Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon May 25, 2020 12:13 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:51 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

My Archos 9 was not working properly with a new install of Windows 7 Ultimate, tablet features were not working until I installed the latest Intel Atom 500 Graphics driver. Installing the HID_Digitizer_x86_PS2_090918_Beta-NewLogo is not going to be enough if anyone runs into the same problem.

I'm using Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 500 Driver Revision: 5.2.1.2020 and HID_Digitizer_x86_PS2_090918_Beta-NewLogo.zip and everything is working fine and Windows reports a Single Touch Input Available now in System Properties, Pen & Touch.

Best of luck to anyone else out there who might come across the same problem.

I'm going to look into this ReadyBoost feature now to see if I can speed things up on the Tablet although so far I've not suffered any freezes.

Maggie!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:22 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

ave wrote:
. IÔÇÖm mostly using it around the house to surf the internet and watch videos. One thing I hated about surfing the internet is I have to keep scrolling down with my finger on the right side to go down the page a little. I am so use of my iPhone, flicking down the page. I have been searching for the last couple of days on the internet on how to utilize the multi-touch support for Windows 7 but have failed. I finally figured it out.

Every version of Windows I can remember has a WYSIWYG screen properties setting which allows you to increase the size of all UI elements to a size comfortable for your finger size. I have used XP, Vista, and Win 7 tablets / convertibles (including the Archos 9), and in all cases, I was able to increase the size of the UI elements (close box, scroll bar, menu items, task bar items, etc.) to a finger-friendly, easy to use, size for my large fingers. In most cases, the bigger elements are used by third party apps as well. I can understand why the vendors do not increase the UI elements sizes before delivery because some may desire to use a stylus, and / or users' fingers are different sizes with a different amounts of enlarging required. It would be nice if the vendors included the fact that the UI elements can be easily enlarged to a size comfortable for the users' finger sizes along with instruction on how to perform this built-in easy task.

With the larger size scroll bar, finger-friendly scrolling is easy using standard scroll bar navigation techniques. I am not a fan of flick scrolling, I find it inaccurate, smudges the screen, and not very efficient. I realize many like the flick scrolling - I respect that, just not for me. I prefer standard scroll bar navigation using a quick finger or thumb tap on the increased width scroll bar underneath the slider (aka scroll box) to page down, or a quick finger tap on the scroll bar above the slider for a page up. I find it is much more accurate, and efficient than the flick scrolling. It is nice that the tap above / below the slider, and WYSIWYG screen adjustments are standard Windows features, and not $ 3rd party applications.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:22 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Quote:
Every version of Windows I can remember has a WYSIWYG screen properties setting which allows you to increase the size of all UI elements to a size comfortable for your finger size.

That's great. Could you list the sequence of how to get to those settings? I've looked through every display setting, tablet setting, accessibility setting, etc., and can't find any WYSIWYG settings. At best I found an option to increase icon sizes to 125% of original. Windows 7 knows what your screen resolution is, and limits the options available to what it thinks is reasonable for that screen size. On my desktop I get an additional 150% option.

Last edited by 4DThinker on Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:54 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks to this board, I've managed to make the A9 alot more touch friendly by making the size increases dicussed.

For Windows 7, right click on the desktop and choose "Personalise".

Set your theme to "Windows Basic" (reccomended for this unit as it disables Aero effects).

Click on "Window Color" at the bottom to be presented with the old-style options.

I've changed my scroll bar, caption buttons and menu to size 30 and increased a few font sizes to 11.

Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:02 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Dear community,
I've followed the thread so far and was instantly able to get the Touch screen running on Windows 7 Pro.
Only problem I had, that the device would freeze from time to time.
I hope, that this will be fixed with the newly available driver update:

ftp://support.archos.com/Archos%209/Dri ... 5_Beta.zip

This driver is out since today and I'm installing it right now.
Will let you all know about the outcome.

