Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:57 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Every other day or so, my Archos 48 (500GB) just stops playing and freezes up while I'm listening in my car. I'm using the Archos windshield mount.

I'm wondering if the vibrations could be causing the problem? Is it bad for the hard drive to mount to a windshield?

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Dan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:40 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

A little more info as I beg for a response. (By the way, if this has been addressed before, please point me in the right direction.)

Happened again this morning. Absolutely out of nowhere, the damned thing just stops playing and freezes completely. I can turn it off and on and then it works, but that takes awhile, then I need to reset the fm transmitor, reload the music player (GoneMAD), and, oh...DRIVE. This is beyond annoying since I bought this thing to store and play music. Anything else it does is trivial to me.

I recently bought a 48 to replace my 5IT, as this began to happen and I thought it was a hard drive problem with the 5IT, which I'd had for a little over a year but dropped a time or two. But now it is happening with a week-old 48 tablet, and I don't know what to think. Clearly it's not a hard drive issue.

I've got a lot of music - about 41k songs and almost 250GB of music. What is the point of a 500GB hard drive if you can't use it? It is no fun listening to music when you know it may just stop any second.

I will say that this happens almost exclusively in the car. But I went for about a year with the old one mounted on my dash and had no problems. Have I reached some sort of limit to how much music can be on it and still play normally? Or is it that mounting it in the car makes the HD shake too much? (And if so, why was it not a problem for so long?)

Anyone - some advice would be great.

I hate iTunes but an iPod is looking like a good option right about now.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:29 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I can only say... I have seen this with corrupted files. It always happens on the same songs at the same places. Remove those files, play something else... keep a list of were/when it happens.

The A5it and A48 run the same exact firmware. It seems to me that there is inadequate "error handling" capability, mainly in how the device handles playing back "bad media" but also in how it handles "illegal operations"in active content on webpages... in that case it just reboots.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:04 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Cary L. Brown wrote:
I can only say... I have seen this with corrupted files. It always happens on the same songs at the same places. Remove those files, play something else... keep a list of were/when it happens.

The A5it and A48 run the same exact firmware. It seems to me that there is inadequate "error handling" capability, mainly in how the device handles playing back "bad media" but also in how it handles "illegal operations"in active content on webpages... in that case it just reboots.

Thanks - I know it's been awhile, but I've realized that this is clearly not a problem with the hard drive or the files or anything to do with the music player I'm using (GoneMAD.) It always works fine at home. Battery notwithstanding, the thing would play for hours if I let it.

So, I realized that the freezing happens only at certain spots on my commute. And it *always* happens at those spots, no matter what apps are open or whether I'm using the FM transmitter or whether my A5IT is in the dash or vent mount or on the seat. The entire device freezes and I need to manually reboot. It happens again and again at the same places.

Something is obviously interfering with the device and causing this, but I have no idea what. It seems to always happen at traffic lights, so I think it's some sort of signal that wreaks havoc on the device.

I would love to figure this out. At this point I just avoid those intersections if I'm listening to music on the way to work, and then all is well. But, on longer drives, it freezes up at other spots. Weird...

Any thoughts? I wonder if I should repost this with a new heading since it is an issue with the device, not just the music player.

Dan