Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon May 25, 2020 12:39 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:09 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi
I am about to take the jump and rebuild my A9 door stop into a w7 tablet pc.
Can someone put up a you tube video of the new system so that i can see what it enables.

I bought this pc for my wife to use for work. she is used to her iphone and i was disapointed that it
was not a similar experience. I am particularly interested in giving her the ability to move up and down
a web page with her figer anywhere on the page instead of the scroll bar. Flicking would also be nice.
Pinch and zoom would be great but i am not pushing my luck!!!

I also read about an interface, blue dolphine that makes it easier to use. Any exisint or new youtube videos
showing this stuff would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:12 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Britboy,

Upgrade to Win7 prof/ultimate. Install the new drivers from Archos's site for Archos9 and that should give you better performance. Please don't expect iPhone experience with Archos9.
Good luck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:31 am 
Archos User
Archos User

@britboy. Two things I may suggest you:
1. To scroll up/down the webpage using finger:
You don't need to do anything, just download firefox 3.6, after finished installing, go to Tool -> Add-ons->Get Add-ons -> Bowse all add-ons. The firefox's add-ons page will be opened in the browser. Then, in the search box. Type in "grab and drag" then search. The page will lead you to the "Grab and Drag" add-on section. Follow the site's instruction to install that add-on to firefox. After you restart firefox, you need to do some little more settings. There are two important settings you need to do: a/ in the bahavior/grabbing option, choose "anywhere on the screen", in the text toggle option, choose 3 and 1. You can change other setting to make you "feel" the site better. After this step, you can see 90% the A9 can do with website like the iphone. Except you must use your nail to touch (after you get familiar with the A9 you can do without nail). IF you wanna zoom in/out you have to use the zoom function in the toolbar (or if you have a mouse, keep CTRL button and scroll the wheel, lol).
2. Currently, The advance touch driver can help you enable Win7 hidden functions for tablet. However, I can see only 2 significant improvement: a/the hand writing function was improved significantly. b/The other improvement is the "panning hand" that help you scroll in IE8 and MS office using finger. other than that, it almost the same as the normal touch driver. So, in your case, the advance touch driver can help you to scroll by finger with that panning hand function.
besides, I believe A9 is a much better device compare to the ipad, however, the company's software support is extremely sucks and hence many people are suffering the A9 instead of enjoying it like I do. Go though this forum, you will know better how to make the A9 become a joyful device to be with.
regards

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:03 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

grab and drag - brilliant!!! thats just what i wantedd, i love firefox and this has just made my day - you are a star hallua!!!! =D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi
I think i did all the upgrades and just want to be sure that i have enabled everything as i am still a little confused. From what i can see the tough functionality
is still pretty much a similation of a mouse - i cant flick , pich zoom - should that be correct? If thats the case it actually seems to be no different to the tablet
pc i have that runs xp. What differences should there be?

I put blue dolphin on it which is a pretty suitable interface. I put drab and drop on it for firefox which does help, but seems to work so unreliably that i am better off i think with the large scroll bar i have.

Am i missing anything with the touch functionality, or is it basically the same as xp on this machine?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:07 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I also took grab and drag off of FireFox, also, ritePen worked unreliably too so I uninstalled that! I was getting annoyed because I when I started to write, ritePen wouldn't recognize that I was writing until I started my second letter of the word I was writing, so, writing something like 'Google', came out as "oogle". Also, ritePen wouldn't recognize that I wanted to use my scroll bar instead of writing the letter "I"!!!

The Archos 9 uses a single point touch display, meaning that pinching will not work, because it cannot track more than one single point on the screen.

Also, FireFox I find even in its latest version is still too heavy, I am using K-Meleon, based on Firefox but has a lot more features that suits my needs, like context menu include FullScreen :D It's also a lot more lighter, lighter on the memory and so far, no memory leaks. You can even ad "AdBlockPlus" to it to make browsing even more enjoyable.

I'm not even using my USB ReadyBoost anymore, but my system seems to fun fine without it :D, for some reason when I formatted my MicroSD card, the new HP Class 4 which was working with USB ReadyBoost, Windows would not allow me to use it again with ReadyBoost saying that the device did not meet the minimum requirements for ReadyBoost. Completely weird, tried everything but never mind.

