It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:29 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:50 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Hi guys,

Have any of you seen THIS:

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-Inch- ... d_add_1_dp

It's essentially a 1TB (just a bit less, but pretty close) SSD drive, in 2.5" scale, and it's actually thinner than 9.5mm (it comes with a spacer to attach in case you can't live with less than 9.5mm).

It looks to me like the connector locations are "standard" and thus this should fit, just fine, in the A5IT.

I know that I need any Archos device to be running an "unlocked" Firmware, by the way... that's not really my concern.

I also know how to disassemble my Archos devices, as I've already replaced batteries in both my A5IMT (250GB) and ATIT (500GB) and replaced the HD (with an identical drive type) in the A5IMT. So, disassembly, while a royal pain, is not really a concern, either.

No, my concern is about whether or not it's even possible to run an SSD on an Archos IT or IMT in the first place. There could be issues with the speed, and general behavior, of the SSD which might make it incompatible with the drive controller circuitry on the A5IT and/or A5IMT mainboards.

So... I'm hoping that SOMEONE out there has experimented with this already. If so, I'd love to hear about your experiences.

(The reasons are obvious to ME, but in case they're not to anyone else... doing this would give me a lot more storage (not for more music, mind you, but lots more videos), would make the device a lot quicker overall, and would significantly increase the overall battery life.)

Thanks in advance!