Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun May 24, 2020 10:06 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:06 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I received my archos 9 a couple of days ago in the US. I have been fed up with the Video performance and am still waiting for a miracle with updated drivers to solve this. I like the looks of the Archos 9 but just can't figure out how they released it with such low performance. IÔÇÖm mostly using it around the house to surf the internet and watch videos. One thing I hated about surfing the internet is I have to keep scrolling down with my finger on the right side to go down the page a little. I am so use of my iPhone, flicking down the page. I have been searching for the last couple of days on the internet on how to utilize the multi-touch support for Windows 7 but have failed. I finally figured it out with Trial and Error. It worked for me so hopefully it will work for you. It's nice to flick your finger down to scroll down. When you click on a text box the keyboard pops up as well. It's not perfect but it does work. I haven't really played with all the options as I wanted to write this so other people can do this as I know how some people feel with the frustration of the Archos 9. Just follow the instructions below.

1. Backup your drive with Acronis. I used an 8 GB Thumb drive. If you have a problem you can restore the drive image. Also backup a folder in the C:/ drive that lists the Win7 Drivers.
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/do ... 0_d_en.exe

2. You need to get a copy of the Microsoft utility that will make Windows 7 bootable.
http://images2.store.microsoft.com/prod ... D-tool.exe

3. You need to get Windows 7 Professional on a USB bootable drive. 1st you need to download Windows 7. You can download it legally if you have or buy a license. I take no responsibility for not purchasing it, which you should do. Once you download it save it and use the above Microsoft utility.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/11/1 ... e-premium/

4. You will need to get a USB Hub for the Thumb drive and USB Keyboard. Go into the bios and make sure you select the write boot order for USB Drives. Exit and Windows should load.

5. After it installs you should download the latest Intel Video Drivers and install it.
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ ... 7&lang=eng

6. Install the Wi-Fi, Touch Keyboard and sound drivers from the earlier Win7 Folder with the drivers.

7. Next you want to install the Beta Touch Driver. It is supposed to be for the X70 tablet but it is essentially the same hardware. After it is done reboot. It probably wonÔÇÖt work yet. Next install the Archos Touch Driver from the Win7 Folder. Make sure it is not the XP version or the Win7_5.6.0.6806 version. It should be version Win7_5.7.0.7301_091130. After your done installing it immediately un-install it. (I know it sounds crazy, but I think it loads the right files for it to work) Now reboot it. The touch screen should work a little bit but not fully. You may have to use the built in optical mouse to complete it. Now click on the HIDeGalaxy icon on the desktop. There should be 3 different calibrations. Start with the 4 points one and then do the other 2 for accuracy. DonÔÇÖt click on the 4 points calibration with your finger but with the mouse. After the 1st one it should be calibrated. You should now see under an icon in the taskbar for setting up flicks.
http://www.ultramobilepc-tips.com/binfi ... ewLogo.zip

This is definitely good news and makes the Archos 9 more of a real tablet. IÔÇÖm hoping archos will release their own drivers soon that will make it better. Hopefully they do something about the video. It is unwatchable and embarrassing to them. I canÔÇÖt watch low quality video as it is 1fps. Enjoy and let me know if you have any other questions.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage that you are attempting to do. Try at your own risk.

Last edited by ave on Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:14 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The more I play with it the more awesome it is. Here are some Screenshots of the different setting menus.

http://6ivmpw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p ... 0KPR/1.jpg

http://6ivmpw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p ... _PbW/2.jpg

http://6ivmpw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p ... y_Jl/3.jpg

http://6ivmpw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p ... p874/4.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:26 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

A couple more tips for it work right.

Control Panel - Pen and Touch - Flicks - Sensitivity: The settings for both should be the 2nd bar from the left. This will make flicking easier on websites. It was in th e
middle but it wasn't working correctly. Now it works very good.

Control Panel - Display: click on Calibrate for addedd accuracy. It works alot better after doing this. My Touchscreen is alot better then the original driver.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:26 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I already have Windows 7 Ultimate installed via the Anytime upgrade. How do I go about getting the multi-touch working?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'd just like to add to this - as the title is not quite correct.

