Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:05 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Archos 2 problems
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:29 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I bought the Archos 2 yesterday and it has quite a few problems...

1. According to the manual, if you want to see the charge progress, you have to safely remove disconnect the device from the computer, but when I do this the animated charge icon indicating charge progress does not appear and the USB icon on the player's screen doesn't go away. You therefore have no way of telling when the Archos 2 player is fully charged, unless you completely switch it off and restart it, which is quite a lot of hassle.

2. Folders aren't listed in alphabetical order even when following basic naming protocols, such as leaving no spaces in folder names...

3. When browsing files, the up and down buttons often get stuck. This appears to be a software fault rather than a hardware fault. The software freezes and you have to wait, but only for a few seconds.

Another disappointing factor is that you can only browse files that are nested no more than 3 folders deep in the filing structure.

The sound quality of the player is very good with better headphones, and it's quite loud, but it's a shame about the faults listed above. I know the player is inexpensive, but I would rather have paid a few extra pounds for a properly functioning player.

Last edited by robo707 on Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:28 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Another problem is that once all the music files in a folder have been played, the player automatically goes on to play the next tracks in the following folder and there are no settings where that can be altered. This means that if you fall asleep, the player will continue playing until all the music files on the player are played, or the player simply runs out of battery power, and when you wake up, there's no power left. Very inconvenient if you intended to take the player out to begin the day with, as there may be no time to recharge it before going out.

Having mentioned these criticisms, the player does look very attractive and it feels great in the hand and to the touch. It feels and looks like a quality device that you can certainly feel proud of.

If these flaws can be corrected by a firmware update, it could be a top selling mp3 player. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the hardware... just some minor limitations and short-comings with the software.

Post subject: Re: Archos 2 problems
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It seems from the forum that different people have gotten different versions of the firmware on the Archos 2 already. I don't know when/if Archos will release firmware updates for it, but since some people have a newer firmware version number, I'd guess eventually Archos will release the firmware update on their site.. At least the sometimes buttons locking up thing should be fixed. That is, just checking this forum, people with the old firmware number are the only ones it seems that have this problem..

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:57 am 

i picked one up yesterday to just see what it was like, well im far from impressed tbh. i also own the 105 and the firmware is far superiour on that machine. other than the extra features this machine does - avi, radio and voice recording the rest is unpolished.

there are quiet a few bugs in the firmware ive found, the files are never listed in order when on cards, this is partically annoying when listening to audiobooks. but if i copy the excate same files to the machines internal memory they are all in order.

the files never resume where left off, if the machine shuts down it will always start at the beginning of the files, which is a lot of good when you have a 5hr audiobook track (no bookmark feature either).

ive played with the settings - and set the power to never, 120mins 60 mins etc but every time i pause a file for more than a couple of mins it always shuts off (or has crashed). then your back to the previous problem.

another thing is the battery life, the 105 is capable easily of 15 hrs, how comes this machine wont do 9?

i really wanted this to be a good player for mp3s, but ive found myself returning to the 5 or 105 for my mp3 music. on paper its a high spec machine, and it can be a very good machine if archos choose to update the firmware

my firmware is ver 0.1.05.1327
2009 - 05 -18

i suspect the software on this machine is not produced by archos. it seems too much like the mp3 players you get cheaply imported from china not the normal nice interface that archos provides with all the icons. but the hardware is nice and solid, screen is viewable even in bright sunlight - although i dont think i will ever bother trying to watch a movie on there.

i cant see the 2 listed on the site for support, does this mean there wont be any extra firmware?, there isnt that ive found any update firmware option on the player either - i hope this isnt the case.

the software they provide for a change to convert videos is simple but effective, not the fastest converter out there but perfect if you feel the need to watch movies on the player. i wouldn t be suprised though if the battery died before the movie finished to be fair.

if you need a cheap mp3 player with lots of space this is ideal, but if your a seasoned archos owner you will come to expect a more polished os on the player.
roy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Archos 105 (2GB) was released at $89 2 years ago. Archos 2 (8GB) is available at $32 now.

That's 3x4 = 12 times better value/capacity in just 2 years.

Sure the Archos 105 was more "in-house" and all. But on a pocketable Mp3 player, what do you really need.

Let's see if Archos fixes a few of the bugs in a firmware update. But I've been using it for over a month, and as an Mp3 player it works fine.

As long as tracks play smoothly and don't get interrupted, what else do you really need.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:06 pm 

Charbax wrote:

As long as tracks play smoothly and don't get interrupted, what else do you really need.

in order is helpful especially when using audiobooks. i dont generally listen to music outside the car or in my living room.
the 105 i bought about 6 months back and payed £20 - thats half the price of the 2. it has been rock solid tbh, ive had more crashes / bugs found on the 2 in 1 day than ive had with the 105 in all that time.

i really want this machine to take off, but i think archos need to add some of thier own magic to the machine before there is any chance of this happening. until there is a firmware update im sure my machine wont see the light of day again. this has the chance of given the icrap a run for its money with expandable memory slots and basic avi playback, but not yet -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

roylovelock wrote:
i really want this machine to take off, but i think archos need to add some of thier own magic to the machine before there is any chance of this happening. until there is a firmware update im sure my machine wont see the light of day again. this has the chance of given the icrap a run for its money with expandable memory slots and basic avi playback, but not yet -

Archos is updating the Archos 2 hardware and software in a few weeks with the Archos 2 Vision, that's 6 months after the initial Archos 2 release so it's a good move.

Yet, for $32 for the Archos 2 (8GB), that's 4x cheaper than the ipod nano for just about the same features. It's still absolutely a great value for money especially if they fix some of the few bugs, better support ID3 and playlists in a firmware update. The Archos 2 (8GB) is actually a huge hit and deserves to be.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:11 am 

Charbax wrote:

Everything should be geared to handle the spoken word. Bookmarks within files are essential, order of files nearly so. Mainly listen to magazines, lectures, and books rather than music.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:10 am 

is that what your talking about charbax? im now assuming the 2 will just be abandoned as an bad venture?
that machine does look nice though, but for my money i think i will be getting the 3 if the memory is expandable.
roy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:02 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

roylovelock wrote:

is that what your talking about charbax? im now assuming the 2 will just be abandoned as an bad venture?
that machine does look nice though, but for my money i think i will be getting the 3 if the memory is expandable.
roy

The Archos 2 is not a bad venture, it's one of the top selling mp3 players in many online stores. At amazon.com it's only $32, at Amazon.de it's 40Ôé¼, imagine that for a second. How insanely cheap this is.

Sure one or two features compared to the ipod nano might be buggy (firmware fixable) and perhaps a few features are not even there like bookmarks and management of playlists, yet the Archos 2 has pretty awesome features that the ipod nano does not have like voice recording, FM radio and a MicroSD memory expansion slot. Consider again, that the Archos 2 is between 3x and 4x cheaper than the ipod nano.

The Archos 2 Vision is supposed to come in and replace the Archos 2 I think, though it might be 20% or 30% more epensive at street price for the first couple of months or so on the market. The Archos 2 at this moment is shipping in huge quantities so demand for it will probably not go down immediately unless the Archos 2 Vision is somehow sold at exactly the same cheap price on release.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:59 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

With my firmware it resumes the music where I left it , but I only tested this with flac files, I didn't get any software with my Archos 2 Vision because I bought it via ebay, if there is a tool to retract the firmware from my Arachos 2 Vision , I'm happy to share it, so if somebody can make the application available to safe the current firmware version is 1.35 date 29/12/2009 FlashMenu 4.05/7.89 GB you are welcome.