Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:08 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Windows 7 upgrade
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:43 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I ordered the following: RunCore 128GB Pro IV 1.8" 5mm PATA Zif Solid State Drive SSD Weight : 1.00 | Part #:RCP-IV-Z1828-C. Total cost was approximately $430.00 USD, which includes expedited shipping costs.

I will let you know what happens. I still have some questions on how to remove the cover on the Archos 9. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Thanks,

Susan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:29 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

It would be cool if we could get a youTube vid of it in use with this SSd, Is it really going to make that much diffrence?

also $400 is a huge amt of cash for 128GB!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:11 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yeah. It is rather large.. Yet, geekdom lives on! I just want to know. I am smitten by the "What If?" bug..
:D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:55 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi.
I tried to upgrade windows 7 using windows update but always failed at 38% of installation. I have to install windows 7 home basic with a cd and it works better and faster. It took 2:20 min in booting and now 1:15 min. Thx for all your tips

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:16 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Glad to hear it. I, too, noticed a significant speed increase installing Windows 7 Enterprise Edition.

My SSD Hard drive will arrive Monday. If anyone has any tips on how to open the case I would appreciate your letting me know.

FYI, Should you have any problems with the keyboard app, download the latest from Archos.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:44 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have successfully upgraded the Archos 9 hard drive to a 128GB SSD hard drive. It took 22:28 to do a fresh install of Windows 7 Enterprise Edition.

Still need to do driver updates but so far I am quite pleased with the performance. Once I am back at home I will do some further tests.

So far, so good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:41 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Updates completed. System takes about 44 seconds from power on to login and 12-14 seconds after login. Total boot up time is a little shy of 1 minute.

I still need to do more testing. I left my power cord at my office so all the above tests are for battery use only.

So far, I like this unit!

:-D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:39 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

My first try at Windows Anytime Upgrade failed. No indication why, either. Now the 9 is "reverting" and it looks like that will take another two hours.

I figured I should update windows before trying to backup the hard drive and replace it with my new 128gb SSD instead of backing up Starter, moving to the SSD and then trying to anytime upgrade. Looks like I may need another plan. :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:47 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I experienced the same problem as well when I tried using the "Anytime Upgrade". My thoughts are that the failure may be due to the slow performance and/or the Wireless adapter going offline during the process.

You do have options. On another thread there is a link where you can download the version of Windows 7 that you purchased and create a DVD disc. Once you have moved the Windows 7 SE to your new SSD, try the upgrade again using the DVD. You should have the software key already. (NOTE: Upgrade versions of Windows 7 are not bootable).

An alternative would be to attach a docking station equipped with a Network Adapter.

Good luck..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:51 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Well, although it claimed it had failed and was reverting to the previous version, when the 9 finally rebooted there was Windows 7 Premium with all it's bells and beeps. Now I've got to figure out how to move it all onto my new SSD without being able to have both drives running at the same time. I've got something that will back it all up, but the SSD won't boot up with nothing on it and I can't put anything on it until it's in the Archos 9. Anyone know how to make a USB (SD) drive bootable? I've got a 32gb SDHC card and a USB adapter for it, and was hoping could temporarily serve as a place for the backup, be bootable, and hold the backup/restore program itself.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:43 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Did you buy the SSD from RunCore?? If so, there should be software that will allow you to image it. If not, There is Acronis (http://www.acronis.com) that may help.

Let me know.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:31 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I didn't buy from runcore. My drive is a 128gb SuperTalent drive. Supetalent's site doesn't offer any software for their drives that I can find.

I've downloaded acronis' backup, but am not sure where to install it. I'll need to be able to restore to the SSD after the HD is nolonger hooked up, so installing on the HD doesn't make sense. I installed it on my SDHC card, but it puts hooks into windows on the HD, and I can't get the SDHC card to be bootable (so far) anyway. Looks like I'll have to scrounge up an external hard drive for this exercise.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:34 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Depending on the version of Archos you downloaded, you install the software on a separate system. Once installed, you use it to create a bootable CD. it is the CD that is used for the process.

