Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:58 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 611 Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm also stuck on getting the touchscreen working.
I'm in Xubuntu 9.10 and have graphics, wifi and sound.
I can't figure out the touchscreen though.
I've installed both the latest beta and the latest non-beta drivers to test it, with PS/2 as the chosen interface in setup.sh.
I added the SERIO_RAW stuff to /etc/rc.local with serio0 as the chosen device.

I'm not sure how to add the boot parameter i8042.nomux to the system though, as GRUB won't give me a boot menu at startup, and there is no /boot/grub/menu.lst file that I'm so used to. Adding it in /boot/grub/grub.cfg also makes no difference.

if I cat the serio0/description, my output is:
i8042 KBD port
and all other's respond with
i8042 AUX# port
where # is different for every serio device.
I'm not a linux guru by any means, but I can normally figure some of this out, and it seems that the touchscreen driver gives different results for EVERY archos system.

tried modprobe to check if serio_raw was loaded, and it seems to be.
running eGalaxTouch with the device set to /dev/serio_raw0 loads the interface, but running calibrate freezes the application.
If I choose to "Clear Parameter" the application takes 10-15 minutes to do so, and a progress bar appears on the screen moving very slowly.

I'm just about out of ideas here, but I don't just want to give up because of how close I am to getting this working.
Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:05 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello,

I've been trying ubuntu remix on this Archos 9. Currently i can't get the touch-screen to work properly, it looks like some axis and direction is reversed. I have the egalax driver working in X (put the default pointer to the 'void' driver). But i can't seem to run the eGalax calibration driver. It always tells me this message in a QT window:

"No Touch Controller found."

After some debugging I've found these extra options in xorg.conf:

Option "DebugLevel" "255"

Which gives me loads of debugging messages out of the egalax driver. Here i can see the egalax driver is operational and working.

These are the options i also found. Please note that i used '1' as i don't know the exact number. The driver only tells me that its enabled, except for the DesktopDuration...

Option "Rotation" "1"
Option "DesktopDuration" "1"
Option "Gesture" "1"
Option "FixedDevice" "1"

The guys that actually made eGalax do the calibration, how did you manage to make that work?

-Yves

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:10 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

zerotri:

You need to add the option to your kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst. Just append it to the line where the first keyword is 'kernel'. Only do it on your 'main' kernel config, its better not to touch the lines that indicate 'single-user mode', that one will be your fallback if you screw up. Just pick your kernel you're running and you'll be fine.

-Yves

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:20 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

OK, I finally found my problem.

As soon as you leave your X session, xorg or the egalaxy driver disconnects from the hardware. My mistake was to run the eGalaxyTouch from a virtual console and not from within X itself. That means that xorg isnt locked on the hardware and the eGalaxyTouch application doenst find his hardware. I solved it by running an xterm and from within the xterm i ran the eGalaxyTouch setup program. I have a working touchpanel now !

-Yves

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:26 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

yvesdm3000 wrote:
OK, I finally found my problem.

I have a working touchpanel now !

-Yves

Are you saying that you have a totally functionnal Linux NBR working on your Archos ? With good pouslbo drivers for HD video ?

Quite uncredible :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:10 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well, it is almost completely working, i still need to figure some things out:

- wifi is broken: "modprobe wl" completely hangs the device. I currently have network using bluetooth to my Debian sid. I want to upgrade de distro since i took the wrong ubuntu remix which is based on 8.04. It will take a very long while over bluetooth... I might start over but take an image first.

- need to figure out how i make the archos and keyboard buttons do things.

The archos button seem to be ctrl-alt-.

The keyboard button seems to be alt+scroll lock

The 2 on/off buttons are completely dead. I wonder if they are the 2 mouse buttons linked to the optical mouse.

- PS2 optical mouse is not working. Since we specified "nomux", that means we should have 2 separate devices around and hang the core pointer to that device. /dev/psaux doesnt seem to be doing anything though

(I typed this on the archos machine, with an external keyboard)

Something to note, the touchscreen is serio1 on this device, the keyboard is serio0.

-Yves

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:14 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Oh, btw, i downloaded the poul drivers from DELL seems like they had Ubuntu remix on their netbooks too, and it has GMA500, seem to work fine, with OpenGL and all. Not the fastest GPU around, but it works...

-Yves

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:26 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

ok so the remix is mostly working now, some tweaks still needed on wifi and some video-driver+suspend needs looked after, and the optical mouse is not working

this looks promising for video-playback:

http://www.splitted-desktop.com/~gbeauc ... yer-vaapi/

I also made a patch on 'florence' to make slide-type possible: you can slide on the keyboard until you find the right key. I also made a change where the focussed key gets a vertical offset so you can better see what key you're focussing)

-Yves

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:58 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

VoodooDali wrote:
1. Installed Mandriva One 2010.0.

VoodooDali, Did you perform any special steps in getting Mandriva One 2010.0 installed?
I am booting from a USB flash drive which has been created with Unetbootin and the KDE iso, but when it gets to the stage of starting X, it drops back to the console for login.

Trying to manually start X causes the whole thing to freeze and powering off at the "on button" is the only way to get back in.

I'm downloading the Gnome version now - hoping that's the only difference.

I'm planning on installing the Moblin UI when installed anyway.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

chrismcb wrote:
I'm downloading the Gnome version now - hoping that's the only difference.

OK, so that didn't make a difference... any advice?

Would log files help anyone to help me? Don't want to post them if they're useless!

