Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:41 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:17 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi,

I am trying to install Jolicloud 1.0 on my Archos 9. I am having some problems with the touch screen. However, everything else seems to be working fine apart from the buttons and trackpad but oh well! My main concern is the touch screen. I have tried installing the eGalaxTouch drivers according to the instructions here: http://www.ossramblings.com/installing-ubuntu-archos-9-tablet and those on this thread.

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas??

Thanks! :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:47 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well, I'm amazed each time I install ubuntu on some of our machines, even to the point that it is no real fun anymore (INSTALL + install ubuntu propriety drivers = DONE). Have you ever lately installed Windows XP on a pretty recent machine without the manufacturer slipstreamed installer CD? It's damn harder than install ubuntu... I must be clear though, I choose the hardware well for these specific machines and I do take time to make sure there are decent drivers for it before I choose a specific type of hardware. For the Archos 9 I knew pretty well that this would be a 'fun' project with a lot of hacking on it to make it work correctly. I found that the netbook release of ubuntu is a good candidate, it has everything to handle a small screen and a damn perfect launcher for a touchscreen (BIG buttons!!!).

I'm pretty sure once I publish a live installer CD, targetted at the Archos 9, there will be a lot of users of it. But I wanna wait until it is 100% ready, and not 'nearly'. Xv support is needed in the PSB-driver and the touchscreen driver needs some attention to get the PS2 mouse working, and one should look at suspend but that one seems to evolve without my help.

-Yves

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:07 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Looking forward to your live installer CD for Archos 9.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:36 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

+1 on the live installer CD.

My learning curve with the A9 is proceeding slowly now because my iPad came in around the same time. However I've been able to do things with my A9 running fully updated Win7 Starter which my iPad either can't do (Hulu and internet radio ala WinAmp) or has problems doing (some YouTube Videos).

Great progress, yvesdm3000. I'll be eagerly following your progress.

Allen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:10 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hi,
i have been trying to install the egalax driver for the last 2 days however the driver is unable to detect the touchscreen... i have edited the /etc/rc.local file and used all the serio files (0 to 4) one at a time without luck....any suggestions as to what i am doing wrong? i am using ubuntu netbook 10.04 and the latest drivers from egalax(32bit for 2.6 kernel...) Shouldn't the command "cat /dev/serio_raw0" give some output when i touch the touchscreen ? thank you!

EDIT:
Nevermind seems that i forgot to update grub after adding the boot params...*bangs head on wall*

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:00 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

do not even think about to try meego , kickstart or whatever is not working. Also 10.10 Ubuntu, Kubuntu without sucess too

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Huh?
Seems Meego runs just fine on the A9: http://www.openaos.org/archives/508

Quote:
Yesterday evening I overheard someone mentioning that some people had success getting MeeGo UX working on x86 hardware with an GMA500 GPU. As I know that the Archos 9 is using that graphics chipset too I mentioned this to Bubu, our long time team member who owns an A9.

Well turns out it was really really easy for him! (Mainly because heÔÇÖs spent lots of time making Linux distributions work on the A9)

So who is this Bubu and why is he not here and joining forces with Yves? ;-) Btw: how's that livecd distro coming along?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:42 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Knut wrote:
So who is this Bubu and why is he not here and joining forces with Yves?

Bubu is one of the driving forces behind openPMA and openAOS. He always has been and continues to be available on our IRC channel. his email address is [email protected] guess the domain...
and I don't think he particularly enjoys forums (like me).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:19 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Hi guys,

unfortunately the rpms for the EMGD driver for Meego are no more available from the repository I was using (probably for legal reasons), but seems Intel did released the EMGD drivers officially...

http://edc.intel.com/Software/Downloads/EMGD/

I've not tested, but with a little efforts someone could update the kickstart to make it working again...

Now, concerning my initial port, I've not too many spare time to allocate for it... I'm involved in other openAOS projects (mainly the Android Froyo port for A5IT and all related kernel/boot/init stuff for openAOS in general)... but I can probably answer questions gives some help... just join us at #openaos on irc...
Also, my touchscreen is almost broken (no good calibration) waiting for a replacement so I will say, things are on standby on my side for timebeing :(

BuBU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

running around wiki :
Anyone tried this PixieLive ????
What about ubuntu 9.10 with compiz activated ???
Edit: Tested and fail a lot
Cant enter live mode incorrect username or password
Cant Install Its a live only
Wi-Fi not loading
Its not Ubuntu

GMA 500 on Linux

Ubuntu is the Linux distribution that best supports GMA500 (Poulsbo), through the use of the ubuntu-mobile and gma500 repositories on Launchpad. Support is present for 8.04, 8.10, 9.04, 9.10 and in an experimental way for 10.04, but the installation procedure is not as simple as other drivers and can lead to many bugs.[75]

Jolicloud, a Linux based OS optimized for netbooks, has a driver for the GMA500 built in.

