Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:24 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Re: archos 9
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:54 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax, how is the battery life? Did they mention how many hours under normal usage? Is the battery user replaceable? If so, any plan of extended battery?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:31 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

^ never mind. I finished your video review and they didn't really say much other than "maybe 3 hours".
but replaceable battery is good. Multi-touch is cool.

It looks very nice for sure.

Are they getting you a review for more detail reviews soon? ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:45 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Ok, I realize that there are many other products with similar features, like a the portability of a netbook, the touchscreen, but most of these suffer in at least one category. For cost, try finding a touchscreen netbook running windows with a capable atom processor. Most of these cost over $800. The only competition archos is directly facing, at least in the US, is Viliv which hasn't gotten much press until recently. Simply that archos offers such a useful size screen, compared to the compact 7" Viliv, gives them some advantage since if you look at their pricing, Archos seems to be trying to match Viliv's price.

I will be going to college this fall, and would love to have such a portable touchscreen at a good price. Paired with a $1000 i7 powered desktop and syncing of a shared folder, this combo pretty much destroys for price, portability, and power.

I have to hand it to Archos, if this device is truly open, bug-free, and capable of properly running Windows 7 (especially Win 7's touchscreen capabilities), this will be a very marketable device.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:52 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I must add though. If this exact same device had come out on Apple manufacturing line and announced a couple days ago during WWDC with plans to be released with Snow Leopard, their would be so much buzz about it, engadget's servers might have crashed.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:11 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Ok it might just be me here, but i feel like i just got F$#### in the A##. i just spent $400 on a 120GB Archos 7 and another 40 on plug-ins. now out of nowhere they decide, oh hey lets go ahead and just design a new product and say screw you guys who own a 7 inch paper weight. sorry, this just really makes me mad that they didnt even support the Archos 7 with any type care. there is no helmet cam or gps for this thing and the only difference it makes between the Archos 5 and 7 is the fact there is a bigger screen and an extra speaker. now there is this Archos 9 that runs off a Intel Atom processer............. what was wrong with your wanna be touch interface that you ran on your horrible Arms processer. im a huge microsoft fan and i actually had to go out and buy a Ipod touch (which is better) to satisfy myself. I meen i have read tons of forums and found that people are more upset about customer care with this company. you wonder why. Screw it......... i hope Archos plans to do something about my $440 dollar paper weight :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:16 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

LOL - look at the size of it!!!! :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cTfXgbuenk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:22 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

At about the 3:38 time of the video we get a view from below and it looks as if the screen is not TN as the image does not go negative. It's just a quick glimpse and maybe I missed it.

Charbax, is the screen in the 9 a wide-viewing-angle PVA type?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The viewing angles seemed super good. They didn't want to tell me more details about the screen, though it is very thin and it supports multi-touch they said.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:11 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax, Archos did not happen mention or hint towards different versions of the Archos 9, possibly different hard drive capacities or different hardware?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:12 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Archos5Fan wrote:
At about the 3:38 time of the video we get a view from below and it looks as if the screen is not TN as the image does not go negative. It's just a quick glimpse and maybe I missed it.

Charbax, is the screen in the 9 a wide-viewing-angle PVA type?

I had noticed that too, but did not say anything because it is not an actual retail version so we wont know for awhile.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If I remember correctly, it's a 1.8" hard drive inside. So I guess they will use whatever is the largest capacity that you can get on the market at a cost effective price. 120GB or 160GB by the time of release..

No real need to release different versions of it, of course other than releasing a DVB-T version and a HSDPA version and perhaps one with both DVB-T and HSDPA.

I would think that the best solution would have been to ship only one version and to provide DVB-T and HSDPA as some type of add-on modules to insert on top and underneath or something. But I guess this is so thin so you cannot make it into modules so there will have to be different versions for each of those add-on features.

I would like them to release a 3-mode keyboard add-on accessory for it, to connect on the proprietary connector underneath, the keyboard should only have the most important 4 rows of big Qwerty keys, it should slide behind the device when in tablet mode and not be a nuisance cause should only add less than 5mm behind it and be very light, should then slide forward to be used on the table using the kickstand as well cause the keyboard should be much lighter than the device itself, and then also be able to fold back onto the screen to cover the whole screen basically like a laptop form factor, so no leather case would be needed when putting it in a bag.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:54 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Honestly I prefer to use a seperate blue-tooth one because it ends up being more portable. I recommend this:

http://store.treocentral.com/igo-stowaw ... A1343A.htm

Edit:
This is the better version, but isn't in production anymore. That said it can still be found.

http://cgi.ebay.com/iGo-Ultra-Slim-Stow ... tsupported

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:07 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I've got the leather protective case for the Archos 5, and I guess it would be cool if they'd make a comparable version for the Archos 9, with the flap on the bottom side, so you could lay a keyboard on it, or even click it in, but you could just fold it behing the A9 to have a tablet.