just how good, and powerful the device is. This reviewer did not mention the included WYSIWYG feature for easily increasing UI elements, and obviously forgot about standard scroll bar navigation because he mentioned you had to constantly scroll to move the page rather than one quick tap to advance a full page down. I much prefer standard scroll bar navigation vs. flick scrolling, it is easier, more accurate, and takes less effort to scroll down, but of course, it probably will not impress the coffee shop crowd. :)

I do wish all tablets had a physical, or virtual page down key, but absent that, standard scroll bar navigation is a nice alternative when a dedicated page down button is not available. It would be nice if the Archos 9's memory could be upgraded to 2GB+, and the processor was faster, but as an earlier poster indicated, you see the specs before you buy. A Hulu power user is usually not going to buy a netbook processor. Maybe that will change when flash GPU acceleration is a reality, but not know.

I also wish the tech reviewers would stop salivating over everything Apple, and take the proper time to learn the features of the device they are reviewing, and how powerful / useful the device can be for users. In many cases they use Apple products personally so they know every in and out of the interface from their daily use. The UI on other devices seems strange to them because they use the Apple UI daily.