PixieLive, a GNU/Linux live distribution optimized for GMA500 netbooks, it can boot from USB Pendrive, SD Card or HardDisk.

GMA500 is capable of running well in Ubuntu 9.10 with Compiz visual effects activated[76]. I am running XD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:56 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm running ubuntu 10.04 Remix on my Archos 9. Works pretty well. I'm planning to install 10.10 shortly, and probably going to make an ISO of that 10.10 once it is stable enough. Or do you guys want the 'older 10.04' ?

-Yves

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:26 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I for one would love an install image for Ubuntu 10.10.
I tried 10.4 but gave up with problems.
Thnkas to all that work on this.

Post subject: Fix for touch screen
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:21 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Fix for touch screen using new linux beta drivers, maybe work for others distros Jolicloud appear inside setup.sh

Quote from http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get- ... creen.html
Hi
OK, the fix is very simple. First uninstall the version you have
installed. You do need to use the beta one as it allows for the new
xorg configuration.

Then edit the setup.sh file as follows (line 41);
Code:

#xorgpath2="/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d" # for Fedora 13 & Ubuntu 10.10
xorgpath2="/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d" # for openSUSE 11.3

Then re-run the setup;
Code:

sudo ./setup.sh

Then reboot and as your user run eGalaxTouch to setup and calibrate.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:28 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

yvesdm3000 wrote:
I'm running ubuntu 10.04 Remix on my Archos 9. Works pretty well. I'm planning to install 10.10 shortly, and probably going to make an ISO of that 10.10 once it is stable enough. Or do you guys want the 'older 10.04' ?

-Yves

Have you done 10.10 yet? Yesterday I tried to update everything on my 10.04 and it broke Xorg, so I'm attempting 10.10 right now.

So far I've learned the Xorg server included in 10.10 is too new for the eGalax driver - even the beta one.

Maverick and the Poulsbo drivers work great though!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:00 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

10.10 was a bust so I went back to 10.04.

At least the new beta eGalaxTouch drivers fixed my Xorg crashes with 10.04 so I'm able to encrypt my home directory and require a login now. Finally it's become usable for me because I installed my OpenVPN keys and can use this as a primary travel laptop now and still get on the corporate network if I need to diagnose a problem.

I did a dist-upgrade before I installed the GMA500 ppa, and all went well. I was surprised by the changes in the netbook edition from the release of 10.04 to the current upgraded status. A lot of little things got changed, like the way icons work and the scrolling of icons on the netbook interface is now much more like a desktop instead of finger-ready.

I seem to still get the occasional freeze up - with major configurations going on - installing packages, flipping back and forth between applications, I had to reboot it once every hour and a half. It appeared to be video driver related - the system would stop responding to mouse events but the power button would cause hard drive activity strangely enough.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:45 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I received my A9 10/22. My initial backup attempt did not go well.
While W7S worked it was excruciatingly SLOW. Bootup times over 3 minutes and shutdown just as bad. While the "programs" I tried worked OK it was just too slow.
I installed Ubuntu Netbook along side W7 but had problems with the Broadcom driver. Trying to change to Ubuntu desktop turned out to be a problem as it wanted to install as a triple boot.
After 2-1/2 days of tip-toeing through the process i decided to use the sledgehammer approach and did a full disc wipe install with NO backup. Goodbye W7, you were fun for an hour.

I'm now running 10.04.1 thanks to this thread and ossramblings. A big THANK YOU!!
My only issue right now is getting Berry4All to work. There is a problem with a python driver [l-usb something]. I'll post and ask about it later.

I am currently typing on the Cellwriter keyboard with a stylus. I even programmed a sippet in Onboard to make root password entry a 3 press affair.

This A9 will now make a worthy travel companion.

Thanks all!
Regards,
SteveB

UPDATE: Got Berry4All working. There was a problem with libusb-dev and after a bit of searching found out how to reload it from the repositories. The solution was for a completely unrelated problem but I substituted the package I wanted and it worked! Once I had the libusb-dev update the rest was easy. I knew it would work eventually because it works great on my HP2133.

Now I need to see about network service via the port replicator.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:39 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Why not try some third-party apps?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:34 am 
Archos User
Archos User

It keeps asking me for Unlock Login Keyring. Is there a way to bypass this or auto login?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:40 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

yvesdm3000 wrote:

-Yves

+1 for this. I'd take either version as long as it's stable.

Any luck with the hardware buttons yet?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:09 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Ok i posted a video on youtube of where my problems are. skip to 4:35 i'm pretty sure it was something to do with launcher, but i dont want to do anything without being sure.

thanks for the help!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEJw22WUHto

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 Next