Thanks
Baby11er

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Just wanted to let you know that i installed the HIDeGalaxy beta drives ONLY, no Archos 9 display drivers, restarted, calibrated and everything worked fine... I don't think it's necessary to install and immediately uninstall the Archos 9 eGalaxy drivers from the ftp server?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:13 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

OK, here my first impression on the new beta driver:
the installation at the beginning did not let me calibrate my screen correctly. so I just uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it again. now everything is working fine and I have calibrated my screen with the windows calibration tool.
For now, I have not yet had a hanging/freezing screen. Hope, that this stays permanent.

@Ares: I didn't uninstall galaxy tool, as this also would have uninstalled the drivers. the display driver is originally a Intel GMA 500 driver, which best is to get from Intel. But the Windows built in works just fine for me as well.

Thanks all.
Baby11er

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:25 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Sorry, what I meant was: I didn't use the original Archos 9 touchscreen drivers (installing and immediately uninstalling it as ave suggested in his guide), just the HIDeGalaxy beta drivers which ave linked to. After calibrating, everything then worked fine... I did install the Intel graphics driver, you're right.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:08 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

:D New drivers are workin great for me. haven't had any freezes since installing. scrolling is a bit smoother too

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:37 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Good morning,

as far as I can tell you until now, I also didn't have any more freezes. And as, Kelly already mentioned, it seems to be a little smoother.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:43 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I've installed the new TouchIt driver and HID_ Digitizer driver, but now the tablet panel input icon doesn't automatically come up next to the textbox anymore when I tap into it and there is an annoying "ding" sound every time I write a word. Also the tab for the panel isn't showing at the side of the screen.
On the plus side however the system hasn't frozen yet.
Has anyone else had similar problems?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:56 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm confused about one thing. It seems that the only people who are not having to reinstall drivers are those who use the Anytime Upgrade. Is there some reason you can't do an upgrade from a retail disk rather than doing a full new install? It seems to me that would accomplish the same thing. I already have an extra Win 7 Pro license I can use so I don't need or want to purchase an Anytime Upgrade but I'd also like to avoid having to reinstall drivers.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:21 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi goodwine,

the problem in this case is, that only some drivers are included in the OS. imagine how often MS would have to push an update to the DVD sources, if they would like to have all uptodate drivers on the media. secondly, the media wouldn't anymore fit on a DVD.
as the drivers are not included and because we here use some BETA drivers, those drivers are not available through MS update functionality. Another thing to mention is, that MS is never publishing the latest drivers from the vendor. often those latest contain bugfixes and improvements. therefore my recommendation is to use latest drivers from manufacturer.
back to your topic: why do people not need to install drivers, when they use Anytime upgrade. well, AU puts another serial to the OS and secondly applies all the new features. so the OS stays the same, gets more functionalities and also the drivers are kept. But still they will not instantly be able to use Windows Touch interface, whcih I really like more than the generic keyboard. this can only be achieved by installing that BETA touch driver.

hope this explanation helps you.
baby11er

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:26 am 
Archos User
Archos User

thanks for the post.mine works great with some minor flaws.no freezes,no complains. i believe mine would become perfect with a final version of the driver. so happy with my A9. no complains so far.guys who disappointed with it are ones who don't know how to use their brains.bravo Archos!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:42 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

a little harsh but as always both side have their points. :)

Archos could as alweays do a better job on the software front.

People could stop expecting the world for little or nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:34 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I followed all the instructions and almost everything is working fine and not hanging.
One question, are the mouse buttons (on the left) supposed to be disabled
or have I missed a setting somewhere?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:29 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

pscap wrote:
I followed all the instructions and almost everything is working fine and not hanging.
One question, are the mouse buttons (on the left) supposed to be disabled
or have I missed a setting somewhere?

I don'think they should be disabled. Mine work fine without having to enable them...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:08 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Have you fiddled with the bios settings?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:12 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I didn't do anything with the bios.
Mysteriously after 3 more restarts and sitting overnight after I gave up, the mouse buttons work today (at least until I restart it again).
I didn't do anything to any settings before I shut it down last night.

I'll watch to see if it's a problem that comes and goes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:47 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

My Archos works great with new drivers. No hanging when using snipping tool. My Mindjet MindManager is working gr8 without hanging. Hand recognition seems work smooth now. I am not using ReadyBoost feature any more. :D :D

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next