Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun May 24, 2020 10:18 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:27 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi again guys,
It seems everytime i turn my Archos 9 on it has a diffrent issue, this morning i used it and it was in perfect working order. i shut it down safely, went to school, came back, booted it up and hello everythings changed.
Its no has the nice windows 7 look to it but instead it has the classic theme on which is ugly as ****. On top of that i no longer have any internet on it. The little icon in the task bar has dissappered and i dont know what to do.
Also i tried to do a system restore but that came up with a faliure because some "Volume Shadow Copy Service component encounterd an unexpected error.."
What do i do? im on the verge of sending it back for a new on because im just sick or having to spend hours every night trying to sort something out!
Thanks for your help this forum has been a great help to me so far.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:36 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Do you have wifi at home and did you activate your copy of Windows yet?
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/Glossary.aspx?displaylang=en&sGuid=a942cb6d-6985-432e-b736-4fef0c3d47b9&alphabetID=b

Quote:
When Windows® running on a PC is not activated or is non-genuine, a persistent desktop notification will be shown on top of a black desktop background. The persistent desktop notification appears in the lower portion of the desktop and cannot be hidden with other items from the desktop. The plain black desktop can be changed to any wallpaper or to another solid background color, but it will be reset to black every 60 minutes by Windows.

Under Control Panel>System on the bottom of the window there is Windows activation status. If Windows isn't activated yet, that may be your problem.

If wifi isn't working, it's possible it has been turned off.
Press the Archos key and the top mouse key at the same time to turn it back on.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yes i have activated it
Yes i tryed the 'A' button and on but no luck. but as i say. something has happend to send a lot of things wrong so i dont think thats the issue :(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:58 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Were you successful in upgrading Windows, or are you still running Windows 7 starter?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:01 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Windows starter.
and one thing, i was going to do a windows ultimate clean install with it beofre and with the advanced recovery option it says you can do that and sort of 'start again' would that erase all the data and acctually start afresh? just install the drivers after?
thanks again

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:07 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Sort of. I am not sure I understand you.
You have access to a copy of Windows Ultimate for a fresh install?

You can back up all the software on the Archos by copying the two folders:
C:\ARCHOS Softwares
C:\DRIVERS Win7 A9 (though you probably already downloaded the latest drivers from Archos.com, right? :) )

Then you can wipe the drive completely and do a new install using your copy of Windows.
Then reinstall the drivers, and everything should work...

You will not be able to 'restore' the system back to original factory state. That is why there are threads on this forum for ppl looking for factory images...

I would keep a USB hub, a USB mouse, and a USB keyboard handy along with your USB disk drive just in case...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thank you :)
how to i wipe the drive compleatly?
also you say people are asking for images... are they avaidable?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:24 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

When you boot from the installation disk for Windows, there should be an option for disk management or something like that. You can remove and then reinstall the partition and format it from there.
As a reminder. Once you do this, you can't go back, so make sure you understand what you are doing first.

Some other Archos owners were smart enough to image their pre-modified hard drive for back up. They are around, but you'll need to search for them. It's not necessary to have, but some have been asking for it recently because they are selling their Archos9 [-X

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

the image version sounds a little easier to me, is that easy to do? sorry im asking all thes questions, but as you said, i need to make sure what im doing first.. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

When you first started using your Archos9, did you make a system image as it told you to?
It should still be there.

If you haven't made any modifications to your computer yet,
You should be able to press the Keyboard key when the computer is booting to access the HP System Restore program. From there, you can load all your default settings.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:07 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

you can also use a program like acronis true image to completely backup the whole hd.

though it isnt freeware, you normally get a copy of a backup programm with the usb harddrives, as you buy them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:32 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Comodo Backup is an excellent free backup software: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=43012