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:21 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

You need to install the psb drivers to get a decent xorg working. it is best to choose a distribution that has them

-yves

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:16 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

yvesdm3000 wrote:
You need to install the psb drivers to get a decent xorg working. it is best to choose a distribution that has them

-yves

Thanks, but Mandriva 2010.0 has been proven to already have psb support - I can see it configuring and installing the driver from the terminal before it tries to start X and the GUI.

The screen goes blank for a few seconds, then I'm presented with a terminal login prompt.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:01 am 
Archos User
Archos User

chrismcb> I think you have to use "mandriva-seed" to build your USB live key. The way it-s doing it seems to be slightly different.

By the way, I tried Jolicloud and Mandriva 2010 and they both crashed (no time to search the reason why).

So I decided to install Fedora 11. My first challenge was to install Wifi without repositories. It seems to be cyclic depedence between kmod-wl and broadcom* RPM. So I had start installing the last one with --nodeps option.

It's strange to share the same hardware and to have each time a different problem ... ^^;

Bye

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Nash@af wrote:
chrismcb> I think you have to use "mandriva-seed" to build your USB live key. The way it-s doing it seems to be slightly different.

Thanks - I did try that for Windows, but couldn't get it to recognise my USB drives - it is a known problem with it.

Perhaps I'll try using the Linux version of mandriva-seed.

Nash@af wrote:
It's strange to share the same hardware and to have each time a different problem ... ^^;

Definitely is! Makes me think they've put different chips in each of our machines!!! haha

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:10 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Hi,

It's my turn.

After updating my kernel to 2.6.30, I ran "yum install xorg..." and ... it crash :)

/sbin/modprobe -b pci:v0000.... abnormal exit

Booting on my 2.6.29 kernel works because no PSB driver for the 2.6.29 is installed.

I didn't find the logs of the boot console displayed there (not in message/boot.log/xorg.log)

Di you have this kind of problem ? Thanks!

Bye

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:49 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Nash@af - sorry, but I can't even get Mandriva installed!

Tried the mandriva-seed.sh script for linux and the same error persists.

When on the initial boot from the USB drive, the GUI does not display and a terminal login prompt is shown.

The Xorg log fails at:

Code:
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device or address)
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
[drm] filed to load kernel module "psb"
(EE) [drm] drmOpen failed.
(EE) PSB(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed. Disabling DRI.
(EE) [drm] Could not uninstall irq handler.
(EE) PSB(0): This driver currently needs DRM to operate.

Fatal server error:
AddScreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0

Frustrating!!

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:10 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

ive been looking at the psb drivers from ubuntu remix. intel did a very lousy job creating this driver: they copied and butchered the drm subsystem to implement their junk. that also means its practically impossible to port this driver from kernel 2.6.24 to anything more recent. has anyone found a more recent driver?

yves

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:44 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Hi,

Fedora 11 on my A9 is definitly impossible for me.

I have made all the possible upgrades on a fresh install, enabled RPMFusion repositories, then installed psb driver, but it doesn't work. Always the modprobe problem.

Some depedencies are taken from Fedora repositories, is that normal ?

By the way, I'll try ubuntu 9.10, maybe with more luck.

Code:
=============================================================================================================================================================
 Package                                              Arch                  Version                           Repository                                Size
=============================================================================================================================================================
Installing:
 xorg-x11-drv-psb                                     i586                  0.32.0-1.fc11                     rpmfusion-nonfree-updates                 95 k
Installing for dependencies:
 kmod-psb                                             i586                  4.41.1-10.fc11.10                 rpmfusion-nonfree-updates                5.4 k
 kmod-psb-2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.i586                i586                  4.41.1-10.fc11.10                 rpmfusion-nonfree-updates                154 k
 libdrm-poulsbo                                       i586                  2.3.0-10.fc11                     rpmfusion-nonfree-updates                 26 k
 livna-config-display                                 noarch                0.0.23-1.fc11                     rpmfusion-nonfree                         67 k
 psb-firmware                                         noarch                0.30-4.fc11                       rpmfusion-nonfree-updates                 13 k
 rhpxl                                                i586                  1.12-2.fc11                       fedora                                    96 k
 system-config-display                                noarch                1.1.3-2.fc11                      fedora                                   196 k
 xpsb-glx                                             i686                  0.18-5.fc11                       rpmfusion-nonfree-updates                1.1 M

Transaction Summary

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:45 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

crismcb,

do you have the psb kernel modules installed? This is what i have on my remix 8.04:

user@tabletpc:/dev/dri$ lsmod |grep psb
psb 162216 3
i2c_algo_bit 7300 1 psb
drm_psb 188360 3 psb
agpgart 34760 1 drm_psb
user@tabletpc:/dev/dri$ ls -al
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 60 2010-05-09 12:11 .
drwxr-xr-x 13 root root 13900 2010-05-09 12:11 ..
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 226, 0 2010-05-09 12:11 card0
user@tabletpc:/dev/dri$

beware this is kernel 2.6.24

only the mouse on the right side and 2 buttons arent working for me.

i'm also looking into building my own virtual keyboard. florence is pretty good, modified it already but i really want a panel based one to make it work very well with maximus

-yves

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:10 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

yvesdm3000> Have you tried the "i8042.noloop" kernel parameter ? This made the mouse & buttons work for my Fedora.

Ares> You have to make your wifi work before upgrading to kernel 2.6.30. This kernel won't start until broadcom drivers are installed (freeze at "starting udev").

I will try ubuntu remix 8.04 :)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 611 Next