Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:50 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 511 Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:45 am 
Archos User
Archos User

i am not familiar with linux but would like to give it a go if it will perform faster than windows 7.

do we get things like handwriting software on linux like ritePen?

thanks

maggie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

lintweaker wrote:
Display: 1024x600 with xorg-x11-drv-psb from rpmfusion

How did you get the driver to work? I installed it, rebooted and Fedora 11 got stuck during boot up process... When I compiled and installed it in Ubuntu 9.10, I got an all black screen after reboot.
@Maggie: Don't really know yet, couldn't test lots of things... like video playback. Regarding software, there should be plenty, but I didn't try anything out...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:44 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Ares wrote:
lintweaker wrote:
Display: 1024x600 with xorg-x11-drv-psb from rpmfusion

How did you get the driver to work? I installed it, rebooted and Fedora 11 got stuck during boot up process... When I compiled and installed it in Ubuntu 9.10, I got an all black screen after reboot.
@Maggie: Don't really know yet, couldn't test lots of things... like video playback. Regarding software, there should be plenty, but I didn't try anything out...

Maybe you can try booting without
Code:
rhgb queit
parameters to see where it goes wrong. It's is fiddly to get working with i586 en i686-PAE packages being used together.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:43 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for the reply lintweaker!
I am back on Ubuntu 9.10 now, though... And after looking around at ubuntuforums.org, I found a few good guides, and am making some progress. I can install the drivers, but get a black screen once I edit the xorg.conf to use them... How did you edit your xorg.conf file?

EDIT: after none of the above mentioned guides really worked, I'm more than willing to try out fedora 11 and get the drivers to work the way you did... did you use the KDE oder gnome version of Fedora? Thanks a lot in advance! Glad for any advice you can give me. Btw did you try Fedora 12 on the Archos 9 yet?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:25 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Okay, the Fedora hanging in boot up issue is not related to the psb drivers... I installed Fedora 11, and then only updated it (but after adding the rpmfusion repositories), restarted and it did hang at exactly the same spot. Will now 1) try updating without rpmfusion repositories and 2) turn off the quiet parameter so I can tell you exactly where it hangs... Anyway, I'm kind of glad it's not directly related to the drivers. Means I could get it to work after all...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:55 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Ares wrote:
Okay, the Fedora hanging in boot up issue is not related to the psb drivers... I installed Fedora 11, and then only updated it (but after adding the rpmfusion repositories), restarted and it did hang at exactly the same spot. Will now 1) try updating without rpmfusion repositories and 2) turn off the quiet parameter so I can tell you exactly where it hangs... Anyway, I'm kind of glad it's not directly related to the drivers. Means I could get it to work after all...

Hmm, I found something in my notes regarding getting F11 working on the A9:

Quote:
4-nov-09
System fully updated, still problems with kernel from 2.6.30 series. Booting hangs at starting udev.

and later:

Quote:
6-nov-09
Due to new F11 updates (!?) the latest 2.6.30 kernels just boot fine! Managed to get the psb driver installed and get a proper 1024x600 resolution working! The touchscreen still does not work.

Maybe this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:10 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for the reply! I booted into the old version of the kernel, and it didn't hang this time... Installed the psb drivers, but during reboot, in verbose mode, it said psb.ko module was missing...
Anyway, I then installed Mandriva One 2009, and was surprised that everything, except the touchpad mouse and touchscreen did work out of the box! Graphics, WiFi and all. I'm trying to install Mandriva One 2010 right now, but I have problems with the USB stick right now... ^^

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:47 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

still new to linux user. I just installed the Ubuntu Netbook Remix on the Archos 9, I was able to get everything to work except the touchscreen. I installed several versions of the xorg-evtouch-driver, tried to use it using graphical interface as well as through the command line prompt neither method seems to work. The driver is not registering. Would it be possible for someone to help me out? Recommend a driver or provide step-by-step instructions?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:39 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi!
dl101878 wrote:
I installed several versions of the xorg-evtouch-driver, tried to use it using graphical interface as well as through the command line prompt neither method seems to work.