As far as I understand the Archos 9 is NOT multi-touch capable - what is described above is enabling the Windows 7 advanced touch capabilities.

For me, there was no folder with "Win7 Drivers"

I updated to the latest version of the Intel Drivers (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3180&DwnldID=18527&lang=eng).

Downloaded the beta touch drivers from the UMPC Portal (third post down http://www.umpcportal.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6050&start=30).

Installed the driver, restarted, calibrated again (4, 9 and 25 by finger) with the newly installed eGalaxTouch program (Start->All Programs>HIDeGalaxTouch) and everything works perfectly.

• Windows 7 on screen keyboard loading automatically and hiding in the left until you click to bring it out.
  • Press and hold for right click
  • "Pen Flicks" to swipe up/down for scrolling up/down
  • "Pen Flicks" to swipe left/right for back/forward commands
  • Pen entry to use stylus and hand-write text for handwriting recognition

I hope this helps others get to the solution a bit quicker - without what Ave posted, I'd still be using the tablet as a glorified mouse!

Thanks Ave!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:56 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I've also taken the step to remove the TouchIt Virtual Keyboard as the new Windows Features supercedes it (in both usability and style).

On login, a "toggleable" on-screen-keyboard is available to type in your password.

Once logged in, the keyboard "floats" off-screen to the left until you tap it to bring it into view.
I've also changed the options for the Input Panel to show its icon in the taskbar for even quicker access.

They keyboard has predictive text too, saving you a bit of time - but I've turned this off as it takes a bit more processing power that I'd rather the Archos9 kept for other tasks.

I hope Archos view this forum once in a while!
Having these features enabled - and one less program running at startup - out of the box is a major improvement in a great product!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:18 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

You are correct it should be renamed as it is not a fully multi-touch screen.

If you already have upgraded just skip that part.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:56 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I can't get the HIDeGalaxTouch to work, all the option boxes are greyed out.

Also, now when I start up the A9 I get 3 run/cancel boxes with do I want to run
C:\\Windows\System32\igfxtray.exe
C:\\Windows\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\\Windows\System32\igfxExt.exe

This is really annoying, can anyone help!!

I have tried the earliest restore point before installing HIDeGalaxTouch, but still get the same problem. I am thinking of restoring the A9 to Windows Starter and re-upgrading back to Windows ultimate.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

MikeyS - those pop up boxes are from the new Intel driver - they popped up for me too.

The reason they pop up is that the files were downloaded from the internet and the Intel installer did not remove the warning from the files.

Restart and tick (or untick - I can't recall exactly) the box to remember your choice then allow them to run.

Try that first and let me know if the boxes are still grayed out in HIDeGalaxTouch.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for that, got rid of the start up boxes.
After uninstalling eGalaxTouch and HIDegalaxTouch, and then re-installing HIDegalaxTouch I managed to get it to work, but keyboard/handwriting recognition is working painfully slow and screen flicks are almost impossibleto do except on the test screen.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:43 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

sounds like you have a lot going on in the background using up valueable proc time.

check out Processmanger and deal with apps accordingly and maybe even go to the resouce monitor on the performance tab if its not obvious.

I have foudn that alot of people that have compained ot me about their net books being too slow are expecting it to be like a desktop wher eyou chuck loads of things on it and it copes ...

Arh yes you can even use the clever Win 7 performance tuner.

in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting

at the bottom is Check for perf issues.

it will advise on what is causing your system to be a bit too busy.

AV sucks up resources on the A9 and havent foudn one yet I like. So maybe a good pint is to start there.

My handwritting works wonderfully and I'm very impressed with it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:06 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Just to be clear I'm understanding this thread correctly:

Step 1 is to upgrade Windows 7 (#1-4 in original post) - does it matter which version? Is Home Premium good enough?

Step 2 is to load the newest Intel drivers.

Step 3 is to get the Touch drivers from UMPC portal

How about sound and wifi drivers? In the OP it says something about a Win7 folder, but the later post from chrismcb doesn't say what to do for these.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:29 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Home premium is good enough, thats what I'm using.

