Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:29 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:59 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi,
I need some advice please. The accessories that came with it were a USB-Micro B cable (I can charge with this on my PC but I only get abut 3 hours power. Weirdly I have to use my own USB-Micro B cable to get the PC to recognise the tablet). The DVR Station adapter & earphones. If I was to buy the USB Charger / Data Cable would this have any affect on the power hold? If not can anyone recommend a good external battery that will work in Ireland?

Thanks for any help,

New(old)Archos

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:35 am 
Archos User
Archos User

In order to effectively use the Archos devices, you can't really charge through USB. I mean, you sort of can, but it's so limited that it's not practical. This is because standard USB 2.0 is limited by current, and the device uses a LOT of power (and has a pretty sizeable battery to provide it).

If you can find a DVR station anyplace, you'll be glad you did... I personally own five of them (and have a total of four Archos devices... a Gen6 A5IMT (250GB), and FOUR Gen7 A5ITs (two at 500GB, one at 16GB, and one at 88GB).

The units are still terrific for ALMOST everything... except for internet (not for anything having to do with the devices themselves, but rather due to the built-in browser not being able to support the evolving internet-active-content standards, and thus not displaying many pages accurately, or "jamming up" or rebooting on especially content-heavy pages (just try to load a page with DISQUS comment sections, for example).

Your best bet for finding accessories compatible with this (including chargers, etc) is either to go to Gomadic (http://www.gomadic.com/ ... they make modular cables and so forth and have an Archos-specific plug module which, combined with their high-output chargers, works perfectly) or to NewMP3Technologies (http://www.newmp3technology.com/archos- ... ories.html).

I've bought from both, and have been happy with my purchases.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:56 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for your help Cary. No wonder I was having trouble getting it to charge. #-o
Anyway just bought these: Image Image
Hopefully that will solve my problem & I don't need a new battery like I initially thought I did. Image

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:17 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well this is really becoming a joke. The DVR Station arrived on Friday, but I can't use the thing because the Ireland/UK Plug adaptor was not included (they said all accessories that come with it were included). I sent them a email saying this. I'm giving them to Tuesday to see what they have to say, if no reply by then I will be sending a claim with eBay on Wednesday. I know I can get this http://www.newmp3technology.com/avp3a.htm replacement charger, but seller deserves to lose out for dishonest description.