The archos 9 doesn't use the evtouch touch panel driver!

Not really step by step instructions but you can try using drivers from here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/abiclo ... 2/download

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:25 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

rsousa wrote:
Hi!
dl101878 wrote:
I installed several versions of the xorg-evtouch-driver, tried to use it using graphical interface as well as through the command line prompt neither method seems to work.

The archos 9 doesn't use the evtouch touch panel driver!

Not really step by step instructions but you can try using drivers from here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/abiclo ... 2/download

Wrong link?

The touchpad needs a binary driver from eeti.com.tw (http://home.eeti.com.tw/web20/drivers/touch_driver/Linux/20100120/eGalaxTouch-3.00.3719-32b-k26.tar.gz) and you have to boot Linux with a special kernel parameter for the PS/2 controller.

Code:
i8042.nomux

BTW you probably lose the PS/2 mouse with this setting.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:41 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Got Ubuntu 9.10 working on my Archos through following this post, only the touchscreen remains...
Installed the EETI driver and found out it enters the wrong device in xorg.conf. After cat-ing alot of /dev/input/event[s] found that the touchscreen and trackpoint are connected to /dev/input/event7. After configuring xorg.conf and rebooting, every touch brings the cursor to the lower left corner. Same for the trackpoint..

'xinput test' gives the following output:
Code:
motion a[0]=0 a[1]=2045 
button press   1 a[0]=0 a[1]=2045
motion a[0]=0 a[1]=2045
motion a[0]=0 a[1]=2045
button release 1 a[0]=0 a[1]=2045

However using the eGalaxTouch application I'm able to calibrate the display. The 4 points calibration registers every touch in the corners correctly, so I'm pretty sure /dev/input/event7 is the way to go..

xinput recognizes the touchscreen as an 'absolute' device but it looks like it doesn't receive the corrected coordinates from the driver. That's how far I got until now, but still working the problem. ;)

Any ideas over how to get X to recognize the touched position correctly?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:50 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

FOUND IT :D

The driver was setting the correct device, only you had to tell the kernel to create the device. The worst part is that it's listed in the eGalaxTouch driver..

Quote:
Note: Some kernel version later than 2.6.15 ( such as Ubuntu 6.06 or Fedora Core 6 )
already include the compiled kernel module ÔÇ£serio_rawÔÇØ. The user can enter
ÔÇ£lsmod | grep serio_rawÔÇØ to check in a terminal window if this kernel module
exist and be loaded or not. If this kernel module was loaded already, it does
not need to rebuild kernel. Otherwise, rebuild kernel is required. User must
append the following description into the file ÔÇ£rc.localÔÇØ ( It is renamed boot.local
under SuSE Linux series ) in order to support PS2 auxiliary port as a char
device like kernel 2.4.x does. This file can be found in the /etc/rc.d.
## SERIO_RAW section begin ##
echo -n "serio_raw" > /sys/bus/serio/devices/serioX/drvctl
## SERIO_RAW section end ##
It needs user to check with serio port was for PS2 auxiliary port to assign
correct above serioX value. If it is on serio0, the above setting should be
echo -n ÔÇ£serio_rawÔÇØ > /sys/bus/serio/devices/serio0/drvctl
The user can use ÔÇ£cat /sys/bus/serio/devices/serio0/descriptionÔÇØ to check
in a terminal window. By default, the PS2 auxiliary port is assigned to serio0
under Ubuntu 6.06 and Fedora Core 6 Linux.
After reboot, the PS2 auxiliary port can be used as a char device like kernel
2.4.x does. For touchscreen application, the user still needs to install the
TouchKit driver to make sure touchscreen work.

so just install the eGalaxTouch driver as a PS/2 device and edit /etc/rc.local as stated in the pdf and you got a working touchscreen. Only the optical trackpoint stops working correctly so not an overal fix.. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:07 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Wow guys i haven't been on in a while, and i gotta say... GREAT JOB!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:27 am 
Archos User
Archos User

RTFM, isn't it ?

