Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:34 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Windows 7 upgrade
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:14 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Hello, brand new to the forum as of 5 minsutes ago... I'm in the US and have an itch to buy an archos 9. I love the idea but all the reviews I have read indicate that it is a little slow. Reading your project, sounds like you cleared some of those issues up. I have yet to see any topics for RAM upgrades so I'm just throghing that out there but if you know of any attempts or the thread to find it would be awesome! Other than that, sounds like upgrading to a SSD and Windows 7 premium is working pretty well. Any youtube videos of your progress?

scook84 wrote:
I ordered the following: RunCore 128GB Pro IV 1.8" 5mm PATA Zif Solid State Drive SSD Weight : 1.00 | Part #:RCP-IV-Z1828-C. Total cost was approximately $430.00 USD, which includes expedited shipping costs.

I will let you know what happens. I still have some questions on how to remove the cover on the Archos 9. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Thanks,

Susan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:11 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Welcome. I believe you will find this forum invaluable in making your decision regarding purchasing an Archo 9. I did replace the Archos supplied HD with a RunCore 128GB hard drive. The system is running faster than previously.

Using this forum as a guide, I have improved the performance of the video, touch screen and am even able to use the advanced features of Windows 7 enhanced touch screen features.

This is NOT to say that the Archos 9 doesn't have limitations. It does. While video on the hard drive play with no problems, playing You Tube videos does appear choppy at times. It is important to remember that the Archos 9 is, in essence, a netbook computer and its performance is in keeping with that of other netbooks.

Having said that, I still prefer and recommend the Archos 9. It's design and features are a good starting point. I will take an Archos 9 over an iPad any day. I am not Apple adverse. I have two Apple computers along with an iPod and iPhone. I just think that the Archos 9 is still a better buy due to the benefits of having a "REAL" OS. I consider the iPad to be bulky, limited and more of a "come on" for Apple's APP store and iTunes. My 2 cents..

Sorry, no video. I do not have a video camera. I did take pictures, though. I just don't know how to load them on this forum.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:24 am 
Archos User
Archos User

any word on getting 2gb of RAM or swapping processors?

scook84 wrote:
Welcome. I believe you will find this forum invaluable in making your decision regarding purchasing an Archo 9. I did replace the Archos supplied HD with a RunCore 128GB hard drive. The system is running faster than previously.

Using this forum as a guide, I have improved the performance of the video, touch screen and am even able to use the advanced features of Windows 7 enhanced touch screen features.

This is NOT to say that the Archos 9 doesn't have limitations. It does. While video on the hard drive play with no problems, playing You Tube videos does appear choppy at times. It is important to remember that the Archos 9 is, in essence, a netbook computer and its performance is in keeping with that of other netbooks.

Having said that, I still prefer and recommend the Archos 9. It's design and features are a good starting point. I will take an Archos 9 over an iPad any day. I am not Apple adverse. I have two Apple computers along with an iPod and iPhone. I just think that the Archos 9 is still a better buy due to the benefits of having a "REAL" OS. I consider the iPad to be bulky, limited and more of a "come on" for Apple's APP store and iTunes. My 2 cents..

Sorry, no video. I do not have a video camera. I did take pictures, though. I just don't know how to load them on this forum.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:42 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I've not heard of anyone increasing the RAM or CPU.

Sorry.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:38 am 
Archos User
Archos User

so does it do the job? Surfing, facebook, twitter, email, music, videos out of the box? People say that it's just too slow...

scook84 wrote:
I've not heard of anyone increasing the RAM or CPU.

Sorry.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:10 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

It is a bit slow. Archos would have done better had they offered units with SSD drives.

However, it does have potential. Replace the drive, upgrade the OS, tweak it a bit and you've got a pretty good system that will do fine.

I was at an Apple store earlier this month and I was using my Archos 9 to surf the internet, check email, and watch a video. I used a Verizon MiFi wireless router placed in my purse to gain access to the Internet.

I had a small crowd from time to time watching what I was doing. Some of the Apple techs asked what I was using and I told them it was the Archos 9. Everyone who saw it in action was impressed with its performance. I am using it more and more as I gain proficiency in typing and/or using the writing capabilities.

I am happy with what I have: A portable system sans keyboard that will allow me to work and stay connected to the world and fit easily inside my bag. If I need more power, I already have a notebook that I can use.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:28 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I use chrome as my web browser, one note to take note (use pen to take notes), use window media to watch video I take with my camera, Zinio to read magazines. The machine is running better after I upgrade the Bios and video driver. I also use a 8G micro SD as a ready boot and it seems to run better than without. This is after all a net book so I am not expecting it to be able to do as much as my Mac Book Proor other pc notebooks. To be honest I am about 80% happy with my A9.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:20 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

thanks for the info :)

baldurs_sc wrote:
I use chrome as my web browser, one note to take note (use pen to take notes), use window media to watch video I take with my camera, Zinio to read magazines. The machine is running better after I upgrade the Bios and video driver. I also use a 8G micro SD as a ready boot and it seems to run better than without. This is after all a net book so I am not expecting it to be able to do as much as my Mac Book Proor other pc notebooks. To be honest I am about 80% happy with my A9.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:23 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

how hard was it to swap out to a SSD?

scook84 wrote:
It is a bit slow. Archos would have done better had they offered units with SSD drives.