You will need an external USB drive to save the image to.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:57 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

just for information:

i have successfull upgraded from starter edition to home premium by using the anytime upgrade function of the starter edition.
most important fact: install ALL available updates before trying to upgrade and install ALL updates of the archos website. after that and successfull restarting of the system, start then the anytime-upgrade and everything works.

BUT

as we know the egalax drivers are not using the capabilities of windows7's HUD (finger and pen controlling) capabilities.
So anyone knows how to enable them without compromising the stability of the system? where do i find drivers (beta?) which are official by the manufacturer and offering the functionality we all deserve?!

multitouch would be nice but not that important right now to me like using the touchscreen in a more haptive way. ;)

regards

Simon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:36 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I got my Archos 9 two days ago on Monday, used the Microsoft "Windows 7 to USB" utility to make my 4GB Kingston USB Pen Drive bootable with a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate and installed it on my Archos 9.

I had a four port USB Hub connected to be able to connect my normal mouse and keyboard to the system and everything went swimmingly.

The only thing is on first boot up of Windows is that you must update the gfx drivers otherwise everything will stay 640x480 8bit colors yuk!

Installed EGalaxyTouch for the touchscreen to work, however my Windows 7 is still reporting that the Archos 9 is NOT a tablet :S Why is this?

I would like to use the handwriting feature if possible. Anyone can offer any help?

Thanks!!

Maggie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi, Maggie:

Good job! To answer your question; there is a topic on the Archos 9 forums on how to activate additional touch screen features. Scroll down the list.

Here is the link.

http://www.forum.archosfans.com/viewtop ... 50&t=29331

Susan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:19 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

@susan,
maybe a lil more specific?! its a long long and chaotic thread. :)

I already did broke it down to the core of the problem. WHERE do we GET a most recent HUD-driver for the touchscreen?!
You know: as long we dont have a HUD-compliant windows7 driver for the archos9's touchscreen, we wont use the touchscreen-capabilities of windows7!!!

So, where do we get them?!

Simon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:37 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

What version of Windows 7 are you using??

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:57 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

simonlange wrote:
@susan,
maybe a lil more specific?! its a long long and chaotic thread. :)

I already did broke it down to the core of the problem. WHERE do we GET a most recent HUD-driver for the touchscreen?!
You know: as long we dont have a HUD-compliant windows7 driver for the archos9's touchscreen, we wont use the touchscreen-capabilities of windows7!!!

So, where do we get them?!

Simon

Hi Simon,

The drivers I used I got from the links on this forum post

http://www.forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=29546

Just to recap, you must install the latest Intel gfx drivers AND the HID eGalax for this to work.

http://www.forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=29331&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=40

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate, now I am looking into using ReadyBoost to boost things up even more on the Archos.

Best of luck simon.

Maggie

P.S. @Susan, thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:12 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Simon:

Here are the steps outlined on this forum on how to activate the Windows 7 Advanced touch features..

1. Download and install latest video drivers (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ ... 7&lang=eng).
2. Download and install the beta drivers for the Touch screen (http://www.ultramobilepc-tips.com/binfi ... ewLogo.zip
). NOTE: These drivers are NOT specific to the Archos 9 but they do seem to work. Reboot system.
3. After reboot install the Archos 9 supplied touch drivers (version Win7_5.7.0.7301_091130, which came with the Archos 9). After install, immediately uninstall and reboot.
4. After login, calibrate the touch screen by opening the HIDTouch icon on the desktop. (NOTE: If your options are greyed out, try going to START\ALL PROGRAMS\HID GALEXTOUCH\xHIDAUTOCAL. If that doesn't work, try connecting a USB Mouse and try again.
5. Once that is completed, go to START\ALL PROGRAMS\ACCESSORIES\PC TABLET to start the app.

Hope it helps. I must admit I had problems calibrating the Touch screen. Everything was greyed out. I attached a USB Mouse then attempted the auto calibration feature in #4. The system recognized the touch screen.

Once I opened the PC Tablet app listed in #5, I saw the "PEN & TOUCH" app in the Control Panel. The rest was a piece of cake.