:D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:37 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Nash@af wrote:
RTFM, isn't it ?

:D

yeah really :p...
I'm a software engineer so should have known better :D

Unfortunally the driver isn't completely compitable with the tablet. There is no right-click if you touch and hold the screen, even if you checked 'auto right-click' in the eGalax tool. It seems that it has something to do with the optical trackpoint connected to the same PS/2 port. I have the feeling the eGalax driver can't handle this.

I'm planning to mail EETI and ask them about this and hopefully get a solution, but I'm at work now so don't have the time...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:50 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

BTW..

reading back this thread I saw alot of people have problem with the video drivers. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsVideoCardsPoulsbo/ hosts a shell script which downloads the needed deb files (for Ubuntu/Debian) and installs it... it really works like a charm.. Maybe this will help people which are trying different distros. You probably can't use the deb's but maybe you get an idea...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:01 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Greetings:

After replacing my HDD with an AMP SaberTooth ZX SSD, I decided to have a go at installing Mandriva Linux on my "9". It's very fast and responsive now, and it's almost working perfectly except that the eGalax software can't seem to enter calibration mode, and the touchscreen axes are screwy. :?

If you're interested, this is what I've done so far to get it going:

1. Installed Mandriva One 2010.0.
2. Disabled IPv6 protocol in Networking, because I couldn't access many websites. :?
3. Added the Contributor and Debug repositories to urpmi.
4. Installed the Poulsbo drivers from the developmental libraries using urpmi.
5. Set the graphical server to the US15W, monitor to Custom and resolution to 1280x600 @ 24bpp. Reboot. Video is now working. :D
6. Added i8042.nomux to the boot parameters. Optical mouse is now working. :D
7. Installed matchbox-keyboard using urpmi. I now have an on-screen keyboard. Although it doesn't work very well -- it crowds out other windows on the desktop.
8. Installed the eGalax driver from EETI, using the setup.sh script as root and specifying PS/2 mode.
9. Added the SERIO_RAW section to rc.local. Reboot. Touchscreen is now... doing stuff. :?

I can run the eGalaxTouch setup program, but no changes are applied (I get something like, "Error contacting the X server, please contact your provider").

I can attempt to run calibration, but it takes forever to get to the first touch point, and then hangs there until I restart the X server.

The touch screen doesn't respond to tap-clicks, and the cursor travels nearly opposite to the direction of my finger.

Have you encountered this? How did you get past it?

Thanks and well done to all the peeps who helped me get this far =D>

EDIT: I just realized that I haven't yet tried specifying the "serio0" parameter in rc.local:
Code:
echo -n ÔÇ£serio_rawÔÇØ > /sys/bus/serio/devices/serio0/drvctl

I'll give that a shot this evening.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:12 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Ooooookay, so changing the serio_raw value to serio0 didn't work. I'll see if it's some other value. :/

However, I've since installed Florence which is a *much* better on-screen keyboard.

And I've used the "khotkeys" utility to map it to the keyboard button (which, FYI, Linux appears to read as Alt+Scroll Lock).

8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:35 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Ahhh, so by "serioX" they were referring to *whichever* port is hosting the PS/2 auxiliary, and so I need to use
[cole]cat /sys/bus/serio/devices/serio0/description[/code]
to determine which one. The "X" in serioX is a placeholder, and serio0 is merely an example. :oops:

Also, there's a mention of a touchkit driver still being needed. But searching for a Linux touchkit driver, the latest I can find is dated is dated 2008.

And do I need to edit xorg.conf? :?: And if so, would the "X" in serioX correspond to the event ID in xorg? :?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:50 am 
Archos User
Archos User

*sigh* welp, I'm stuck. :? anyone else wanna weigh in?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 511 Next