However, it does have potential. Replace the drive, upgrade the OS, tweak it a bit and you've got a pretty good system that will do fine.

I was at an Apple store earlier this month and I was using my Archos 9 to surf the internet, check email, and watch a video. I used a Verizon MiFi wireless router placed in my purse to gain access to the Internet.

I had a small crowd from time to time watching what I was doing. Some of the Apple techs asked what I was using and I told them it was the Archos 9. Everyone who saw it in action was impressed with its performance. I am using it more and more as I gain proficiency in typing and/or using the writing capabilities.

I am happy with what I have: A portable system sans keyboard that will allow me to work and stay connected to the world and fit easily inside my bag. If I need more power, I already have a notebook that I can use.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

It would depend upon which company you purchase the SSD from. If you go with RunCore, they provide an external Drive enclosure and software to clone the original onto the new SSD. Instructions on how to do this is provided by RunCore.

By far, the hardest part is getting the Archos open. There is a forum topic on how to do this.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:13 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I finally got my hard drive replaced with a 128gb SSD. Plenty of tiny screws to remove. Remove all you can find, then stick a paper clip end into all the little holes on the bottom and top edges. You should hear a little click and if all the screws are out the case should come off. Don't forget the screw under the kickstand, and all that are in the battery compartment. Also note that the kickstand has to slide through a hole as the case comes off.

I've finally gotten my touchscreen working again as an HID digitizer. Swipe isn't perfect yet, but I haven't adjusted it's sensitivity. I gave up trying to back up the existing OS, and just inserted the SSD bare. I plugged in my USB DVD drive and let it boot off the Windows disk and install a fresh copy of Windows 7 Home Premium. It's taken a few hours today to get it all updated and running smooth, but I'd wasted an entire day tuesday just trying to backup my corrupt system to re-install on the SSD. I highly recommend starting with a fresh install of Win7 Home Premum or better. After I had my home network working it found updates for the screen and more.

The screen fades out as you move away from a straight-on view. It has some sort of coating that resists both glare and fingerprints more than a shiny plate of glass would. I found if I turned down screen brightness to 50% or less I could still see the screen fine and battery life jumped up by more than an hour, according to the Win7 battery status report.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:35 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Good job.

How do you like the performance of the SSD??

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:39 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Bootup isn't as quick as I hoped, but everything else is far better than with the hd.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:31 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I don't have one yet but I'm really wanting one I think! Just pricey to get it to run like this lol, $550 for the unit, $500 for the SSD, $80 for windows upgrade lol... But it sure is cool :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:01 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The cost of the hard drive depends upon which size you choose. The 128GB SSD from RunCore costs $419.00 plus shipping/tax. You can get the same size from another company for under $400.00, much cheaper than the $500.00 cost you mentioned earlier. You could get a 64GB SSD for even less. So, the big question is, what do you get for less than $1,000?..

You get a small, compact netbook that is very portable, fits easily inside a purse or bag. Has a standard OS (no matter which one you choose) and allows for easy installation of OTS software. While not the speed demon one would hope, it is comparable to most netbooks on the market. It comes with a 1.1GHz processor and 1GB RAM. It also comes with wireless, an 8.9" touch screen with 1024x600 resolution. You can purchase a 3G wireless from any Cell provider using any monthly plan you may wish.

The iPad tops out at $829.00 (with a 64GB Flash Drive, 1GHz processor (RAM not listed), uses a limited OS (iPhone), and has a large 9.56" screen (albeit with a .5" border around it). The resolution is comparable to the A9, 1024x768. While I do not want to take away anything from the iPad, I do consider it too bulky and too limited for my needs. I wanted a small relatively light, easily portable system I could use while on the road. The A9 is perfect. If you need anything larger, then I would recommend a Sony 13" notebook weighing about 3 lbs, 4GB RAM, 500GB hard drive, 2.66GHz processor and Blu-Ray RW. Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:30 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

there was a post that I thought I saw listing the SSD with fast shipping for $494 or something like that... But yes, a way cool little guy!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:36 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

That might have been mine. It cost me $430.97 total for 2 day shipping.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:21 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Win 7 Home Premium is great and strongly recommended. The "Anytime Upgrade" is tricky. Use MSCONFIG to turn off all the startup stuff, re-boot and then do the upgrade. Definitely worthwhile.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:53 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

scook84 wrote:
That might have been mine. It cost me $430.97 total for 2 day shipping.

Have you upgraded to the new atom515 on the A9 yet? Or are you staying where you are at?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:27 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Not yet. I am waiting to see the options.. So far all is well.