Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:46 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Archos 48 DVR Station
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Have an Archos 48 , would like to get a dvr station for it, what is the latest generation dvr available & dont sem to see a dvr station for the 48, any help appreciated.
Now have the dvr station, connected hdmi on station to hdmi on tv, connected output cables on dvr to sky box. Can now see archos on tv, play videos & music on tv, only proble is the sound is coming from the tv speakers & not the surround sound sytem connected via the amplifier. Does any one have any ideas how to solve this problem please.

Last edited by Peteroliver on Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:52 am 
Archos User
Archos User

There's no DVR station for any Archos device after the Gen6 series, sadly. The 48 can't use the older DVR station and Archos appears to be out of this business at the moment so don't expect an accessory to be made available for it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:40 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Camhostage is mistaken. The Gen 7 DVR station should work just fine for the A48 (which is really the same as the A5IT except for some small tweaks).

I purchased an additional DVR station just a few months ago. Realize that the DVR station requires the "mounting saddle" which came with the device you've purchased. If you don't have the saddle, the device can still be used, but you'll be putting a significant mechanical load on the lower-edge connectors which will lead to premature device failure at those connectors.

I purchased my DVR station through Amazon.com. You can likely find a number of these via Googling, though.

Here's the Amazon page...

http://www.amazon.com/Archos-DVR-Statio ... archos+dvr

This ought to work just fine for the A48.

The DVR station works very nicely, but it's less of a "DVR" than you might think, since the program guide is no longer available and since the device's ability to "tune" is entirely through the external device (say, your cable tuner box) and doesn't necessarily support the most recent cable boxes. Basically, it's a fast-charging station, a "TV interface" station, and so forth. Yes, you CAN use it to record... but you need a compatible tuner box, and you need to manually program your recordings... you can't use it like you'll use a real "DVR" box, by just choosing a show from a guide and selecting "record."

The little remote is nice... but I prefer a real wireless keyboard, instead, most of the time. The DVR station will permit bluetooth devices, or USB devices (including normal wireless dongles) to be used. In fact, I'm typing this on my Archos 5IT (same as the A48 but with the GPS module, essentially), in a DVR dock, using a Logitech Dinovo Edge keyboard, right now, and looking at the screen on my Samsung flatpanel on my bedroom wall, connected by HDMI.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:49 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Whoa, weird. For some reason, I missed both the DVR Station and the "DVR Snap-on" (which is basically a budget version of the DVR Station just for recording, with none of the playback features and no SVIDEO-in.) Not sure how I didn't catch those coming out, I started following Archos sometime between Gen7 and Gen8.

So then, the 48 is kind of a guts-replacement of the Gen7 Archos 5, whereas the Gen8 devices are all unique designs. That makes sense that it'd still be compatible with the older docking station.

Weird that they kept that form active though, shipping any device in 2011 with Android 1.6 is a questionable move (though this is a customized version of Android by Archos, and it probably requires a lower Android version in order to offer the root-shipped custom options this one can get away with.) And it seems unlikely that Archos will be able to revisit these "DVR" bolt-ons, we've gone Gen8, Gen9 and now the upcoming Gen10 without any talk of those options (with mini-HDMI you don't need a video station, but the DVR market is starving for alternatives.) It's too bad, I liked that product feature but it's not worth looking at a A48/5/7 right now, especially with the cut support in program guide and the lack of IR blaster. Still could be worth a few bucks for Peteroliver for the 48 you already have though, I'm curious for your further impressions if you do get one?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:58 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Now have the dvr station for the Archos 48, have connected hdmi from archos to tv & output leads provided from archos to sky box. Can now see archos on tv play music, videos, record from the tv, only problem is the sound is coming from the tv speakers & not the surround sound system i have connected by an amplifier, any help in solving this problem much appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:25 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

you really need to post more specific details of your connections for us to be of any use but I'm guessing you have hdmi plugged into tv from dvr station? If not, let us know.

With my setup (not with dvr and a5it but same applies) - I have a tv out optical running to my theater box so that anything playing on the tv is output to the amp if needed. Mind you, this is not 5.1 when output from tv to amp (just stereo).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:29 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for reply here goes the connections, the archos has hdmi to tv, output cables supplied go to sky box.
The tv has hdmi to monitor out on amp
sky box has hdmi to sat/cable on amp
surround sound has the speakers connected to the correct connections on the amp plus another connection going to the sw connection on the pre out section on amp
The amp is a Denon AVR2311

Any ideas how i can get the sound on the surround system when playing music etc from the archos ??

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:17 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Peteroliver wrote:
Now have the dvr station for the Archos 48, have connected hdmi from archos to tv & output leads provided from archos to sky box. Can now see archos on tv play music, videos, record from the tv, only problem is the sound is coming from the tv speakers & not the surround sound system i have connected by an amplifier, any help in solving this problem much appreciated.
If you connect the HDMI to an A/V tuner, as I do, it works fine. You can also switch the Archos to output video via HDMI but audio via SPDIF or RCA.