If you do an "anytime upgrade" you wont need to install any other drivers. Your current setup should have everything you need.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:29 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

My 9 arrives today. Am I correct that instead of the many steps listed above all I would have to do is the Anytime Upgrade to home premium to gain the benefits this thread is about?

Thanks
4D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:57 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Correct.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:51 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for all the help, everything seems to be working well, the handwriting recognition seems to be working better now although, it's still not as fast as I would like, but it's usable.

Really enjoying being able to use gestures on pages now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:54 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

No, not correct.

This will only give you the features that Windows 7 Starter lacks.

These features, however, are not activated as the drivers which come loaded on the Archos 9 are not compliant with the new Windows 7 pen and touch features.

You must first upgrade to Home Premium or above using the anytime upgrade then follow the steps I detail in my first post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:37 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Here is my story as it relates to this thread. I am in the U.S. After I received the Archos 9, I soon realized that it would not live up to my hopes and desires as it sat with Windows 7 Starter. I ran the Windows 7 Update Advisor, and was excited to see that this system passed all requirements for upgrading to Windows 7 Home Premium. Through the Anytime Upgrade I purchased the upgrade to W7HP (Windows 7 Home Premium). The system ran for over 2 hours and failed to install at 38% complete. Other people have had similiar issues and said that Microsoft had set limitations on the Archos 9 from upgrading. What is weird though is that people who recieved theirs a couple weeks earlier that I were able to upgrade, so not sure if it is the most recent batch or not. I called Microsoft and they of course advised me to the manufacturer and that they do not set restrictions on HW from upgrading. They refunded my money. I then decided to follow Ave's advise in this forum, and install a complete fresh copy of W7HP.

I went to the Microsoft store and purchased a full version of W7HP, downloaded the ISO. In order to get it to a bootable USB drive I needed to install Sly Softs Virtual Clone drive, and mount the W7HP file to the drive (the file showed up as a .Rar file after download). After I mounted it to the drive I needed to use WintoFlash to create the bootable USB drive. Using these two free programs made it very easy and the bootable USB drive worked just great.

I then took the leap, I set up a USB hub with a mouse and keyboard, installed the USB drive and restarted the system. It installed the new W7HP after a couple hours. I then followed Ave's tutorial for the order of installing the drivers and calibrating the screen. (Make sure to copy the Drivers Win 7 A9 folder from the C: drive of the A9 to a flash drive or another computer, so that you have them to load on the updated OS.)

I am so excited that this device can now run all the Windows 7 Touch capabilities: handwriting recognition and flicks. I also installed Microsoft Office 2007 Ultimate. So now I have OneNote to play with as well. This device is now awesome. Just with it had a solid state drive and better video capability. But for a release one device and being that I am an early adaptor, I can say I finally have the device I was hoping to have for the last three years.

If anybody has questions let me know. But Ave and chrismcb have done a great job in this thread, thank you so much.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

dhewitt59 wrote:
If anybody has questions let me know. But Ave and chrismcb have done a great job in this thread, thank you so much.

Thanks for your writeup!

Would be great to hear your impressions of various streaming sites.

The opinions now that the device are out let me know for sure that I will be happy with it as a business device with the touch features updated, but to make it the absolute "must buy" right now, I would like to know if hulu, etc are passable. Don't have to be in full screen, but normal watchable quality would be ideal. That would fit the casual around the house use for me as well.

Also your opinions on battery life once you spend some time with it.

There should probably be a User Impressions Thread started somewhere. It would hijack this thread to post all that here.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:26 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

chrismcb wrote:
No, not correct.

This will only give you the features that Windows 7 Starter lacks.

These features, however, are not activated as the drivers which come loaded on the Archos 9 are not compliant with the new Windows 7 pen and touch features.

You must first upgrade to Home Premium or above using the anytime upgrade then follow the steps I detail in my first post.

Sorry to be anal but I'm probably going to be working on this tonight. If the Anytime Upgrade is successful, do we still start at Step 1 of your original post or Step 5?

Also as an aside, if the Anytime Upgrade fails as dhewitt59 found, is it possible to install from scratch with an external DVD drive or do you have to go the USB route?