Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:58 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:29 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

leijae wrote:
Ok i posted a video on youtube of where my problems are. skip to 4:35 i'm pretty sure it was something to do with launcher, but i dont want to do anything without being sure.

thanks for the help!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEJw22WUHto

try this:

Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500 (9.10 and 10.10)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1229345

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:04 am 
Archos User
Archos User

not really, it actually slowed my fps down about 15... but thanks for the nice tut on 10.10 i'm on 10.04

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:46 am 
Archos User
Archos User

when trying to install mplayer i get:

[email protected]:~$ sudo apt-get install mplayer
[sudo] password for dorothy:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
mplayer: Depends: libavcodec52 (>= 4:0.6-1~) but it is not going to be installed or
libavcodec-extra-52 (>= 4:0.6-1~) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libavformat52 (>= 4:0.6-1~) but it is not going to be installed or
libavformat-extra-52 (>= 4:0.6-1~) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
[email protected]:~$

how to proceed? i really want xvids working well

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:24 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

try this first :

http://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxt ... multimedia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:46 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

+1 for the image
hope any1 can help me out on that

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:31 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm running into problems with Ubuntu 10.10 netbook. I have the A9 with the z515 if it matters.

I got the poulsbo stuff installed but I'm not entirely sure it's working.

The wireless doesn't work well. It likes to just drop and not reconnect. Sometimes modprobe -r b43 followed by modprobe b43 brings it back, sometimes not. Wireless doesn't always work after boot either, it complains the firmware isn't loaded. Under additional drivers it has the B43 driver but says it's not activated. If I try to activate it, I get SystemError: installArchives() failed. I tried the suggestions on the ubuntu forums and got nowhere.

I can't get the touchscreen to work. I downloaded the beta driver and it installs ok, but when I go to calibrate the screen, eGalaxTouch says No Touch Controller Found. I have rebooted, and I did select ps2.
After modprobe serio_raw, the touch screen seems to be with the mouse at /dev/serio_raw0, but that doesn't do anything for eGalaxTouch.

sudo echo -n "serio_raw" > /sys/bus/serio/devices/serio1/drvctl returns permission denied

Help?

I'm not sure if I should stick with 10.10 or go with 10.04 netbook, since there seems to be more success and more documentation there.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:22 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

yvesdm3000 wrote:
I'm running ubuntu 10.04 Remix on my Archos 9. Works pretty well. I'm planning to install 10.10 shortly, and probably going to make an ISO of that 10.10 once it is stable enough. Or do you guys want the 'older 10.04' ?

-Yves

Were you able to get 10.10 to work? Most appear to have experienced serious problems.

EDIT: Also, has anyone tried upgrading to 10.10 from a working 10.04?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:04 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I installed 10.04 and am having a much easier time.

Poulsbo 2d is working. If I let ubuntu load the normal netbook thing, I get a white screen, then it shows the background, then it loads the white screen again, repeat forever. It works fine with the 2d netbook session.

I also have the touchscreen working, using the beta driver. I didn't try the other one.

The broadcom restricted driver properly installed and the wireless is stable and reliable.

Webcam seems to work, maybe a little laggy? I have no webcam experience, so it could be normal.

Sound works.

EDIT: I would really like the "normal" netbook interface to work. It looks easier for a touch screen. I've followed the ossramblings guide, and tried the suggestions here. Ubuntuforums has the gma500 thread that is 258 pages long but I haven't found anything useful there yet.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:10 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

VoodooDali wrote:
yvesdm3000 wrote:
I'm running ubuntu 10.04 Remix on my Archos 9. Works pretty well. I'm planning to install 10.10 shortly, and probably going to make an ISO of that 10.10 once it is stable enough. Or do you guys want the 'older 10.04' ?

-Yves

Were you able to get 10.10 to work? Most appear to have experienced serious problems.

EDIT: Also, has anyone tried upgrading to 10.10 from a working 10.04?

Hopeful bump? :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:37 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have Kubuntu 10.10 working pretty good. If someone has a specific question I can try to answer.

My problem is the same problem with the touchscreen that I had in Windows. There seems to be a bug in the egalaxtouch software or drivers that causes the "hold for right click" function to send a left click as well. This means that every time I right click on a link in Firefox to open a new tab the driver sends a left click too. Same problem in both Windows 7 starter and Kubuntu. Another example is it is impossible to right click on anything on the Windows 7 starter or Kubuntu "start bars" without the program you right-clicked on launching.

