Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:36 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:29 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have seen a review of the new windows 8 working in a tablet (a Sansumg one) here: http://www.xataka.com/tablets/tablet-sa ... a-en-video (the web is in spanish, but you can see the video)

It looks really interesting. Moreover, I have read that win 8 is les intensive in RAM ussage, so It could have a better perfomance in achos 9.

I know that win 8 is only in beta, but maybe some of yu have some of that betas and have tried it with the archos 9. If so, please share how it works.

Well, I myuself will l try in a near future to get some of that betas win 8 and see how it works in archos 9. But if someone has already done that would be fun.

Another obvious question. I know gen 9 is ready to appear, and it is dedicated to android honneycomb products and they look really good in their class. I am not an android hatter (allgthought definitively an IOS hatter xD), but I don't really fill that a honneycomb OS is the product I need. Well, the question, of course, is when an official archos with win 8 could be releasesd, any rumours? After all win 8 will be ready for 2012, probably ther beginings, that is, about three mounths. It is time to spread rummors ;-).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:56 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have the developer preview running on an Archos 9. Installation was straightforward but touchscreen doesn't work properly, I'll try loading Windows 7 drivers later to see if that improves it. The fiddly built-in mouse button works but much easier to connect a USB mouse.

Now have to figure out how to get the apps to work as so far we have only managed to open Control Panel, Windows Explorer (Not IE) and Desktop from the Metro interface. IE 10 will open from the desktop though. Wireless works so should be able to download drivers ok.

Speed seems ok but as we haven't got much working it's a bit early to judge.

Hopefully more later...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:17 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Now got the eGalaxTouch drivers loaded so can use a basic touchscreen but no swooshing yet (never did get that working under Win 7).
Although the Wireless seems to work - it detects our network - it won't connect but that may be a problem with the hub, or my typing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:18 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi also have running with eGalax drivers. Wireless works fine.
Do also have the problem running metro apps

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:21 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hi got the apps working by installing intel display driver in windows 7 compatability mode. Then setting resolution to maximum now all working :)
So far a lot more responsive than xp or windows 7 seems useable for the first time !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:06 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

AndrewGeer wrote:
hi got the apps working by installing intel display driver in windows 7 compatability mode. Then setting resolution to maximum now all working :)
So far a lot more responsive than xp or windows 7 seems useable for the first time !

Where'd you get the intel display drivers?
Either way, great news!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi,

I have test the Archos 9 with Windows 8 (developer Preview) and not that great on the Archos unfortunately.

don't get me wrong the OS back end runs it OK and in some places much quicker than Win 7, however as the platform has been created to run on tablets with a capacitive (multi-touch) screen and the Archos is resistive, it can be quite awkward when trying to navigate around the GUI especially in the metro app start menu.

Also another Major downside mainly to do with the ARCHOS 9, this being the chipset (GMA 500) which the onboard graphics is software accelerated the driver will not install correctly and therefore will not run in anything more than 800 x 600 resolution which results in the metro apps not being able to run as they require a minimum resolution of 1024 X 768 or greater.

It is still early days so this may change in the future, they will most likely change the resolution issue or ARCHOS may even release drivers for WIN 8 as like I say the OS runs much smoother and seems to be more stable, it is just then a matter of the multi-touch functionality which again this may change and be compatible for both capacitive and resistive displays.

So save yourself the bother for the moment, I will post back if there are any updates to fix any of the above issues which make it more usable on the ARCHOS 9.

Cheers,

Jason.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

@jasongalliuk & @ sonus - Install the drivers from the Archos web site and you can force 1024x768, then the metro apps will run (native rez is 1024x600 but they won't run at that rez, sadly).
ftp://support.archos.com/Archos%209/Dri ... 202024.zip

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:28 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Can we have videos please? ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:59 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

@philoneous are you sure as I have tried all the drivers and even the intel chipset drivers and they won't install due to compatibility even trying it in window 7 compatility mode or any other! What version of windows developer did you use? I used a msdn developer with tools download.

Cheers,

Jason.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:12 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

i got multitouch stuff working on it :)

i installed win 8 and loaded the new archos touch driver,then i had swiping and such :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:14 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

jms209 wrote:

i installed win 8 and loaded the new archos touch driver,then i had swiping and such :D

How about a link to the Archos touch driver? I've installed the dev preview too, and have the erz up to 1024x768. Mine has a flash memory drive inside and so far with no touchscreen working the thing is a pig to use.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

i have arhos 9 too and i want install windos 8 devoloper preview but i cant pass the begining on install , they will install driver, i can see in installing my c: and d: , i will install win 8 from usb stick. Please can you explain how to install win 8 please.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:31 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

4DThinker wrote:
jms209 wrote:

How about a link to the Archos touch driver? I've installed the dev preview too, and have the erz up to 1024x768. Mine has a flash memory drive inside and so far with no touchscreen working the thing is a pig to use.

well the bad thing is idk where i found it but i might be able to upload it later :)

it was an regular archos 9 touch driver,that some guy on the forum posted a while back
it was supposed to unlock the touch features on windows 7 but works on 8 too

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

jms209 wrote:

??? ...swiping is NOT multitouch dependent. Pinch zoom or two finger rotation are examples of multitiouch.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

sonus wrote:
jms209 wrote:

??? ...swiping is NOT multitouch dependent. Pinch zoom or two finger rotation are examples of multitiouch.

Most people should know what I mean....I. got the win 7 type feature, keyboard and mouse isn't on screen etc....

Post more later

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:25 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

well one thing that i noticed is that if i install the touch driver and then the graphics driver......then the archos won't work properly

i started to install the graphics driver and when asked to install the driver anyways because not deemed safe(windows) i click no don't install it anyways
an error occurs and then i rebooted......then change the screen to 1024 to 768,which you can do now, i believe :)

then installed the archos touch screen driver and then rebooted it,then calibrate and you should be able to go,with the metro apps and all :D
i'll upload the driver later today if i got time

any questions just ask(other than wheres the driver)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:42 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Which touch driver are you guys using with windows 8?

I've installed the HID beta touch driver and it seems to work but over all windows 8 is really sluggish. I tried the standard touch driver but it didn't seem to work properly.

I haven't upgraded my HD to an SSD and my A9 isn't overclocked. Its pretty much as I bought it.

Anyone else having sluggish performance running Windows 8 on their A9's?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:41 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Are the archos supplies realtek audio driverssupposed to work??? They don't for me,

I put iit down to the w8 is In development..... or is there a solve out there????

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:33 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Anyone made any further progress with Windows 8 please ??

Just installed it via an upgrade from W7 and damn does it take a long time, but it's not usable.

I've installed the latest GMA drivers from Archos FTP site, plus the latest Galaxy drivers. but still not touch screen.

Gonna try this out.