Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:50 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:19 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

So i bought an Archos 5 and DVR snap on to convert all my old videos to avi.

I have successfully converted all my old 8mm tapes via the old camcorder to the archos. easy, good quality. excellent.

now i have moved on to do my VHS tapes. I have a VCR with a scart adaptor to the DVR snap on.

Tapes that were recorded by the VCR from the TV (e.g. tv programmes) work and appear on the archos.

The menu system from the VCR appears on the archos too, so the connection works.

But my problem is that VHS's which were previously recorded from the camcorder dont appear -i get a black screen with 5 black and white-ish squares.

I presume this has something to do with NTSC/PAL or capture frame rate or something? i have tried playing with the settings on the VCR and the archos, but havent solved it yet.

Anyone else had this issue or got any ideas?

Thanks,
Jon.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:59 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I did similar with 8mm digital cam into dvr dock via svideo and RCA audio inputs and worked well - converted about 40 hours of tape. Not sure about the VCR though. I don't use scart as its not really a standard here in oz but if possible u could try composite in via yellow RCA cable?. From memory there might be an issue with the direction of the scart cable as they only work one way?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:02 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

the 8mm camera had an RCA yellow out and an RCA white (which i split) and connected to the DVR snap on RCA connections. that worked fine.

the only difference between the 8mm and the VCR is that my vcr doesnt have RCA outs, so i have a converter from scart to RCA. the converter has a switch for in or out so its not that.

also the connection works, as i can see some videos, so i dont think it is the connection. it must have something to do with the way the videos were recorded (from the cam corder).

im convinced its something to do with SP/EP or NTSC/PAL or framerate. just havent worked it out yet! going to give it another go tonight!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I replaced the scart to phono converter and all tapes work now!?!

As to why some would work before and some wouldn't all I can think is it was something to do with signal strength or something, and the old adaptor had rubbish connections or wires or something.

Anyway, problem solved but not explained!?!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:33 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Glad it worked out. If in doubt - check the cable I suppose (as unlikely as it seems)......