The problem does not occur with the full tablet functionality in regular windows 7. I do not understand how a problem this major could have gotten by the egalaxtouch/archos testers.

Because I refuse to allow any more Windows systems on my home network, I will either be getting this to work or returning the tablet. If someone could save me the time and trouble of returning this thing and post a miracle solution for this problem it would be great.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:30 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Jason,
I ran Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop on my A9 and had no issues with extended screen press for right click. I set it up with guidance from this thread and ossramblings. It worked OK but the hardware buttons did not work nor did the LAN on the port replicator. External mouse or keyboard would crash it also. I picked up a $5 USB LAN adapter the worked with Ubuntu but it does not work with W7. I also had problems with Skype and video playback. Who knows why but I think the video messed up after an update.
Weird thing on the mouse touch pad is that it would register that it was being touched but it is uncontrollable. Almost seems like a timing or interrupt problem in the eGalax programming.
As much as I like Ubuntu on my desktops I'm back to a fresh install of Windows 7 on the A9 and it is actually useful now.
Good luck finding a solution but you might want to try Ubuntu 10.04.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:24 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for your reply.

I am actually dual booting my Archos with Windows 7 Home Premium on the hard drive(working perfectly btw) and Kubuntu 10.10 on my mini micro sd adapter with 4GB card. I can even boot it both from the usb hub or directly thanks to the modern uuid style fstab.

On my Archos, the right click seems to work correctly at first glance. It only reproducibly sends a left click when I am trying to right click on certain areas. One great example is trying to right click links in Firefox. It will ALWAYS left click on the link after the right click has finished. It does the exact same thing on the Windows 7 Starter that the Archos ships with. I have only been able to reliably right click on links by using the premium tablet features in Home Premium. I suspect many enthusiasts here have not run into this because they installed a higher tier Windows as soon as they got their Archos which does not have this problem.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:31 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Jason,
I don't know if this will help but I just discovered a setting in the eGalax HID touch setup screen. In the Advanced button there is a selection for either Digitizer Mode or Mouse Mode. I just switched to mouse and settings for right click are available. Performance seems better and I now have the same right click drop down window as a regular mouse.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:03 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks again for trying to help.

I have played with the settings between normal mode, desktop mode, click on touch, and click on release. Desktop mode does give the correct behavior when right clicking. The problem with this mode (and the other three) is that they cause the Firefox grab and drag extension to no longer scroll because the virtual mouse left button is not held down when dragging across the screen. You can test this by trying to drag a window. In desktop mode, dragging does not work.

But I have found a workaround that is not very awkward, does not make use of the wear and tear prone hardware buttons, and is actually just as fast or faster than the right click method. First I tried writing a bash script but found that bash can not detect mouse click events. However, while searching for the necessary script commands I stumbled upon a potentially useful program called xdotool. While googling xdotool bash scripting methods I came across a non-scripted way to use xdotool for direct middle-clicking of Firefox links. This is eventually what I settled on.

This command is what I use:

xdotool selectwindow click 2

In short, this will cause the next left click to instead be interpreted as a middle click. So I just added a custom button (with what looks like a tablet icon) to the KDE panel to run this command. It probably takes me a second or less to open a link in a new tab. So I am happy with the device again at least for now.

I wanted to add that I had to compile the latest version of xdotool because the Kubuntu version was too old to support selectwindow.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:27 am 
Archos User
Archos User

hey guys,

since i bought my 101, i'm selling my 9. it dual boots ubuntu 10.04 netbook and win7 pro... if anyone's interested.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:13 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have everything working nicely on ubuntu 10.10 even Xv except unity-3d. I replaced it with unity-2d.

-Yves

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:00 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Well, I still haven't sold my 9, so I'm going to put 10.10 on it this afternoon. I'll post a video on my youtube channel (madder2302).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:23 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

yvesdm3000 wrote:
I have everything working nicely on ubuntu 10.10 even Xv except unity-3d. I replaced it with unity-2d.

-Yves

Does "everything" include the hardware buttons? Just wondering. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:48 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

How do you get good video performance with 10.10 and how do you install the touch screen drivers on 10.10?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:27 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I haven't recieved my 9 yet but I would try Ultimate Edition based on Ubuntu. Loaded with drivers and codec right from the start.http://ultimateedition.info/

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 Next