Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:28 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Archos 2 hard reset
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:28 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello,
I got the Archos 2 a week ago and have only been having problems with it. First, it keeps on telling me certain files are unreadable due to the file format even though I've made sure to have no more han 1 subfolder and that everything is in .mp3 format. After a while, as this got annoying I formatted the device in order to start over again, but once the files had been recopied to the device, it just said "attention no files" even when going into the Files folder. And, obviously, trying to read the files from the Music folder yields the same result. I then recreated the Music/Video/Photo/Data subfolders that were present on the device when I received it, and moved my music files to the Music folder, but still, all I get is a "attention - no files" message. And yet, the files are present when viewed from my computer.
As such, I was wondering if there was anyway to do a hard reset of the device in order to restore the original folder settings. Careful scrutiny has yielded no pin-size hole which is usually the sign of a hard reset button, and I am at a loss as to what to do now. This mp3 player is a week old and I am leaving for a 2 month vacation in a couple of days and would really appreciate to be able to listen to some nice music on my 11 hour flight.
Any help would be really appreciated, thanks in advance.

Sita

Post subject: Re: Archos 2 hard reset
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:02 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

So, if no one can help with the reset solution, does anybody know where I could maybe find the Archos 2 system files that were probably hidden when I first formatted it? I'm thinking that may help, too...
Thanks!

Sita

Post subject: Re: Archos 2 hard reset
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:50 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

So to answer my own question: if you've been an idiot like me and not checked how your Archos was being formatted (NTFS appeared as default and I didn't think to check) you may have formatted it in NTFS instead of FAT32. Hint: this is bad!
Easy fix: reformat in FAT32, transfer all your music back onto the device and, magic! It works!
Easier fix: don't be an idiot like me and just format correctly the first time round...