All the best

Maggie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:35 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

@maggie: one thing i can tell you. It's easy to know at the beginning that ritePen and Grab&Drag in firefox both track the mouse input. So, it's understandable that they can get conflict each other. That's why both have the enable/disable toggle option. (The open hand icon appears on the firefox toolbar for G&D and the pen icon in ritePen). So If you wanna do ritePen, you should disable G&D and vise versa.
good luck buddy.
@britboy: I believe GOOD SETTINGS for G&D will show you a totally different face of the G&D plugin. Till then, it's a TRUE joy hanging around the website. One tip for you: disable the "smooth scrolling" option in both firefox and plug-in, maximize the "responsive" thing in the plugin.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:42 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

hallua wrote:
@maggie: one thing i can tell you. It's easy to know at the beginning that ritePen and Grab&Drag in firefox both track the mouse input. So, it's understandable that they can get conflict each other. That's why the G&D had the enable/disable toggle option. (The open hand icon appears on the firefox toolbar). So If you wanna do ritePen, you should disable G&D and vise versa.
good luck buddy.
@britboy: I believe GOOD SETTINGS for G&D will show you a totally different face of the G&D plugin. Till then, it's a TRUE joy hanging around the website. One tip for you: disable the "smooth scrolling" option in both firefox and plug-in, maximize the "responsive" thing in the plugin.

thanks hallua, but riteppen and grab and drag were installed on different occasions. are ppl using ritepen having success???

Maggie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:49 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

@maggie, I have been using them both. No problems. Never let them both be ENABLED AT THE SAME TIME then It's good to go.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:10 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I've got mine up and running Win 7 Pro and so far I'm pretty happy. At first I turned off the aero theme to save resource but I find I really miss peak so I turned it back on. As long as I'm not trying to do a lot of multitasking it seems to run fine.

I did not use the anytime upgrade since I already had several extra Win 7 Pro licenses so I created the bootable USB drive to install from. The one problem I had was, once the install started, when it got to the point of rebooting, it would start the process all over again because it was booting off the USB drive again. I have be paying attention when it rebooted and pull the USB drive before it booted up again. Other than that it went flawlessly. And it didn't take hours as some people have mentioned. I thought it was really decently quick for this hardware.

My one question at this point concerns the windows onscreen keyboard. It appears from what some people are saying that there should be a tab or something on the left and the keyboard should pop out automatically when I tap in a text field. Am I misunderstanding what's been said or am I missing a setting? I have to manually open and close the keyboard. Also, it always pops right into the middle of the screen. Is there a way to make it open at the bottom instead?

I have to say this thread and all the great information it has provided has just been awesome! I am so much happier with my A9 now than I was when I first got it.

Ron

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:14 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Okay, I figured out the keyboard issue. I missed a setting in the options to "show the tab even when the pen is out of range." That gave me the tab and allowed me to place the tab low on the left side of the screen so the keyboard pops out at the bottom. It still does not pop out automatically when I'm in a text field but that's pretty minor.

I'm not really getting flicking to work though. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I can't get it to work with my finger or a stylus even though it is enabled.

Ron

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:39 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Just had my first freeze up. So I'm uninstalling the earlier beta touch driver and installing the later one. Someone mentioned also installing the TouchIt driver but that appears to only be needed using the Archos keyboard. Since I'm using the Windows keyboard I assume I don't need the TouchIt driver.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:13 am 
Archos User
Archos User

You can't do anything with your first problem. It's the advance touch driver's problem. For the second problem, you open the onscreen keyboard. Then go to Tool -> Docking -> Dock on bottom of screen. Also, if you wanna change the keyboard size, you must choose "Floating" instead of "Docking on bottom" then change the size, then dock it again.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:12 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Does anyone have the original driver (Win7_5.7.0.7301_091130) that I can download? I contacted Archos, and they would rather issue an RMA than give out any other drivers than what is listed on their website. I upgraded to Win 7 Home Premium, w/o backing up the prior drivers.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

:doubt: For the life of me I cannot get the touch / pen function to be recognized by Win7 properly. I had the Starter version, upgraded to Ultimate, installed the newer video and HID(eous) beta driver new logo, still Win7 says in computer properties "no touch / pen installed" although the digitizer works fine.

