Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:38 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: archos 9
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

http://www.archos.com/products/nb/archo ... gb&lang=en check out new archos pctablet

Post subject: Re: archos 9
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:50 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Does anyone know the price range ?

The fully-tactile MiniPC

What better innovation for a MiniPC than to get rid of keyboards?

ARCHOS once again is leading the way in innovation, with the introduction of the MiniPC of the future, the ARCHOS 9PCtablet. The ARCHOS design team has coupled groundbreaking design with the most advanced technologies, by leveraging their expertise from the design of the Internet Media Tablets. The new PC combines the performance of a high end PC with breathtaking aesthetics, excellent ergonomics and a tactile interface that ARCHOS has built their reputation on. Pure lines, extreme thinness (0.63''), less than 800g and a stunning black finish, the ARCHOS 9 pushes the boundaries of elegance and simplicity on a MiniPC, fulfilling all expectations of the most mobile users.
Intuitive and easy to use, the ARCHOS 9 delivers an unrivalled user experience, and is set to replace the traditional computer. Without a physical keyboard, it provides a virtual keyboard, very easy to use on the the resistive touchscreen, and has an optical trackpoint to let you surf the web, communicate, work and entertain anywhere.

The ARCHOS 9 incorporates the new Intel┬« ATOMÔäó Z515 processor, an 80 GB1 hard disk, Bluetooth to tether wireless accessories, and 2 antennas to receive DVBT TV with diversity reception.

And what's more, the ARCHOS 9 is running Microsoft® Windows 7, the latest version of the most commonly used operating system in the world.

The ARCHOS 9 provides all the power and comfort needed for daily usage.
It combines an impressive performance and a rich multimedia experience to deliver the most advanced PC in the world. Be ready to discover it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:02 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I dont like it. I can see this thing being a huge problem.

Also...it looks like an archos 5 with a backpack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:09 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Finger typing on this thing on screen... :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:13 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

When I see this device some questions are floating in my head.

It runs Windows 7? A normal Windows 7 without any limitations?
For now, I'm sure, it will run fine. However after a year, and many many bug and securityupdates ahead, will it run smooth or will performance be dropped? Windows XP does not run on 6 years old machines with normal speed anymore. Does Microsoft return some money if I decide to not to use it?

Am I able to install an OS of choose? It would be really nice, I can create my own media tabloid with internet as I want it to be. (Linux, XFCE, VLC stuff etc.)

How is battery life?

How is standby? Does it require a cold boot every time I start it? Can it be in standy for three or more days without dropping the battery level to 0?

Can I still connect it to my television? Is there some kind of recording station?

Is there GPS. That would be nice, but not required ^_^ (I'm not gonna use this in my car).

Is there WiFi ( I think so :P )

What kind of virtual Keyboard is it? A windows application, or is it something archos created wich runs on top of the whole system?

How is the screen?

Will it be below 400 euro's?

I hope it does run Linux, then I'll be one of it's first buyers. If it's not, I'll never buy one ^_^
I guess I'll not get the answer within a few days :P

**Sorry for my bad English**

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:19 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Will it need an anti-virus software

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:23 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

unhip_crayon wrote:

Probably: yes :P
Can't for the "First Norton Anti Virus on the Archos 9!" movie.

Edit. I don't understand why everyone is complaining. They listened to their customers. Now you can install software yourself. Including anti-virus :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:38 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

TheUnknownCylon wrote:
unhip_crayon wrote:

Probably: yes :P
Can't for the "First Norton Anti Virus on the Archos 9!" movie.

It will need everything a pc needs its a PC so much for innovation more like Archos is coming in line with other UMPC makers.(which I remember getting slatted by Charbax for asking Archos to make something like the Viliv s5 & 7) and now look they've made a UMPC As for windows7 im running it right now on my old oqo 01+ with 512 ram and a crappy processor and it runs fine. windows 7 is kind to UMPC so again thats nothing special. One good thing is that Microsoft will now provide the updates.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:41 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

would be fantastic if we could linuxize it

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:46 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

k000 wrote:

It got the same Intel PROCESSOR as other umpc and they all can load linux....... Its a PC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:51 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Tablet PCs are nothing new. I have a Motion Computing LE1700 running Windows 7 RC1.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:56 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

statsja wrote:
k000 wrote:

It got the same Intel PROCESSOR as other umpc and they all can load linux....... Its a PC

only fear is if Archos can somehow block it

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:03 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

k000 wrote:
statsja wrote:
k000 wrote:

only fear is if Archos can somehow block it

I cant see it but if they did who would buy it? Its only a PC so why would you buy a pc that is blocked? They are many UMpc's out there with similar specs so why would you buy a blocked one.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:39 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi
Yeah i think the idea of the Archos 9 is really cool but i also think that Archos will have the same problems like with former products.
Which costumers will buy this product?
For mobile entertainment it's definatly to big. for mobile working most people really prever a real keyboard because you could type much faster. And i think for games there is not ne needed hardware in ( but i don't know this for sure). This is also a reason why UMPCs weren't really successfull.
But the Archos 3 i thing looks pretty good. There just have to have a good price and it could get very popular.
To the Netbooks: Archos are really good at multimedia but in the notebook/netbook buissness are companys which are much longer in this business so i thing they won't have a big chance there.

Andy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:09 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

So since this is basically a PC one can come to the conclusion that we can add any media player software we choose to (ie. MediaMonkey) and be able to play .MKV files?

Also, any word on a release date since it's not the Android device we thought it would be?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It'll be below 400Ôé¼ on online web shops quickly, since Archos suggested retail price will be 450Ôé¼ at launch.

You can install Linux if you want, obviously. Don't know if Archos wants to release a cheaper Linux version.

You can connect a slim USB keyboard to it to type normally. The slim keyboard could double as a screen protector in my opinion. Since the device is so slim, there is space for a slim keyboard add-on to clip under it. There is a proprietary connector under it, so I would say, it would make sense for Archos to provide a slide-in, cover screen and snap out slim keyboard design for it, to replace the leather case also when transporting it around.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:25 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

On UPMCPortal.com they are saying that the Archos 9 will be 120gb, can someone confirm? Those extra 40gb sure would come in handy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:40 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

The spec says 80gb, I think I saw a slide during the presentation that it was available in 80 & 120GB (if it's a 2.5" SATA drive why not kick it up to 500GB).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:32 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Same problem as the Archos 10 netbook -- what does this unit have that all the other similar things from other vendors don't have?

Is there actually anything new about this, or is it just another re-badged commodity item like the 10?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:16 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Don't know. Viliv is getting the press on these things right now and with examples in the field. Viliv is let down by the lack of HDD space as well. Archos is known for high capacity -- why back off from one of the positive traits the company is known for?