Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:43 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:51 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

OK, got myself an Archos 2 Vision in the post Christmas sales and I have say that I am very impressed. The sound quality is certainly much better than the Apple iPod Shuffle it is replacing. I have noticed, reading these forums and other web based reviews, that people are having problems with albums not playing in the correct track order. I too had this problem.

I am using Ubuntu Linux, but that shouldn't make any difference. So I checked all of the tags in the effected MP3 files and they were all correct, i.e Track Name, Track Title, Track Number, Artist Name and Album Name. Next I checked that all the file names were set to the same convention i.e Artist Name - Track Number - Song Title.mp3. Nothing made a difference. I was copying each album folder to the music folder of my Archos. So I reformatted my Archos and re-created the standard folders. Then I just copied all of my tracks into the music folder of the Archos, not bothering with seperate folders for each album. I just bundled them all together in the single folder. Low and behold that when I choose an album to play all of the tracks are played in the correct order. So the secret is not to have different sub-folders for each album, just bundle all you music together in the default music folder and make sure that your MP3 tags are correct.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thankx for posting. You set me on the right track. Using your discovery I experimented a little and found that the sort order for the Archos is the internal 'directory order' of the files in the device's FAT filesystem. It is not necessary to reformat the Archos. Simply 'move' (the linux term for cut-paste) the contents of an Archos directory to an empty directory on your hard drive, and move them back to the Archos directory one-by-one, in the order in which you would like them displayed by the Archos. The Archos is agonizingly bureaucratic :roll: , but at least the bureaucratic directives it follows are simple. #-o