I tried to reinstall/uninstall the original Win7 Archos driver, no effects.

I also downgraded the BIOS to get hibernation back (that worked).

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:27 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Never mind, got it. After uninstalling a few times the 09 beta and reinstalling the beta from the Archos site instead, it works well now and windows sees it properly as a pen input device.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:45 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The only thing that does not work is the automatic appearance of the keyboard when having a text field active (as in typing an URL in Firefox), need to start the on screen keyboard manually.

Is that even supported or does it need a magneto resistive screen vs a resistive screen only as the Archos 9 is ? On my OQO 02 this feature works, but it has a magneto resistive screen....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:40 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

You guys all got me so excited to install Firefox and the grab add-on. Huge waste of time... Opera has that functionality built in and is less of a resource hog. It doesn't have "inertia", but it does the job well nonetheless.
1. Download opera browser,
2. Browse to opera:config
3. Search and enable "scroll is pan" and restart Opera

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:31 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hey guys,

I am wondering if someone could either help me directly in this thread, or message me about the problem I've been having with using the Anytime Upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium. I have tried several times to do it, and it reverts at 38%.

Here's my story:
I tried it first without doing anything, and it of course reverted.

Then I downloaded and installed all the drivers except the Beta touch screen drivers, from the archos website. I think they went successfully, but I'm not sure cuz I'm not an expert with computers. The drivers I believe I put in were the BIOS update A9 Flash, the vid driver, the port replicator, the touchit, the touch_screen_all in one XP vista driver, and the broadcam wifi driver. This was all done with Microsoft Security Essentials enabled and running. It revert when I tried again to upgrade.

So I uninstalled Microsoft Security Essentials at the recommendation from some forums, and installed the drivers again. I also did a windows update afterward, this time. I tried the anytime upgrade again, but it failed again.

I just recently tried the anytime upgrade having disabled the starcoft and Microsoft security essentials, as well as any superfluous programs, from the startup in msconfig on my system. It failed again.

If someone could help me get my anytime upgrade working I'd appreciate it. I am no wiz at this, and having to create a bootable disc would cause me to have to get my money back for the anytime upgrade I bought, only to then have to buy a more expensive version of the same thing, something I would rather not do. Plus the bootable drive stuff makes me feel like I'll probably mess up something. Thanks in advance.

AKO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:42 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

ako337 wrote:
hey guys,

I am wondering if someone could either help me directly in this thread, or message me about the problem I've been having with using the Anytime Upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium. I have tried several times to do it, and it reverts at 38%.

Here's my story:
I tried it first without doing anything, and it of course reverted.

Then I downloaded and installed all the drivers except the Beta touch screen drivers, from the archos website. I think they went successfully, but I'm not sure cuz I'm not an expert with computers. The drivers I believe I put in were the BIOS update A9 Flash, the vid driver, the port replicator, the touchit, the touch_screen_all in one XP vista driver, and the broadcam wifi driver. This was all done with Microsoft Security Essentials enabled and running. It revert when I tried again to upgrade.

So I uninstalled Microsoft Security Essentials at the recommendation from some forums, and installed the drivers again. I also did a windows update afterward, this time. I tried the anytime upgrade again, but it failed again.

I just recently tried the anytime upgrade having disabled the starcoft and Microsoft security essentials, as well as any superfluous programs, from the startup in msconfig on my system. It failed again.

If someone could help me get my anytime upgrade working I'd appreciate it. I am no wiz at this, and having to create a bootable disc would cause me to have to get my money back for the anytime upgrade I bought, only to then have to buy a more expensive version of the same thing, something I would rather not do. Plus the bootable drive stuff makes me feel like I'll probably mess up something. Thanks in advance.

AKO

Hey,

Try to remove ''Security Center'' that solved the problem on my A9 when upgrading to HP

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next