Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:27 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 11 Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:51 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

BTW, GL seems to work pretty ok, if these screensavers are any indication. And the translucent elements in the desktop are working. Just in case someone was wondering.

@Yves: if you're that talented a programmer, you should consider a website for your collected works... :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:55 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

yvesdm3000 wrote:
I also have some patches agains CellWriter so it acts like a panel, it will make the main window smaller so it doesn't overlap anything.

oh yeah; I think I tried your toggle command, and something else too. Did I need to compile CW before using them? 'Cause they didn't work so well for me... :(

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:10 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I may give Florence a re-try; I hear someone (Yves, maybe?) has a deb package for it. First, I'd need to figure out how to uninstall the one I have... :/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:26 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I just add a little tip to install ubuntu....
When I try to boot without any keyboard ( usb ) , the X server doesn't work ( the screen stay black )
The work around is to add to xorg.conf this:

Section "Serverflags"
Option AllowEmptyInput true
EndSection

By this way, the archos 9 will start X without any problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:24 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

eczema wrote:
Section "Serverflags"
Option AllowEmptyInput true
EndSection

Interesting. I seem to boot just fine w/o a keyboard plugged in... I wonder what the difference is. :/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:32 am 
Archos User
Archos User

The strangest thing... I re-colored the onBoard default keyboard, but only three keys actually changed color... O_o anyone else tried this?

EDIT: Never mind, I worked it out. I was accidentally superimposing new layers over the original image. 9_9 :oy:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:49 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

So... Back from vacation. Any news on the Poulsbo front, Yves? ;-) I really wanna get VAAPI working on this thing...
That custom eGalax driver with microtouchpad-support also sounds VERY interesting indeed - i actually really like using the micro-touchpad, I think I would prefer it to the touchscreen most of the time if it actually worked...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:01 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

VAAPI works fine using the latest drivers.

You can make the optical mouse work, just use a regular mouse driver instead of the eGalax.

I have some personal stuff that will occupy most of my time right now. The full xorg driver will be ready in about a month or so (I'm spending my spare time on my newborn child now!)

-Yves

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:59 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Right, but if you use a regular driver, don't you lose the touchscreen?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:36 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yes. The two devices share the same PS2 port and seemingly it switches from one to the other using a custom PS2 command.

Yves

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:09 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

yvesdm3000 wrote:
Yes. The two devices share the same PS2 port and seemingly it switches from one to the other using a custom PS2 command.

Yves
Oh man, I'll never figure that out on my own... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:36 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Gonna try out Kubuntu Netbook Edition to see how it looks/feels. Will post my findings and maybe a screenshot later. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:47 am 
Archos User
Archos User

VoodooDali wrote:
Gonna try out Kubuntu Netbook Edition to see how it looks/feels. Will post my findings and maybe a screenshot later. :)

Ugh. You can have it. As soon as I rebooted from installing Poulsbo, I got a blank screen and that was that.

EDIT: To elaborate: I reinstalled the original Ubuntu Netbook Edition without issues.

Something about the Poulsbo driver was being handled differently, between the GNOME- and the KDE-based desktop managers, I guess, and so the same xorg tweaks didn't make a difference to Kubuntu.

To me this suggests that Mandriva, which uses KDE by default, would give you the same headache. Does anyone here know differently?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:51 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

You are probably suffering from the bug on Compiz (or any other compositing manager). This is something on our todo list to fix, it's not an easy one though... Please be aware that we are doing this on our spare time. If there would be some funding from Intel's side, things would go a lot faster...

-Yves

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:40 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

No worries. :) Between the two, I'd rather have my hardware buttons and thumb-mouse back, anyways. XD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:37 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

@yvesdm3000 congrats on the expanding family!

In the meantime due to the xorg crashes caused by eGalax, I've reverted to using a wireless mouse with mine when doing anything that I can sit for - otherwise the built-in touchpad. If it weren't for the crashes, I could live without the touchpad and just use the touch screen, but xorg will crash if I try to use a BT keyboard or try to just login to the device using the touchscreen keyboard...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:00 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Xorg crashes are (IMO) the dark underbelly of Linux. We like to characterize it as being much more reliable than Windows, but it isn't really. The kernel may be stable as hell, but the kernel is useless for most of us without the UI. And unless you've got the knowledge and patience to do a LOT of tweaking, and endure lots of trial and error, you'll see plenty of UI crashes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:57 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Please note that you are hitting a crappy driver, one that is not supported by Intel. You cannot expect to categorize the whole Linux world because of 1 crappy partly-closed source unsupported driver ?

-Yves

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:18 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hi yvesdm3000,

Having run Linux since 1995 you really hit the nail on the head: one driver failure after another after another. When I started in 1995 I compiled Slackware for token ring support. Laborious, but not bad. Then on to Redhat, SuSE, Caldera, etc. Stopped using Linux in 2003 when A/V support lagged behind WinOS. In 2008 I tried 5 distros on my Dell 530. All failed to install a clean user environment. The only thing left is GRUB.

I'm past the days when I'm interested in searching forums for how to get this or that working in Linux to have a clean user environment. WinOS runs out of the box. MacOS runs out of the box.

I characterize Linux this way: With over 100 distros Linux is a mess which all too often requires forum support to run properly. 15 years after my first Linux install and it's still not ready for end users. No wonder, too many choices, too many "vendors".

I'll check again in a few years. Get a few popular distros and see if they run "out of the box". Until then the only Linux I use is a gparted livecd which functions perfectly in ram for disk drive management.

BTW, a friend got a Linux box from Dell and it runs perfectly, but Dell is not your average end user.

Allen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:11 am 
Archos User
Archos User

yvesdm3000 wrote:
Please note that you are hitting a crappy driver, one that is not supported by Intel. You cannot expect to categorize the whole Linux world because of 1 crappy partly-closed source unsupported driver ?

-Yves

You're quite right about the driver. I regret to say, though, that I've never yet found a Linux distro that worked out-of-the-box, as Allen puts it. :( And that's in ten years of trying, on six computers. Edit: That's using Ubuntu, Red Hat, OpenSUSE, Mandriva and I forget what else.

That's not to say that Linux isn't good, or that it isn't getting better all the time. Both are true -- I'm writing now from the Kubuntu side on my dual-boot ASUS laptop and I like it. But it took a week of laborious tweaking and troubleshooting to get to this point, and I very nearly gave up several times. :/

I like having choices, and Linux gives me that. But with those choices come consequences, one of which is a lot of extra work.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 11 Next